The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Suddenly my 02 TC 3.8 suddenly began running extremely poorly, and threw codes for a fuel injector, throttle position sensor, battery temp.
This pointed to an electrical issue.
Web surfing reveals that this is a well-known problem. The fuel injector wiring sub-harness is routed too close to the exhaust manifold, and melts the 10 wires across each other, giving various odd errors.
Research indicates this is the best solution:
Mopar #5017114AA
Cost around $50-70 for the (non-self installing version)
Around $30 for the orange plenum seals.
Hope pcm isn't fried...

There is a question here:
Any suggestions on improving heat resistance on the 6 or so inches of harness from the 10.pin connector to the injectors?
I KNOW this must not be a very exclusive club, but I'd like to hear from you...
a

·
Registered
411 Posts
IF you can find wire-looms for underhood applications that mount on posts/studs, it will help.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good suggestion.
Probably look for heat reflecting tape as additional protection.
I'm also see if there's a better route to the 10x connector.
Hope to get a new harness in before the hurricane skims the east cost.
Makes for poor outdoor repairs...

·
Registered
411 Posts
Good suggestion.
Probably look for heat reflecting tape as additional protection.
I'm also see if there's a better route to the 10x connector.
Hope to get a new harness in before the hurricane skims the east cost.
Makes for poor outdoor repairs...
Do search for; ignition wire separators and plug wire separators

Prong wire types work really well. The separator will sit like a post on a threaded stud. This keeps the wire-harness from laying on hot items.

Here's a quick link to see what these look like.

Ram Truck version

·
Registered
411 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
MM
Thanks for your interest.
Local Chrysler dealer ordered p/n
5017114AA. Dealer price is $47.
This seems to be a fairly common failure.
Very difficult to see harness damage without removing the air plenum, to access the harness where it connects to the fuel injectors.
I found about 10in of melted harness from the 10 pin connector below the coil pack.
codes were for a fuel injector, tps, map sensor, and the money keyword:
P1478 battery temp.
Symptoms are sudden very poor running, shaking, white smoke from the exhaust, raw fuel smell.

I initially found this through wed research,, and to verify I was on track, I was able to get a cell camera way back to that 10 way connector.
Image showed that a pink-yellow wire had insulation dripping over brown-blue wire. Not easy to see, but after removing the air plenum, this harness is accessible.
Seriously melted into a solid mass.
If you have these symptoms look here!
Heat from exhaust manifold seems to be the cause.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Goo find. And the dealer cost for the part seems to be fair compared to other places on the web. Plus, no additional $ for shipping.

So, do you have a plan to prevent the newer harness going up in melted smoke down the road??? Or, does the kit come with additional hardware to correct the troubles? There are only 2 YT vids out there on this subject.

·
Drivin' Maniac
1,692 Posts
When I inspected my wiring loom, I secured it up, away from the exhaust, as high as I could.

·
3rd gen > all others
2,159 Posts
The connector should already be secured to a bracket, from the factory. The wiring harness does not lay on anything hot, but it IS close to the crossover pipe. I've seen heat reflective wire loom at Advance Auto (split loom, silver-colored that goes over the wiring harness). This is one of the issues I want to address when I do my engine swap.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
This aviation product is a possible solution to the problem at hand.
It is a heat protective sleeve available in a variety of diameters, sold by the foot. Good to over 2000 deg F

Also available in blue for Mr. Haines and standard orange color for aviation enthusiasts.
google "aviation fire sleeve" for other purchase options.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
MM
Very difficult to see harness damage without removing the air plenum, to access the harness where it connects to the fuel injectors.
I found about 10in of melted harness from the 10 pin connector below the coil pack.
P1478 battery temp.
Symptoms are sudden very poor running, shaking, white smoke from the exhaust, raw fuel smell.

I initially found this through wed research,, and to verify I was on track, I was able to get a cell camera way back to that 10 way connector.
Image showed that a pink-yellow wire had insulation dripping over brown-blue wire. Not easy to see, but after removing the air plenum, this harness is accessible.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
MM
P1478 battery temp.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
MM
P1478 battery temp.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
$47 is a great price. I would have bought that had I known. Compare to the ~$300 classic Mopar owners pay for an underhood harness (1 of 2), which is fairly simply wiring in the 1960-70's. In my 2002 3.8L, I found the injector wires by the cross-over w/ flaking off friable insulation, looking just like posted photos. A little ways away, it was still fine. As I recall, the wire loom had been pressed against the cross-over and the plastic loom was melted to conform. Perhaps some lazy factory guys didn't route it correctly on xxx vans coming down the line, maybe just Stretch Cunningham on the graveyard shift did that. I wrapped each individual wire with self-fusing silicone tape, over-wrapped all, split-loom, then thick aluminum foil tied w/ SS wire over that to reflect heat, plus secured it where it can't touch the exhaust pipe. No problems from there since. I 2nd using the silicone w/ fiberglass heat shield when you can. We use that where I work in aerospace. The silicone is good to ~300 F or even 500 F if you don't mind it charring a bit.

But a few years later, the engine occasionally sputtered and even died instantly sometimes. I would open the hood and wiggle wires and seemed like the main harness on the front side of the tranny had an effect. I later got it up on ramps, disconnected and pulled that harness down where I could go thru it. I found many wires stuck together, but the insulation was still good and only one place w/ exposed copper, which perhaps I had nicked when cutting back the loom. Re-wrapped everything and no problem in the ~6 years since. Most likely a wire for the crank or cam sensor signal was getting shorted or perhaps their shared 8 VDC supply wire.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
About this Discussion
13 Replies
6 Participants
BillGrissom
The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums
ChryslerMinivan.net is the best forum for Chrysler Town and Country owners to discuss mileage, price, problems, towing and more. Join now!
Full Forum Listing