The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Ram C/V, black, delete seats, windows, factory hitch
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just had this happen on my way to work. Hot day today and 25 mile highway drive to work, just after getting off the interstate exit, light came on, flashing at first, then finally stayed on steady. Since work was only a few miles up the road, drove carefully in and once in the parking lot, checked the tires, all were between 37-41 psi. I know the low pressure trips them around 32 psi, does the TPMS trip at high pressure too? I am thinking the hot weather and long drive heated them up some, I keep then at 35 psi normally. Note these are not factory "recommended" tires, I am running Cooper Mud and Snow at about two sizes over the original tires height, (ground clearance issues with the stupid center of car spare carrier).

·
Registered
282 Posts
does the TPMS trip at high pressure too
It does not...only has a low pressure threshold. From the FSM:

A Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) is designed to detect and alert the driver should the air pressure level in one or more of the vehicle's tires, up to all four tires, fall below the manufacturer's recommended inflation pressure or another pre-set level.

There's an added caution about different sized tires and optimal performance:

CAUTION: The TPMS has been optimized for the original equipment tires and wheels. TPMS pressures have been established for the tire size equipped on your vehicle. Undesirable system operation or sensor damage may result when using replacement equipment that is not of the same size, type, and/or style. After-market wheels can cause sensor damage. Do not use aftermarket tire sealants or balance beads if your vehicle is equipped with a TPMS, as damage to the sensors may result.

With that said, it sounds to me like you may just have a sensor on its way out. I've used Schrader sensors from Rock Auto with no issues. All the best.

Reactions: Scot_W

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just had this happen on my way to work. Hot day today and 25 mile highway drive to work, just after getting off the interstate exit, light came on, flashing at first, then finally stayed on steady. Since work was only a few miles up the road, drove carefully in and once in the parking lot, checked the tires, all were between 37-41 psi. I know the low pressure trips them around 32 psi, does the TPMS trip at high pressure too? I am thinking the hot weather and long drive heated them up some, I keep then at 35 psi normally. Note these are not factory "recommended" tires, I am running Cooper Mud and Snow at about two sizes over the original tires height, (ground clearance issues with the stupid center of car spare carrier).
I had the exact same problem about 4 years ago - Hot day, interstate highway, and low pressure warning light came on after about 30 miles. Could not find anything wrong with the pressure. Tires were all at around 41 psi. Re-started car and drove off back on the interstate. Light went off after a few hundred yards and never returned. Still working fine today.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I run my tires around 34-36 lbs (cold temps) as well..... This works best for me...

Sounds like a TPM sensor is acting up as well. For my 4 x winter tires, I previously bought 4 x sensors. They worked great for 1 winter season. Next season, 1 stopped working. So, I did the "black tape" (smiles) over its dash light fix. Next winter season, the defective TPMS sensor started working again. Very strange.

Long mumblings short... Sounds like an "under sensitive" (L0L!) TPMS sensor to me as well. A specialty tire shop may have to use their hand held monitor tools to confirm the exact one. Replace where needed....

Hope this helps...

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have read where this can occur in some situations where the ABS sensors read the tire rotations and compare them, if they differ more than a certain percent, they trigger this light. It seems Honda and Subaru have this, I didnt know if Chrysler did also. I have indeed done the electrical tape thing in previous cars, and recently I thought I read on a post in this forum it was possible using 3rd party tools to disable the light, but it might have been in another forum. I always check my tires so unless I hit some road debris I know they are in the correct pressure zone. I will check the donut just on the off chance there is one in there, but I doubt it. The van is 8 years old, so a battery may be going on a sensor.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I'd bet on a dying sensor. I had a sensor fail under warranty on a 2-year-old Subaru. I think I read that pressure sensor lifespan was supposed to be only 5 years.

Although I thought the TPS system to be kind of dumb, it has alerted me 2 or 3 times to a leaking tire before I would notice via a walkaround.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, not that I think it will have any effect on the light, I did find the donut to be sitting at 20 psi, so I filled it to 50. I have relocated it to the rear of the car so it is accessible now, I probably never would have checked it if it was still in that carrier.

·
Registered
538 RWHP, LS motor, RX7 body
584 Posts
Dash Light is just an awareness warning for too low- when they actually work. Checking with a gauge will decide whether to ignore or pay attention to the warning. Those TPMS sensors are cheap pieces of electronics that get lots of physical abuse. False positives are frequent.

Tire Gauges are rarely (or never) calibrated nor certified, and those cheap stick gauges are 1.5 notch above useless. Always check numbers with 2 gauges if pressure is important (racing tire pressures). A Longacre dial gauge is worth the investment.

·
Registered
10 Posts
It's a sensor that will need replaced. I have seen this happen on a 2011 Kia Soul and a 2012 Dodge Caravan. It's usually 1 sensor that will stop transmitting at times. The right scan tool that reads TPMS will tell you which one it is.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
My 2018 trips for overinflation as well as underinflation.

Source: Tire pressure light came on after a tire shop inflated my tires to 42 psi.......
Pulled pressure back down to the 36 psi it should be, drove about a mile and the light went out. That was over 2 years ago....

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, without doing anything to any other tire pressures, other than filling the spare to 50 psi from 20, the light immediately went out as soon as I started driving. Now that may be strictly coincidence, but today I repeated the same exact trip, and its even hotter outside, and no light. I am just going to chalk it up to gremlins, and not the AMC kind either.

·
Registered
2008 Dodge GC SXT, 3.8L 2020 Dodge GC SXT Blacktop 3.6L 328 miles
273 Posts
I had mine on my 2008 and had never had a problem. When they were 5 years old or so, I was putting on new tires so I had the wheel sensors replaced. I would have the light come on at times and never a problem with a low tire. After a time this stopped happening. Now they only come on if I let my tires get low over a period of time.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts