The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i recently purchased a 2005 town and country.amoung the many issues I am having the motor on the liftgate is gone.
I really do not need a POWER liftgate can I change this to manual with not much cost and do it myself?
PLEASE HELP

·
Registered
2009 GCV SE
639 Posts
The non powered lift-gates use 2 compressible struts on either side of the lift gate. I believe the powered lift gate has 1 strut on the passenger side, right?

The screw holes will be there for the power side of the gate, and you should be able to unbolt the power arm from the gate and replace it for the compressible strut. The same for the passenger side if it doesn't have the strut.

·
Registered
2007 Dodge Grand Caravan (SE) 3.3l Blaze Red Crystal Pearl 219,990mi
24 Posts
i recently purchased a 2005 town and country.amoung the many issues I am having the motor on the liftgate is gone.
I really do not need a POWER liftgate can I change this to manual with not much cost and do it myself?
PLEASE HELP
By you saying the'' lift-gate motor is gone'', do you mean it does not work? or is it just not installed? I am pretty sure, you can replace the tail gate with any year 4th gen. If you do complete the job at home, you might want to have an extra set of hands to help the gate into position. I can only see the difference on the power lift gate it appears to be a small hole to insert the arm for the power motor.

Maybe other people might be able to give you more info....

Here is a video that might help you.

·
Drivin' Maniac
2002 Grand Caravan ES 3.8L
1,920 Posts
I believe the powered lift gate has 1 strut on the passenger side, right?
Don't know about the 2005, but our 2002 (with power liftgate) has TWO gas-assist struts. Only one strut would twist the tailgate (or worse, the body structure) over time.

(Our Gen1 '84 Caravan had the bodywork where the struts were attached crack away from stress! Needed to be welded and repaired.)

·
Registered
2009 GCV SE
639 Posts
Don't know about the 2005, but our 2002 (with power liftgate) has TWO gas-assist struts. Only one strut would twist the tailgate (or worse, the body structure) over time.

(Our Gen1 '84 Caravan had the bodywork where the struts were attached crack away from stress! Needed to be welded and repaired.)
You're right, there are 2 struts+the power gate. So I guess just remove the powered strut piece which attaches to the motor.

·
fix it if you can
5,135 Posts
the motor on the liftgate is gone.

Welcome aboard,
FWIW, there's no power lift motor on the gate (it's mounted on the upper LH quarter panel of the van).
The power gate should operate just like manual gate when you use your muscles.

If you're having problem with the gate opening or closing the latch, those are different motors. The release 'button' pads are also known to cause problems (due to resistor contact sending them out of MUX).

If you plan on taking a manual gate from a donor and putting it on your van, you need to make sure BCM (body control module) will work with the manual latch - you may need to modify wiring - if BCM doesn't recognize latch open/closed "state" it will bug you about open gate, turn on gate light and chime...

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
PLEASE HELP
Welcome.\
So what is the situation? Can you not open the lift gate?
Even with the powered lift gate models, you should still be able to open/close the lift gate manually. Is that not the case for you?
No need to even disconnect, just use as normal.

The powered lift gate has safety features so it will sense a small person stuck in the closing lift gate or if you accidentally tried to open it when parked against the wall. It will sense the additional 'strain' on the motor and cease operation. Usually with a "bong bong bong'' alert. MY POINT BEING, if the gas charged weight assist struts are weak or completely flat, then the lift motor may just stop when it strains.
Replacing the lift struts will probably make it easy to handle manually AND may even get the powered lift working again as a side bonus.

I think I got mine on Amazon or eBay for $20ish each.

Welcome.
Please let us know what you find, what you learn, and how you fix your mini...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts