The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2007 T&C Touring 3.8L 230k+ mi
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Evening everyone,

A few days ago I had replaced the starter on my 07 after it suddenly stopped cranking (just * click * sound). Crawled underneath to find the braided ground wire had completely disintegrated from corrosion.

Got a new one, TYC brand, and I’ve started having an odd issue. About 1/3rd of the time when you go to start the van, the starter will click and spin (sounds like a hand drill spinning), but the van wouldn’t even attempt to crank. I can let off and try again with the key in the ON position and it still won’t start.

However, if I twist the key back to the OFF position, and then try to start the engine, it will promptly fire right up. I fear that somehow my fuel pump is going out at the same time as the starter, simply because moving the key to OFF shuts off the fuel pump relay, and then trying again gets it to fire.

I am simply not sure, I don’t think it’s a faulty starter because you can clearly hear it spinning and engaging when the key is twisted. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
30,167 Posts
One click (relay) or constant clicking (weak power)?

Spinning? Clutch??

Starter is working but not engaging the flywheel?

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When it doesn’t work, I twist the key and I hear a single click, and it just spins. Does that mean it’s not spinning the flywheel?

It is indeed a new starter.

·
Super Moderator
30,167 Posts
Solenoid is just a switch but contact may be weak. It seems to be engaging (powering) the starter (spinning) though, but there's no gear contact with the flywheel.

Gear isn't being pushed out or not pushed out far enough? Sticking at times?

Starter alignment ok, bolts torqued to spec?

Your starter was a new TYC, not remanufactured. Warranty?

This guy's a good ...................... farmer. :)

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That would make sense if it were the solenoid then.

When it does work, it starts very quick with no grinding or odd noises, and I evenly torqued both mounting bolts to 35 ft lbs. Don’t think it’s an alignment issue. Seeing as I ordered it last week I’ll likely file for a return + refund and get a different brand.

·
Super Moderator
30,167 Posts
I have a TYC on my Jeep and it works fine. About a year old.

My guess is that the problem is at the gear end of the starter sticking at times. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Bad electrical isn't likely IMO.

·
Super Moderator
30,167 Posts
Some years back, about 2015, the starter failed on my 2007 DGC the same as yours did. Corroded wire between solenoid and starter.
Best price back then was a Mopar remanufacted starter from the Dealership. Go figure on that one.

·
Super Moderator
30,167 Posts
When I read off topic nonsense like this, I pay because some of my brain cells are committing suicide.:rolleyes:

You know PMs (private messages) are a thing, right? You could share your goofy little quips with Jeepman, and nobody else would have to read them.;)
Correct about "nonsense". Posts have been deleted.

Reactions: beat_truck

·
Super Moderator
30,167 Posts
Reactions: GS21

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Under the hood, I would remove the starter relay (label on top of relay box) and jumper terminals 30 to 87. That should actuate the starter and you can see if the engine is actually turning over. Insure the transmission is in P, parking brake set (always), and chock the front wheels to be safe.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts