The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Caravan/ Town & Country
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
was told today my trans cooler they believe under the front suspension because of a pothole is dented not damaged but dented they said if I had to splashguard underneath most likely would not have happened and also said they would save me on serpentine belts..

anybody know the part number for the splashguard that covers the under side of the motor that they would takeoff to do an oil change?

·
Registered
2007 T&C Touring 3.8L 230k+ mi
220 Posts
The transmission lines run through the AC condenser on the driver’s hand side to cool off the fluid, so what exactly were they referring to?

Aside from the black wind dam that connects to the front bumper cover, the only other shield is a boxy one that covers the belt next to the AC compressor, which doesn’t need to be removed for an oil change

·
Super Moderator
30,138 Posts
I think they were trying to sell you something or were lacking experience.

"splashguard that covers the under side of the motor that they would takeoff to do an oil change" doesn't exist on the Caravan. The oil drain plug and oil filter are readily accessible.

There's a power steering cooler underneath, mounted on a cross member, behind the engine. It can get damaged some, maybe even leak, if hit by a rock or highway debris.

There should be a splash guard under the serpentine belt/lower radiator hose.

Power steering cooler:

Splash guard:

Rectangle Fashion accessory Transparency Electric blue Composite material

Reactions: itsallgood

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I wonder if they just little confused... Yea I knew it was in the front. I think they are confusing with the other little cooler that is under there....

·
Super Moderator
30,138 Posts
Has to be in the open to cool, a screen maybe? Lots of things under there to get hit.
Jeep style skid plates are the answer. :)

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Has to be in the open to cool, a screen maybe? Lots of things under there to get hit.
Jeep style skid plates are the answer. :)
What needs air the cooler? maybe a hole or screen like you said... Yea surprised I am just talking about this now after owning so many Mini vans. Learn something new everyday..

·
Registered
398 Posts
Has to be in the open to cool
Actually it helps to cool the engine better as more air will flow over the entire engine and not be pushed down between the radiator and engine. Most engine shields attach just behind the bumper cover to capture much of the air flow from the radiator.

The under body shields, Jeep skid plates excluded, are mostly designed for aerodynamics, smoother airflow and better mpg (not much but these days every 0.01 helps). The last Darts had a fully underbody shield. The last 200's had an under engine shield. Protection from road debris was a benefit but not the reason.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
How can I protect my power steering cooler? its take several hits... I am a careful driver.. PA Roads just very bad.. The exposed manhole covers are killing cars.

·
Super Moderator
30,138 Posts
Those covers are a pita when it comes to working underneath the vehicle. Sometimes oil changers don't put some of the parts back, like the door for an oil drain plug, on a 2004 Acura TSX. Vehicles low to the ground may need them, but Chrysler, please don't put them on a minivan. :)

More of a finesse thing than any value, makes expensive vehicles look more expensive. Packaged up sort of. Another thing to hang down underneath.
If you drive over a snowbank or an icy speed bump, it can also cause damage to the shield. The shield can also become corroded over time.
The fasteners that affix the splash shield to the car can also become damaged. If they wear out or fall out, your shield may end up falling off. Sometimes it will not fall off completely and end up dragging on the ground. Some splash guards are designed for easy removal. Unfortunately, the fasteners of shields that can be easily removed are also more susceptible to damage.
The Importance of an Engine Splash Shield – Here’s What You Need To Know

Manhole cover vs plastic cover, guess which wins. :)

Reactions: ggoose

·
Super Moderator
30,138 Posts
lol yea but cover dies not my cooler .. or some other soft part..

plastic covers don’t leak like ripped offer power steering coolers. 😂
In 400,000+ kms of driving in 4th Generation minivans (first generation with a power steering cooler), I had one pinhole size leak, either from a stone/whatever hitting it or a manufacturing defect, likely the latter since it was a 2007. The 2002 was a more durable vehicle all around. Replacing it was fairly easy, a driveway job.
We have lots of killer potholes here in the early Spring, one that got a lot of press (every year actually), crippled many a small car. I drove around it, through it, and straddled it almost daily in the Van. No flat tires, nothing. The small cars likely had covers but they sit much lower to the ground. Bigger tires is the answer (if one is actually needed). :)

Note: Hitting a wood block on the roadway can cause damage to anything it comes in contact with, a cover being a large target, plus whatever is behind it.

An aftermarket lower engine cover may be available from Keystone.

·
Registered
2,994 Posts

"splashguard that covers the under side of the motor that they would takeoff to do an oil change" doesn't exist on the Caravan. The oil drain plug and oil filter are readily accessible.

There's a power steering cooler underneath, mounted on a cross member, behind the engine. It can get damaged some, maybe even leak, if hit by a rock or highway debris.

Power steering cooler:

Splash guard:

View attachment 67870
We had a Pacifica in the shop for an oil cooler/ oil leak and under that vehicle it had carpeted panels almost all the way back... was certainly a PITA to ensure that they went back on and completely fastened as some previous shops had misplaced some of the attachment hardware.

Reactions: Jeepman

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
In 400,000+ kms of driving in 4th Generation minivans (first generation with a power steering cooler), I had one pinhole size leak, either from a stone/whatever hitting it or a manufacturing defect, ...

Hey, that steering fluid pin hole was probably to your advantage as you were no longer obligated to spray the undercarriage with Fluid Film®

[an aside, I now get my Fluid Film® in an 8 ounce brush applicator can from Amazon as well as aerosol]

Reactions: Jeepman

·
Super Moderator
30,138 Posts
We had a Pacifica in the shop for an oil cooler/ oil leak and under that vehicle it had carpeted panels almost all the way back... was certainly a PITA to ensure that they went back on and completely fastened as some previous shops had misplaced some of the attachment hardware.
Makes DIY driveway work harder. :)

·
Registered
2005 Town and county
11 Posts

Power steering cooler:

Splash guard:

View attachment 67870
Hey I just saw all of you guys talking about a splash guard for the serpentine belt area you think I could find one in a bone yard or somewhere else ? Had to swap out engine a few years back and they didn't put mine back on and by the time I knew it was missing they were not in the same location. Silly Me 😖

1 - 20 of 24 Posts