The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all having done a few lpg conversions i am about to convert my own .Now i am aware that the new sequential convertions a fantastic and easyer to do than the open loop ventura vertion . However i have this system hanging about so free like all of us on a budjet i would like to make practical use of it, i am intending to use an omvl e/90 vavouriser and a vip 1 lamba control box with a 62ml mixer

The question is has anybody done a closed loop lpg conversion on the 3.3 grand voyager 1999 and if so what problems if any have you had ,or overcome
Any advise would be taken kindly

·
Registered
547 Posts
uhhh boy, got me on this one, recently I was doing some reading trying to figure what would work just for gigs, I belive some uk models are lpg adapted, maybe even from the factory, where are you from? me if I were to do tis I'd probl get a hold of one of those in a junkyard, have them strip the lpg stuff off along with the engine computer and ship them over

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
lpg lmba control?

Well here we go from a laymans practical knowledge only from trying what was supposed to work because i was told by the sellers it would have found out this that early sequential kits did not work with ob2 lamba,s cutting into the lamba signal wires even on volvo lpg friendly cars caused problems that i could not find away round other than going back to an old venturer mixer system thus not cuting into any cables other than shutting the petrol injectos of (i have been told that would kill the cat ) constant small adjustments as the weather changed would keep things ok lamba venturer mixers types with a stepper motor that moved up or down to allow more or less gas in due to the oxygen sensor in the exhaust differant kits allowed more or less steps in that movement worked as long as you teed into and did not cut the wire leaving the return unattached the newer kits just take the injector negitive signal on the petrol injector whilst shutting it down opening up the drilled and tapped lpg injector to the aquired amount to match the petrol value ie petrol say 1mls lpg 3mls and under constant pressure other than a venturer mixer being sucked in at the throttle body from a personal exsperance only having tried all the european kits have used easy jet by autogasitalia to be fantasic easy to fix an the tuning is done on a idiot guide computer program which tells you what you have to at all stages So i think by talking it through with you i have come up with the answer to my question unless there are others to correct me in my thoughts
Thank you for a least replying secondhand lpg kits are more trouble than you would want lpg systems today can return you 98% that of gas /petrol and if like here is harlf the cost :thumb:

·
Registered
913 Posts
Hi Dave.

I have LPG on my '97 3.3 here in the UK, but it is a Lovato Autogas Multipoint Sequential system. The Lovato was designed/programmed specifically for the Voyager and works very well.

Two problems you will face when trying to fit a closed loop LPG system is the engine management computer and the trip computer. My system has the LPG controller + an 'Emulator' to fool those systems into thinking they are still operating on petrol.

Even with the 'emulator', I still get MIL code 21 showing up because LPG produces very little - if any - CO and CO2. The poor little engine management system thinks it is seeing a 'lean' signal from the O2 sensor on the Cat.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the reply any help like this is a greatly help does the mil code 21 throw up the engine check light .Because the mixer system reduces the air intake by 40% to increase the draw too pull in the lpg i think will it will increase petrol consumption and reduce top end speed By reducing the air intake at the throttle body will that produce any code faults . If everything is ok it will be running on lpg

·
Registered
913 Posts
I don't get a check engine light from the code 21, only see it by doing the 'key dance' routine. It seems to store the code only because the ECU attempted to correct a fault which isn't actually there.

BTW, the 'key dance' doesn't work on your '99 - to check for codes you have to follow the routine in the 'Sticky' at the top of 3rd gen forum.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts