The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
3rd gen > all others
4,419 Posts
This was a dealership? Sloppy work! Was it covered under warranty, since the early Pentastars had a problem with one of the heads? Take it back, and complain about the cat converter code because if they hammered on it to get it back in, they might have damaged it and just ruined it for you. Those are expensive.

·
3rd gen > all others
4,419 Posts
I agree on going higher up, or getting a lawyer. This dealership screwed up bigtime, and if that is their usual way of business they should be reported. We have a forum section just for giving feedback on dealerships to recommend or avoid.

I do my own work, but even I mess up sometimes. I replaced the spark plugs in our 2011 Toyota Sienna before a long vacation trip. I had to loosen the air filter box to pull the air intake hose from the throttle body to remove the intake plenum. I thought the holes seemed hard to realign when putting the air box bolts back in, but they did go in and I tightened them down. While on our trip towing a trailer through the mountains, the check engine light came on and it was down on power. I had to rev at 5 or 6K to keep up with traffic uphill! Got to the motel that night and started researching the symptom. People were saying the MAF sensor could cause it. The next morning I opened the hood, looked at the airbox and noticed the intake hose was pulled partly off of the airbox side. Oops! :whistle: My bad! I felt around under the air box and felt a peg under it that went into a hole in a bracket - the box was not where it should have been. So, I took out a few bolts and reseated the box and made it right. Learning experience. Plugs are changed every 100,000 miles so they'd never been done, and who knows if I'll ever have to do it again?

I also learned not to use 85 octane in fuel injected vehicles. The cheap fuel was my first suspect, so we started putting 89 or 91 octane in the day it was happening and it helped a little. Wife googled it and 85 octane is mainly for carbureted engines used in higher altitudes. I'm glad it didn't damage the engine! It runs great after correcting my mistake. 😂

Hopefully the same thing is happening with that intake plenum not mounted properly, causing the code. I never did check what my codes were, as the cause was right there and I had to disconnect the battery anyway to move the airbox. Didn't get any more lights or codes the rest of the trip, from Wyoming to home.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts