The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
DO NOT OPEN LIFTGATE WHEN COVERED IN ICE

Over the weekend we had a minor ice storm in our area. I went to warm our 2008 T&C and defrost prior to going out. After 15min of warming I got out of the van to get the ice scraper out of the truck and pushed the button to automatically lift the liftgate. I next heard a cracking sound and stopped further movement of the liftgate. When I went to the back I saw that one side of the spoiler w/ chmbl was loose. Upon further inspection it was clear that I had a major project on my hands.

The pinch point between the spoiler and roof bound with ice while opening and broke almost all of the mounting features from the underside of the spoiler. I fully removed the spoiler after removing the one and only bolt still holding it in place. The spoiler mounting points are likely permanently destroyed. I do plan to try to glue pieces from the mounts back together and will also source new plastic push clips.

There is one issue that I could use help with. There are two mounting bolts that are torn loose from the spoiler that are not accessible without removing the inside panels from the liftgate. Any tips on how to remove these without damage? Thanks in advance for any advise.

·
Banned
547 Posts
That really sucks.

If you go to the Mopar accessories catalog and lookup the backup camera option, it has an installation PDF file.

Within that file are instructions for removing the trim panel.

Ask me how I know :)

·
1000 Post Club Member
2,502 Posts
I am not familiar with this particular spoiler, but most I have seen have some way to attach the spoiler to the two towers which project up. If you can find out how to remove the spoiler, underneath, you may find long screws going all the way through the two towers and into what are called WELLNUTS. They are rubber slugs with a nut imbedded in the far end of them. You stick them into a hole, and as you tighten the screw into them, it draws the nut and the rubber up against the sheet metal and forms a very strong attachment point. I don't think you should have to take the inner panels off, but it is possible.

·
Banned
547 Posts
Open the rear liftgate.
Remove the two fasteners on each side of the liftgate.
Remove the upper trim panel on the rear lift gate
NOTE: The two outboard clips are accessible through holes and can be compressed with a 8mm socket. The middle clip is blind and requires a 8mm box wrench. If the center clip is broken it is service part.
Remove the two fasteners and unclip the 3 pushpins for the rear spoiler.
Disconnect the electrical connector for the brake lamp.
Disconnect the washer hose from the spoiler.
Remove the spoiler from the vehicle.

-----------------
rear backup camera install sheet showing hatch trim removal:

http://moparestore.trademotion.com/moparimages/accessory catalog/images/isheets/K6860480.pdf

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
sselander,
Thanks for your assistance. I have the spoiler reinstalled and operational.

Step-1 remove upper trim panel from liftgate and remove remaining mounting bolts and remains of plastic mounting clips. Step-2 find all broken mounting pieces and glue w/ high quality epoxy designed for plastics. Step-3 (original Chrysler plastic mounting clips are not available through Chrysler or anywhere else). Sourced similar GM part and modify to fit. Step-4 reconnect chmbl wiring and rear washer tubing. Step-5 apply silicone caulk over mounting holes (better seal than orig) and then reinstall spoiler to lift gate, use rubber hammer to seat new plastic clips and then retorque mounting bolts. Step-6 reinstalll liftgate interior trim.

Thanks again for all assitance and advise.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts