The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i just recently swapped out all four disc rotors and new pads. spun the rear pistons all the way down, pushed the front pistons all the way in. popped new rotors and pads in. put everything back together and went out for a drive. after about 20 minutes, the brake pedal pressure returned back to normal, and all driving + stopping returned to normal.

got her back home and noticed a burning smell. checked all corners to find that the driver side rear is literally smoking. upon closer inspection, it seems as though the piston engaged and then won't let go. it's certainly not super tight like if you've engaged the emergency brake but tight enough where it's making constant stopping pressure.

when i drive around, i don't really feel it too much tugging on the car. i'm wondering if i just need to drive it until it breaks in and wears off a certain amount of brake pad material and then it will be back to normal?

any ideas? i've already taken it apart and respun the piston back down, then took it out. after 20 minutes, all is well but that one piston is biting a bit too hard all the time regardless.

it must have caused a code cause i pulled code C120A. would the abs/speed sensor cause this extra bite?

thanks ahead of time, i'm just gonna pay close attention to it. all the other brakes are fine and do not exhibit any abnormal behaviors.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Are the caliper slide pins binding? There have also been reports that the pads sometimes get stuck or drag and the tabs need to be filed down a bit to clear it. IF it isn't either of those, I'd replace the caliper. I had that issue in the past and caliper replacement solved it. I would not continue to drive it this way.

Reactions: GCTruckster

·
Registered
481 Posts
Check the sliding pins and lube them, as they should be lubed anyway during a pad change at the very least. Also, as mentioned, some aftermarket pads may have a tight fitment in the bracket and may need to be filed down a bit. If all of that check OK, probably the caliper needs to be replaced or rebuilt.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Also, as mentioned, some aftermarket pads may have a tight fitment in the bracket and may need to be filed down a bit.
Make sure the pads are not stuck/wedged in the carrier, you want them to be able to move.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I had the exact same problem with my rear brakes. Like a fool, I did not replace the metal clips, one I replaced these, they worked fine. The original clips get corroded easily and must be replaced with the pads or else the pad will stick and not back off the disc causing the burning smell. I also recommend replacing, not turning down, the original discs, they are very cheap but you will be able to see when you remove the wheel if it is good or not.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts