The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been a nerd for a long time, and my van is a big part of that. I first got into the chrysler vans in middle school, first and 2nd geeration vans -- I thought they were the coolest looking bricks on the road -- and I went searching for one. and just my luck, My great grandad had one sitting in his driveway, which was gifted to me (under the agreement that i'd get it on the road) when I was in 10th grade.

so, I started working on my van, first put a battery in it and turned the key, it cranked but didn't start. Sure enough, the fuel pump went bad, Thanks to bad gas (since the van had sat for at least ten years in that driveway) it had gotten full of rust, along with the tank. so, I put my first $300 into the van, replacing the tank and fuel pump/sending unit. Sure enough, once I got those installed, the van started right up, and I put it into gear and it trotted on home, like it wanted to live.

After some more work, fixing the leaky fuel tank vents, flushing the cooling system, a good wash and oil change (replaced them with rubber hoses and grommets since the plastic hoses had turned brittle and broken, leading to the van to leak gas when it got warm) and putting new tires on it, I took it for its first drive in a couple of months, and as I returned home, I saw a puddle on the ground. Thankfully it wasn't the fuel issue I had been working on for weeks at this point, it was the water pump that had gone bad. That weekend I replaced the pump, and oh my gosh the motor was so much quieter after that. and the van ran well.

That Christmas (2021), dad got me the plates for the van and four new tires. and it was looking like I'd be on the road. After i lined-up the headlights and threw new wipers on the van, I took it to the gas station in town. Before this trip, I had only put 30 miles on the van, and surely this 5 mile trip wouldn't be an issue. It went to the gas station and filled up without issue, on the trip home was when things went south, About a mile from my house, I heard a loud bang as the van jerked, and i put it in neutral and killed the engine. Worried, I got out and looked under the van, nothing was leaking so, I started the van and put it in gear, It accelerated to about 20 miles/hour, before it felt like the transmission wasn't attached to the wheels. the engine just raced but the car didn't go any faster. so, I stopped again, and after some fiddling i found the car would creep forwards in gear, and i limped home.

Around march we had finally had the money put together to get a new transmission installed in the van, and I had a remanufactured unit and a new torque converter put in. Then I replaced the front brake pads and, for awhile all was good. The van was reliable. Until this July, I started having brake problems, My brake fluid leaked out, and the only place I could think it would leak from was the rear drums. so I rebuilt those, new cylinders and all. Turns out it's still leaking, and after some more investigation I found that the front-passenger caliper was bad.

Along with the brake problems, I replaced the front struts recently and, the camber is way off. Took the van to an alignment shop and, it needs tie rods before any shop i've been to will touch it. And one more problem with it right now is some body damage due to my own mistake. I had tried replaccing the hood release cable, and with it not lining up with the latch after I took it apart, I took the latch off trying to align it. Turns out that night, I had gotten frustrated with it and just closed the hood, leaving the latch on a table. (The problem being the hood would close, but with the cable, it required too much force to get it to open again). I took the van out the next day, forgetting that the hood latch was not on. and I ended up getting on the interstate, the hood flew up and hit the windshield, it didn't break the glass but it did bend the hood a bit, along with the bits that attatch to the hinges being a little torn, due to the stress. (I'm sure a new hood would be all I'd need to fix that).

So, as of right now, the van needs tie rods, minor body work on the hood, and new brake calipers to be reliable. Along with that, I need new headlights (mine are yellowed and cracked a little) (and the adjustment hold-down bushings, Which I have been unable to source replacements for), and a new windshield because this one is cracked and leaks in heavy rain. Paint being 90s chrysler paint, is also falling off on bits of the body.

I'm over $4000 into this van, and I love it to death but, with me repairing it so much, and with the minor body damage, I'm feeling burnt out. I'd like to sell the van and get something a bit easier to repair/maintain (4cyl/manual) is what I have in mind. But, I don't know how much I'd even get for the car, and nobody seems interested in buying it around here. So, I thought i'd ask this form for some advice as to what I could do, Maybe somebody here would like my van, which I'd be happy to give it to someone who will love it as much as I do. Or if I should just double-down and try to just fix what I can before I leave for college in a few weeks.

I'd list it in the classifieds but, I guess me reading the forum for so long but only making an account today is keeping me from that. But, If anyone's interested in it, or thinks I shouldn't give up, (Maybe some inspirational words lol)
, please let me know.

-the owner of a 1994 plymouth grand voyager LE

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
The big thing here and where you're going wrong on a van this old:
When you do a job, do the whole job, don't half ass it.

When you replaced the tank/pump, you should have also inspected/replaced any lines that were suspect, replaced the filter, and replaced the rubber bits with fresh fuel injection hose.

When you replaced the brakes up front, you should have also torn into the rear and inspected/replaced what was needed, replaced all hoses, and bled the whole system.

When you did the front struts, you should have also done tie rods, ball joints, sway bar bushings, etc.

My 94 Voyager has been my daily driver for over a decade now and it's never let me down, even with almost 300k miles on the clock. I buy quality parts, I do the job once, I do the job complete. I have around $5k tied into it including purchase/upgrades and there's no way I'd find a better vehicle for the money.

Tire Automotive parking light Wheel Automotive side marker light Vehicle

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The big thing here and where you're going wrong on a van this old:
When you do a job, do the whole job, don't half ass it.

When you replaced the tank/pump, you should have also inspected/replaced any lines that were suspect, replaced the filter, and replaced the rubber bits with fresh fuel injection hose.

When you replaced the brakes up front, you should have also torn into the rear and inspected/replaced what was needed, replaced all hoses, and bled the whole system.

When you did the front struts, you should have also done tie rods, ball joints, sway bar bushings, etc.

My 94 Voyager has been my daily driver for over a decade now and it's never let me down, even with almost 300k miles on the clock. I buy quality parts, I do the job once, I do the job complete. I have around $5k tied into it including purchase/upgrades and there's no way I'd find a better vehicle for the money.

View attachment 67480
You're right, If I'm going to do anything on the car, I should do it right. I've recently gotten $600 I will be putting into parts, Got new brake parts to rebuild the brakes on the front coming in, along with new tie rods. Fuel system is now sorted out with just about everything replaced.

This is my first car, and I suppose my "i'll fix it as stuff goes bad" mindset
--along with my inexperience and tunnel-vision at the broken--
I suppose I'm lucky that this van isn't as hard to work on, given it didn't spend its life in the rust belt. Can't imagine what i'd do if i found it rusted out, after putting $4k into it. It's just a bit scary with body damage because as far as i've looked, body parts are hard to find. Especially with these little plastic bushings/retainers I need for the headlights. But I'll ask the community for help finding those in another part.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts