The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I just had the driver side axle replaced on my '01 Voyager. After it was replaced, I noticed that when I took it for a test drive, it started to make a clunking sound when ever I would make a turn while driving it. Now whenever I back up out of my driveway, I would hear a loud clunk/popping sound and the wheel would become "locked" until I put it into drive. Any Ideas?

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
Get it back to them ASAP, and don't let them tell you there's nothing wrong. Also, don't let them tell you it's another problem.

If you paid them by credit card and they refuse to fix the problem, you can stop payment on the charge.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I will check it out after I get back from vacation, it does sound like a broken axle. Good thing it has a lifetime warranty! Purchased it at autozone.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Sounds like they left the brake caliper adapter bolts lose. I would not drive van untill
I was sure caliper was tight. It could jam and lock wheel, ah kinda like it does backing
out of your driveway.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Hi, I working on and will eventually write my half axles' saga, but since I feel your pain, I will summarize quickly:

1) oem cv joints started clicking/clacking on my 01GC in 2010
2) installed AZ new ones
3) engine braking on turn last month bent driver shaft and created wobbling
4) saw pass boot leaking already
5) got free replacement new axles but they didn't fit since even with the same pn (8259n and 8260n), the pressed-on dust shield that isolates the hub bearingsaws too big in OD and didn't fit in hub ****** big warning to you all ******
6) got free reman AZ axles that didn't even have the shield and swapped 2010 shields and installed
7) very slight clicking on turns on these reman, but will live with it

Free=warranty swap/exchange but axle is $20 cheaper now than 2010 at AZ.

I am really good now at swapping axles!!!
Mike

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Been a while, I had the driver side axle replaced again, but the noise is still there. It is more of a metal to metal popping or clunking sound. The ball joints were replaced in July, could this be causing the issue? Also, when I am attempting to back out of my driveway, I can only turn the wheel so far then the noise appears and the steering locks up, everything is fine if I put it back into drive and pull in my driveway. Does this sound like bad tie rods or a bad driver side ball joint?

PS: I can't turn the wheel when I get into the street!

·
Registered
409 Posts
In the front suspension there are 2 links (one at each side), if the rubber in the links goes bad you hear a metalllic clunk sound. Maybe you have problem and is not the axle. Pretty common in 3rd gens, no idea in 4th ones because this is the 1st time I have one that new hehe

In my 3rd gen 3.0 vogayer the non driver side link rubber never been replaced neither clunked, the driver side has been replaced once already. Looks like is the driver side the one that mess up all the time, at least in my 3.0 3rd gen.

·
Latent car nut
9,235 Posts
[soapbox]
I am not a fan of most aftermarket axles, regardless of whether they're "New", "Remanufactured", or "Rebuilt". Over the years I've read countless posts talking about issues following an axle replacement; so frequent in fact that I'm now to the point where I will only recommend either OEM axles or "New" units purchased from raxles.com. Regarding the AutoZone axles mentioned in this thread; regardless of make, model and vintage of vehicle, I've heard so many AutoZone/axle related complaints that I would never recommend an axle from this source, and the fact that the OP is running their axles would lead me to rule out all other causes as the source of the problem.
[/soapbox]

·
*yawn*
2,992 Posts
No need for a soapbox - Shipo is right. Aftermarket axles of all kinds are hit/miss... One miss is not worth the time/effort/$.

-Jim

·
Latent car nut
9,235 Posts
So, should I just replace the new axle with the remanufactured axle?
No, as I wrote before, remanufactured axles are usually worse than new axles.

The ONLY source for aftermarket axles that I've consistently heard great reviews for is Raxels, Inc. (http://www.raxles.com). Were I in your shoes, I'd contact these folks and buy a new axle from them.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
For the **** of it, I decided to swap the axle again. This time at least, it isn't like the axles I've been getting before that were too short, this one however, matches up perfectly with the original axle. I will post a follow up once the axle is installed!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Replaced the driver side axle with a auto zone reman which is longer than the new one I had originally bought. However the popping/clunking sound has stopped on the driver side, but now the passenger side makes the sound. Guess I will be taking another trip to autozone later today with the passenger axle to grab a reman. What I have noticed with the reman and the new axles is the remans seem to be built a bit better than the brand new ones.

·
Premium Member
2,131 Posts
new ones are made in China. Rebuilts hopefully use the cores that were original to the car. There are a handful of companies that rebuild them, some are better than others.
I think it is a crap shoot.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The axle issue is fixed, now the only issue is while attempting to drive it down the street, there is a pop/snap and the van will veer off to the left or right whenever a turn is made and the steering wheel will be pointed in that direction while veering. What could the problem be?

·
Registered
284 Posts
Is this something new, or was it present throughout your axle fiasco? Sounds like a binding strut mount bearing or broken coil spring, if you've ruled out the axles.

·
Premium Member
2,131 Posts
How old are your struts? Sounds like you need to assess all of the front end components.
A good alignment after replacing all of the worn parts should also help.

You story on the axles is interesting.
I did some research, when my axles need replacing, I am going to try the Mopar re manufactured axle assemblies. The prices are reasonable.
$50-80 (quick search)

2001-2001 minivans
left R2073659AC
right R2073669AC

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Struts, tie rod ends, ball joints, and sway bar links were replaced in July-August. This problem was present since the axle issue. Just had to replace the passenger tie rod end again on Sunday because it was flopping around like a knife in butter, made no difference. I inspected the struts and they appear to be OK. Could this be a tie rod issue, or is it something else?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts