Oil Filter:

Air Filter:

Cabin Filter:

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Oil Filter:

Air Filter:

Cabin Filter:
Thanks, I got the numbers right but the prices are confusing... if I stick with FRAM, I get a cheaper oil filter (half price) but a much more expensive air filter and they don't have the AC10743... add the delivery fee and altogether you pay the same!

Super Moderator
Check the prices on Amazon plus get free delivery.

Super Moderator
From amazon.ca

Cabin Filter with deodorizer: $24.97
FRAM CF10743 Fresh Breeze Cabin Air Filter

Air Filter: $21.34
FRAM CA11050 Panel Air Filter

Oil Filter: $20.97
FRAM XG11665 Oil Filter

Note: Your air filter and cabin filter may have been replaced already and still relatively clean

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
Note: Your air filter and cabin filter may have been replaced already and still relatively clean
Maybe... but at 73,000 Km it should have been at least the third filters... anyway, my mechanic blew some air over the engine air filter (some dust came out) but refused to touch the cabin one until I have a new one ready... I totally agreed... I will replace both in the spring at the next oil change... no bad smell present in the cabin...

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
I called my mechanic today re the oil filter and he said he's replacing the filter itself only but not the cartridge... he's doing it for all DGC 2016, 2017, 2018 and 2019 with no problems... when asked about FRAM he said I could get one if I wanted to but he had leaking issues with them on Toyota Corolla...

Registered
Discussion Starter #9
Don't cheap out on oil filter.

Buy a Mopar oil filter.
that means dealership... double price :mad: and I am not convinced they have the best ones... but the highest prices only!

--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
that means dealership... double price :mad: and I am not convinced they have the best ones... but the highest prices only!
Many have reported (me included) using other than Mopar oil filter will cause a P06DD fault code.

Don't know why but that es a permanent code that will not erase until you change the oil filter back to Mopar.

Registered
I called my mechanic today re the oil filter and he said he's replacing the filter itself only but not the cartridge... he's doing it for all DGC 2016, 2017, 2018 and 2019 with no problems... when asked about FRAM he said I could get one if I wanted to but he had leaking issues with them on Toyota Corolla...
The oil filter doesn't have a cartridge to replace.

Reactions: Miron

--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
Your vehicle only have one oil filter, and many calls it cartridge:

Registered
Walmart carries the genuine Mopar oil filters. Yes they are more expensive then Fram. Very, very cheap insurance against engine problems.

Reactions: UN4GTBL

Super Moderator
Yes Miron, you are getting us confused. Does that thing on the top of LEVY's filter come off?

I have the FRAM TG in my vehicle now. Looks like I'm at around 13,000 km, better get it changed asap. I'm half tempted to leave the old filter in for this oil change. It's good for 25,000 km, or more, since my driving doesn't consist of short trips or much idle time. Those TG filter ratings (15,000 miles) are for less better conditions.

Super Moderator
Walmart carries the genuine Mopar oil filters. Yes they are more expensive then Fram. Very, very cheap insurance against engine problems.
I doubt the Mopar oil filter is any better than the FRAM Tough Guard TG11665. It likely has less filtration efficiency, and is overall more in line with the cheaper FRAM Extra Guard CH11665. Rockauto web site shows the Mopar in a lesser category (Standard) than the TG (Heavy duty)..
In fact, the Mopar spin on filters never had silicone anti-drain back valves (nitrile) whereas many higher end filters, including the FRAM TG, did.

Who makes Mopar filters? Good question, likely Purolator, WIX, Champion or FRAM. FRAM makes the Honda filters.

Super Moderator

--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
Welcome to the forum.

No, I don't think so.

I had my CEL on for many months due to that code, not any other problem, vehicle ran fine. Been using WIX oil filters until a couple of weeks, took my vehicle to the dealer for something else. Dealer service manager told me I was using the wrong filter, they changed oil and filter. CEL remained on but service manager told me it should turn off after some driving. Sure enough, CEL went off for good.
Looking through paperwork of transmission swap during my travel in Mexico, I found a document dealer provided along with other documents.

At that time, my vehicle has a C.E.L on, code P06DD. Dealer here in USA wanted to replace oil pump, I refused due to the fact that oil pressure was fine. I used my vehicle like that for some time, untill I had the accident in Mexico and took my vehicle to the dealer for a transmission replacement. Dealer noticed the C.E.L. on and did a complete inspection, they replaced oil and filter (at no charge) and informed me that I was using a incorrect filter (WIC, by the way). C.E.L. was still on, but they assured me that C.E.L. would clear by itself within the next 200 miles, it did.

Anyways, the included document read as follow:

STAR Case
Case Number: S1109000014
Release Date: 05/17/2012

Symptom/Vehicle Issue: Low Oil Pressure And/Ir MIL Illumination P06DD - Engine Oil Pressure Control Circuit Stuck Off

Discussion:
Vehicles have been showing up at dealers with engine runs rough and/or Diagnostic Trouble Code P06DD set. Dealers during normal diagnosis could also identify that the oil pressure is low.

Beside the normal diagnostic procedure possible causes the two items bellow should be verified:

1.- One cause of this has been determined to be that the wrong oil filter has been installed after an oil change by an independent repair facility or the customer that has purchased the oil filter in the aftermarket. These filters may be too short or even slightly too wide.

If this present, first verify that the correct Mopar oil filter has been installed. This can be done by verifying the part number on the filter ir that the filter has the Mopar symbol on it. If the incorrect filter is installed correct this condition and inform the customer that they should return to the ppoint of purchase for a refund.

The correct Mopar part number is 68079744AB.

2.- The second cause has been determined to be a cut or slit in the O-ring at the top of the pick-up tube on the oil pump. A bore scope can be used to view the top of the pick up tube to see if the O-ring is not seated all the way around the tube. The O-ring is blue in color and it should not be visible if installed properly.
STAR Case
Case Number: S1109000014
Release Date: 05/17/2012

Symptom/Vehicle Issue: Low Oil Pressure And/Ir MIL Illumination P06DD - Engine Oil Pressure Control Circuit Stuck Off

Discussion:
Vehicles have been showing up at dealers with engine runs rough and/or Diagnostic Trouble Code P06DD set. Dealers during normal diagnosis could also identify that the oil pressure is low.

Beside the normal diagnostic procedure possible causes the two items bellow should be verified:

1.- One cause of this has been determined to be that the wrong oil filter has been installed after an oil change by an independent repair facility or the customer that has purchased the oil filter in the aftermarket. These filters may be too short or even slightly too wide.

If this present, first verify that the correct Mopar oil filter has been installed. This can be done by verifying the part number on the filter ir that the filter has the Mopar symbol on it. If the incorrect filter is installed correct this condition and inform the customer that they should return to the ppoint of purchase for a refund.

The correct Mopar part number is 68079744AB.

2.- The second cause has been determined to be a cut or slit in the O-ring at the top of the pick-up tube on the oil pump. A bore scope can be used to view the top of the pick up tube to see if the O-ring is not seated all the way around the tube. The O-ring is blue in color and it should not be visible if installed properly.

Filter fixed my issue.

I just had the exact problem on my 2012 GC Crew model with the 3.6. I did replace the oil pressure sensor but ultimately replacing the filter with the Mopar branded one corrected the issue for me.

Sometimes it would throw the vehicle into somewhat of a "limp mode". Not the stuck in 2nd gear limp mode but one where the engine is not allowed to auto downshift and also not allow the engine to get over 3500 rpm. Pulling over and turning the engine off for a second would reset this.

This is due to the "possible" oil pressure issue from the P06dd code and the engine trying to preserve itself. The oil pump is a two stage setup and its my understanding that the first stage is up to 3500 rpm and thats why it will not allow it to go over that rpm. Not allowing it to auto downshift is just another way to keep the rpm's from spiking.

Filter fixed my issue.

I just had the exact problem on my 2012 GC Crew model with the 3.6. I did replace the oil pressure sensor but ultimately replacing the filter with the Mopar branded one corrected the issue for me.

Sometimes it would throw the vehicle into somewhat of a "limp mode". Not the stuck in 2nd gear limp mode but one where the engine is not allowed to auto downshift and also not allow the engine to get over 3500 rpm. Pulling over and turning the engine off for a second would reset this.

This is due to the "possible" oil pressure issue from the P06dd code and the engine trying to preserve itself. The oil pump is a two stage setup and its my understanding that the first stage is up to 3500 rpm and thats why it will not allow it to go over that rpm. Not allowing it to auto downshift is just another way to keep the rpm's from spiking.
Further info:

Note: This article was published on obd2 site on August 01, 2018. I posted it on this site on Oct. 25, 2016. That means two years after I posted, people still had problems with aftermarket oil filters.

Super Moderator
I believe the NAPA oil filters, that were causing a problem, were made by WIX.

The FRAM TG11665, that I am using, seems to have a clean bill of health. Works fine in my engine.

TSB LIST FOR THE 2016 DODGE GRAND CARAVAN

Nothing about aftermarket oil filters there.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts