The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Chrysler 300M 3.5L, 2001 Dodge Grand Caravan Sport 3.3L
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, new to the forum, was just curious if anybody was running LED turn signals in their vans without having to use load resistors. Or is there some sort of adapter harness I could buy to where I don't have to splice into my original harness, I would like to avoid that if I could.

Thanks!

·
Drivin' Maniac
2002 Grand Caravan ES 3.8L
2,048 Posts
Various solutions exist.

1. Retain ONE incandescent blinker bulb on each side
2. Buy LEDs with built-in resistors (check out a major source like Diode Dynamics or Superbright LEDs), no cutting required
3. Fit a blinker control made for LED lights (same two sources could help you)

Might be more solutions if you Google hyperflashing with LED Turn Signals or a similar search string...

Reactions: Road Ripper

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Various solutions exist.

1. Retain ONE incandescent blinker bulb on each side
2. Buy LEDs with built-in resistors (check out a major source like Diode Dynamics or Superbright LEDs), no cutting required
3. Fit a blinker control made for LED lights (same two sources could help you)

Might be more solutions if you Google hyperflashing with LED Turn Signals or a similar search string...
With the way the rear tail lights are designed, the LEDs with built in resistors did not work for me. I tried to use some for the front and they worked fine but when I would have the headlights or parking lights on, and tried to use the turn signal, I would get hyper flash.

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
2,062 Posts
I put resistors in parallel with each blinker circuit. Did it under the TIPM (5th gen) so it's out of the way and pretty.

·
Registered
40 Posts
We have been converting the classic cars that we restore to LED bulbs. We have been installing LED's in the front and rear turn signals and leaving the dash indicators incandescent. The "go to" flasher has been the Novita brand EP28. available at Autozone, NAPA, etc. I don't know if it would be a direct replacement in your case - I always have to build a pigtail to convert the 3 wire EP28 to the older cars 2 wire connection. And also, we also have noticed that it looks nicer to use the same color LED as the lens - red in the rear, amber in the fronts - the white LED's seem to wash out the lens colors.

·
Drivin' Maniac
2002 Grand Caravan ES 3.8L
2,048 Posts
And also, we also have noticed that it looks nicer to use the same color LED as the lens - red in the rear, amber in the fronts - the white LED's seem to wash out the lens colors.
That is always the suggestion from the LED bulb sellers, as well.

Thanks for the specifics on the flasher that works.

·
Registered
722 Posts
You need load resistors, because the BCM controls the blinkers. If there was a blinker relay, that could be modified with a diode or replaced with one set for LEDs.

On these vans, you need load resistors. They work fine. I have switchbacks in the front. White for driving to match the projectors and HIDs, which switch color to flashing orange when turning.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
We have been converting the classic cars that we restore to LED bulbs. We have been installing LED's in the front and rear turn signals and leaving the dash indicators incandescent. The "go to" flasher has been the Novita brand EP28. available at Autozone, NAPA, etc. I don't know if it would be a direct replacement in your case - I always have to build a pigtail to convert the 3 wire EP28 to the older cars 2 wire connection. And also, we also have noticed that it looks nicer to use the same color LED as the lens - red in the rear, amber in the fronts - the white LED's seem to wash out the lens colors.
I agree, I run color matched LEDs because it gives it a nice deep red tone, not a pink type color. Same for amber bulbs so they don't look too yellow. My 300 is set up this way.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I recently installed Syneticusa 3157 LED bulbs with built-in resistors. They work and look great!

2005 Town and Country bought new 250k miles

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I recently installed Syneticusa 3157 LED bulbs with built-in resistors. They work and look great!

I bought the same set for the front and they would work fine with no hyper flash, but as soon as I turned on the parking lights or headlights and tried to use the turn signals, they would hyperflash.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I bought the same set for the front and they would work fine with no hyper flash, but as soon as I turned on the parking lights or headlights and tried to use the turn signals, they would hyperflash.
Very interesting. I only put the Syneticusa LED on the rear since I wanted instant-on for the brake lights. Thomas Edison style bulbs in the front, no hyperflash. I also replaced the rear tail lamp assemblies since the factory ones were hazy.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Aren't LED turn signal bulbs a solution looking for a problem?

If I was camping in my van, I would certainly replace the overhead lights with LED's, but for anything else, why bother.

·
Registered
2005 Dodge Caravan SE 3.3L Vin Type R
43 Posts

You installed these for the blinkers?

I tried replacing my brake lights with some blinking brake lights. They flash like 5 times then go solid. I could only get them to work when you pushed the pedal, not when the headlight knob was turned. Maybe the correct turn is the brake light worked but not the ? marker? light.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Technically those flashing stop lamp bulbs are not legal for street use. The only lights that should be flashing are either turn signals or emergency flashers. But then again a large number of vehicles on the road these days seem to have some form of illegal exterior lighting.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Aren't LED turn signal bulbs a solution looking for a problem?

If I was camping in my van, I would certainly replace the overhead lights with LED's, but for anything else, why bother.
Brighter to make other drivers aware of what you are doing, a lot of people can’t drive or can’t see turn signals/brake lights, so it’s nice to have that extra projection.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Very interesting. I only put the Syneticusa LED on the rear since I wanted instant-on for the brake lights. Thomas Edison style bulbs in the front, no hyperflash. I also replaced the rear tail lamp assemblies since the factory ones were hazy.
Yeah I only put them in the brake and reverse, until I decide to just use load resistors lol.

·
Registered
10 Posts
You installed these for the blinkers?

I tried replacing my brake lights with some blinking brake lights. They flash like 5 times then go solid. I could only get them to work when you pushed the pedal, not when the headlight knob was turned. Maybe the correct turn is the brake light worked but not the ? marker? light.
Yes, I installed them on the rear brake/turn signal bulbs. I believe 2001-2003 uses a 3 bulb design while 2004-2007 uses a 2 bulb design. With the 2 bulb tail lamp housing a single bulb is the brake & turn signal. This is where I installed the Syneticusa 3157 built-in resistor LEDs. I left all the front bulbs as incandescent.

2005 Town & Country bought new with 251k miles

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yes, I installed them on the rear brake/turn signal bulbs. I believe 2001-2003 uses a 3 bulb design while 2004-2007 uses a 2 bulb design. With the 2 bulb tail lamp housing a single bulb is the brake & turn signal. This is where I installed the Syneticusa 3157 built-in resistor LEDs. I left all the front bulbs as incandescent.

2005 Town & Country bought new with 251k miles
Would the mounting points be the same on a 2007 taillight with the 2 bulb design for a 2001 with the3 bulb design? like do they essentially mount the same and are plug and play?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts