The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
08 grand caravan sxt 3.8 6 speed 62te 206k miles has been going into limp mode occasionally and is now stuck in limp mode.The codes said camshaft position sensor so I replaced it and it didn’t make any difference.Code for throttle position sensor so I replaced it and it had much better acceleration and throttle response until I got a mile down the road and it went right back to limp mode.There was also a code for low battery voltage and high battery voltage.I thought maybe a loose battery terminal spiked my ecu/pcm/tcm so I ordered an ecu and it took a month to arrive.I installed it and still in limp mode.I tried every relearn procedure I could find on internet but still no luck.No transmission related codes were showing but it seems like when it started going into limp it would happen when shifting into reverse or when downshifting as I slowed down on the highway or speeds above 40 and as I would slow down the throttle would burp and gurgle and run rougher and shake a bit.I could usually shut the engine off and start it back up and it would run normal but after so many times it is now stuck in limp mode.I’ve been stranded in Tacoma Washington for 6 weeks I travel in this van and it’s my work vehicle for Doordash.I figured since replacing throttle body didn’t fix it and was almost $300 after tax at autozone I returned it.I am probably gonna return pcm/ecu also since it didn’t fix it.I am assuming it is transmission solenoid pack or tcc solenoid and I’ve been searching junkyards for these because my account has dwindled low and I have no income coming in without a vehicle to door dash.I have just enough to buy a solenoid pack refurbished online and if it doesn’t fix it I am not only stranded but broke and stranded.Magically I started the van the other day and it ran completely fine so I immediately started door dashing and worked allday in fear that I’ll be in limp mode any second.It ran and worked but had terrible gas mileage and was still gurgling on deceleration and mostly shifted smoothly but had a few hard shifts .The next day after a few hours of driving I was going up a steep hill and the dreaded lightning bolt came back on and I am back in limp mode and the code is again saying throttle position sensor and I constantly check the transmission fluid and notice it’s turning darker than usual.So I’m considering getting a cheaper throttle body ,transmission solenoid pack and tcc solenoid and changing fluid and filter and if these things don’t work I’m traveling on foot i geuss.The van is a mini camper and I am from Ohio and hope to fix it so I can go home one day but either way this has been quite an adventure.I’ll also add the transmission fluid seems hotter than usual and I started noticing a burning smell sometimes on hwy and sometimes going uphill,it smells more like rubber like tires but I’m not a mechanic that’s why I’m on here pleading for help.I have all my own tools and have fixed everything that has came my way but I have no transmission experience and am a little bit intimidated by them.The solenoid pack looks do able and fluid and filter do able but not sure what else it could possibly be.I also have to unhook my battery every time I shut the van off or it will drain overnight from the automatic locks constantly locking every minute or two.If anyone is in the Tacoma area I will be your servant if you can fix this and I have a little money but it’s dwindling fast.If anyone out there has seen this situation before I appreciate any advice you have.I am certain it’s transmission related but the codes keep pointing to TPS and I limped it to AAMCO transmission shop after being stumped and even they said they have no clue and recommended an electrical shop about 40 minutes away.I’d hate to abandon this vehicle when it seems like it can be fixed and was running fine a few weeks ago and then ran mostly fine for 2 days but I am stuck in limp mode right now it only has the new pcm/ecu and camshaft position sensor and the junkyard has nothing compatible out here and all parts I order online or at auto zone put me at risk of being broke and stuck in limp mode for life.Hope I didn’t rant too much,trying to give as much info as possible.Please help I’ll do anything!
Another thing I don’t understand is why I’m not getting transmission related codes when the limp mode only started happening from shifting into reverse and when downshifting from highway speeds or coasting down hill or going uphill.I’m no mechanic but my logic says transmission related. I think I should have kept the Throttle body I bought and returned since it seems to have made it perform better for the one mile I used it but since I wound right back in limp mode it obviously didn’t fix it. I definitely can’t afford a rebuild so if I can’t fix it myself it’s time to say goodbye to the van,I have drove it coast to coast to Miami and up and down the east coast last year and across the country up and down the west coast this year and as a door dash driver daily I’ve racked up tons of miles and I know I have to change transmission fluid and filter but first I gotta get out of limp.It also had a code for pedal position sensor but I don’t want to replace things for no reason like I already have.A person suggested it could just be a bad ground wire but I don’t see why that would be the culprit if it was going into limp when shifting.I probably shut off and on to make it run normal about 20 to 30 times before it got permanently stuck in limp and at first it was only once a month then once a week then once a day until it would no longer go back to normal and I also notice that when the key is in the on position after the beeps and chimes the engine light and the lightning bolt stay flashing simultaneously and I’ve never seen that before and can’t find anything on it when I search the internet.I may have had too much transmission fluid in it so I removed some but it’s still slightly above the recommended level and it seems like the transmission is overheating and all I can think is transmission solenoid pack and am gonna order one and try my luck. The junkyard is crawling with 4th generation 3.3 v6 caravans and town and country but nothing compatible with mine and I have been there several times over these past weeks hoping for something to arrive.They just got a 13 avenger sxt 2.4 6 speed but idk if that is compatible with my 3.8 but I will go there and ask them to check.Idk what other info I can add but if I think of anything I will add it .thank you .God help me

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
5,319 Posts
There's an enter key on your keyboard... use it.

Possibly a clogged filter, but I only read a few lines before losing track in that unspaced mess.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Suggest having the battery and charging system checked out. Chrysler computer modules do not tolerate low voltage conditions well and will cause all sorts of weirdness and random issues. What is the age an condition of your battery? If over 3 years, I would suggest replacing it.

Also suggest to stop firing the parts cannon and spend the money on a diagnosis by a trusted mechanic. Most likely there are dtc's galore that need to properly addressed

I did see the part where AAMCO was stumped and let you leave without suggesting to replace the transmission.....

·
Registered
2017 DGC SXT
374 Posts
Seems like an electrical issue. As goose recommended, check out your battery. Most parts stores will check your battery and charging system for free.

Reading through your post, the person recommended cleaning grounds because dirty grounds can cause various electrical issues.

Throttle body codes, cam sensor code, throttle position sensor code, battery draining over night (parasitic draw), and probably other electrical issues that I read but can’t remember. This is why I think and someone else thought you have an electrical issue.

You should stop buying parts and guessing. I get it, money is tight. But the throttle body you bought alone could’ve bought 2 diagnosis’s (assuming a diagnosis is $150). Sometimes it’s cheaper to let someone else figure out the problem.

Besides checking the electrical and charging system, do a transmission fluid and filter change. Use a cheap filter since money is tight and it may or may not fix your van. Walmart supertech atf+4 is fine and cheap. The shuddering when slowing down from over 40mph seems like a torque converter issue.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
After much headache and changing tcc solenoid in transmission and wiggling the throttle body wiring it came out of limp but still keeps going back into limp and I pull over and wiggle tps wires and restart,I’m gonna find a new connector at a junkyard and pray that solves it for good.I’m at least getting closer to solving it.And battery alternator tested good btw.I’ll post again if I get more info

1 - 5 of 5 Posts