The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 141 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. Instead of hi-jacking other peoples threads I'll just make my own.

Originally I had planned on just buying T&C HID housings and just using them. But after buying the housings and bulbs I realized I couldn't use my aftermarket ballasts. I would need to buy D1S ballasts which would run north of $400. :nut:

So I decided to buy a pair of Morimoto FX-R 3s and some Osram 62240 bulbs, which would go in the low beam sections. Then I had some Morimoto Mini H1s that I had bought for my previous vehicle but I never used.

The FX-Rs were b-stock and only $50. One looked nearly flawless but the other had 2 small chips on the glass (which made no difference in beam pattern). I guess this happens a lot w/ the 3" glass during shipping.

A pic of the crappy projectors in the Angel Eyes T&C HID housing I bought on eBay. Not only were the projectors rather crappy but the entire housing were. I'll get to that later.

Forgot to order the D2S adapters for my ballasts so while I waited I did the modifications needed to get them to fit.

I got the adapters on Christmas eve and over the next few weeks I worked on epoxying everything together. Now on to the aftermarket housings. They are terrible. The bowls nearly shattered after opening. The clips holding the bowls in place was impossible to pinch in order to pop the bowls out. So the bowls cracked in half when removing them :angrya:. After much JB Weld I thought I had it all good. I installed them. Then I went to aim them..... Nope, the bowls just fall off the adjustment mounts. But at least they look good.

Unfortunately I needed working lights for work so I once again pulled the bumper off. Opened the lights off. Noticed I wouldn't easily be able to repair them. Going to need A) new bowls and adjustment screws or B) a whole lot of JB weld. So I decided to do C) modify the stock housings w/ the Mini H1s for now. Then spend some time to fix the after market quad setup over the next few months.

I was in a serious hurry to get them done so I don't have any pictures of the actual modifications here. But I HIGHLY suggest if you want to do this you use stock housings. Much better built. Snapped one pic tonight w/ the housings in place w/ the bumper not installed.

As I also use HIDs in the high beams. We made a relay harness from scratch to split the high beam to power the solenoids for the projectors. Added a pair of 2500mF capacitors to the relay in order in order to fix the relays from chattering, sticking open, not firing the HIDs.

I'll take some better daytime pics tomorrow hopefully w/ my real camera. However when I went for a drive tonight to test the lights I noticed some nasty shaking so it may need to go in to the shop tomorrow.

As for my impressions, even these Mini H1s are a huge improvement. Especially the high beams.

Over the next few weeks/months I'll be posting more pics/updates on the quad projectors.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cool keep us posted.

The black shroud/piece in this picture, is that the factory HID shroud or what?

How did your bowls break? Off the mounts, or what?

I have the Mini H1s on my Caliber, they are better than stock for sure.
Yes they are the shroud/bowl from the T&C HID housings.

The bowls snapped in half when trying to remove them from alignment clip. The piece of plastic around the aiming clip completely shattered. I JB welded it all together and it held fine but it wasn't tight enough to hold on to the aiming clip.

·
Super Moderator
6,523 Posts
Yes they are the shroud/bowl from the T&C HID housings.

The bowls snapped in half when trying to remove them from alignment clip. The piece of plastic around the aiming clip completely shattered. I JB welded it all together and it held fine but it wasn't tight enough to hold on to the aiming clip.
Oh ok.

I accidentally messed up one of my bowls as well (forgetting that I didn't really need to remove them) and then when I was drilling out the bulb hole for the projector, it snapped in half between the two bowls. I tried to plastic weld it back together, but it doesn't melt. So I glued it last night. Will see how it does when I get home tonight. I'm in no rush to get it finished, so I might have to engineer something else. The clips are all of though.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The clips on the actual OEM ones are a million times better. You can use small strips of aluminum tape, then JB weld over them to repair any cracks. I had cracks in both of my OEMs ones as well, but I think that from excess I put on them in the past when trying to install new bulbs. :icon_lol:

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
How are the DRL's playing out with all of this?

BTW- That looks awesome!
For the time being the DRLs = high beam. But since I don't like to be an a-hole blinding everyone w/ 55W HID high beams that flood light like a mofo I drive w/ my low beams on 24/7. In the near future when I finish the quad projectors the DRL will be 35W HIDs in projectors, the low beam will be the higher end 55W HIDs in the other set of projectors. Then high beams will be all 4 w/ the shutters up.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Rev 3.0 on the lights is hopefully finished. After taking the bumper off 5 times it is getting rather easy.

Using Morimoto 3.0 FX-R bi-xenon projectors paired w/ Osram 62240 D2S bulbs. Powered by Moritmoto XB55 ballasts. The DRL/high beams are the new Morimoto XB LED bulbs. All together I should be around 16,000 lumens.

·
Registered
10,144 Posts
Damn that looks good, but at the same time the van looks weird...in a good way lol

But good job, got any night time pics?

Reactions: lowfat

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
But good job, got any night time pics?
Well still not happy w/ them quite yet. So I'll be taking them out again to work on them. First the alignment is a tad off on both headlights. Because of the non-flat shape of the headlights, you pretty much have to eyeball alignment. At least I do since I don't have a garage to work on them while on the van.

So I have to fix alignment and paint the housing black. I had black housings before in my last set and I've noticed that the chrome housings reflect a lot of light on to the road and it is making the beam pattern look kind of cheap. So I'll be swaping the black housings from my last set.

So to answer your question I'll get night shots in a few days.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Just got back from my first night drive with them being aligned properly. I am hugely impressed. I am a few degrees off on each projector but I am ok with it. If I was smart I would have went w/ a projector that didn't need to be JBWelded in place.

·
Premium Member
4,835 Posts
I'm pretty happy with mine too.
I'm going to stay with my Rev #1 as the bumper has never had to come off. :thumb:

·
Super Moderator
6,523 Posts
Nicely done man!

I drove home late Wednesday night from Buffalo (more like Thursday morning) and was using the high beams a bit (roads were empty)

Yeah, the black housings always show more reflections for some reason, I noticed that with my Caliber too:

I can't wait to get mine done. It's just way too cold to be outside right now trying to remove plastic parts. It was -18*C this morning when I got in the van, and I don't want to break anything. I have the Mopar fog light kit waiting to be installed too.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
After a month of use I've found that the low beams are actually far too bright for city driving. I also do not like the LED high beams / DRLs at all. So I've went ahead and ordered two new sets of projectors to once again try out quad projectors. A set of Koito RX350s w/ clear lens for low / high beam. And a pair of Morimoto Matchbox' for DRL/high beam.

·
Super Moderator
6,523 Posts
After a month of use I've found that the low beams are actually far too bright for city driving. I also do not like the LED high beams / DRLs at all. So I've went ahead and ordered two new sets of projectors to once again try out quad projectors. A set of Koito RX350s w/ clear lens for low / high beam. And a pair of Morimoto Matchbox' for DRL/high beam.
You're a glutton for punishment aren't you? lol

Let us know how it goes.

1 - 20 of 141 Posts