The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be picking up my 2012 Chrysler Town and Country Touring -L with 127000 kilometres (79,000 miles) on Saturday and at that time I have to decide if I want to add a Lubrico warranty to the vehicle. The Best Value according to Lubrico is the 24 month/40000 KM at $1,359. or 36 months/60,000 KM for $1,699. I imagine both are taxable at 13%. If you don't use the warranty over that period for $149.00 they will extend it for another equal term.

Are these warranties worth purchasing? The vehicle I am purchasing does appear to have been very well cared for but I'm just a lady trying to buy a vehicle, definitely I have no mechanical knowledge.

I have never purchased a warranty on a used vehicle in the past, but I haven't purchased a used car since around 2004. I bought my current vehicle new in 2013 with a 5 year/100,000 KM warranty.

Would appreciate hearing your thoughts on these warranties offered for used cars.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Carefully read what it covers and what it doesn't cover, and especially the fine print. Don't just believe whatever the dealer says. Keep in mind the sales commission on those warranties is 50% (my wife worked at a dealer).

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
3,131 Posts
They can be worth it, but more often than not they are scams with so many loopholes for the company to back out of paying that it renders it basically useless. Once had to fight a warranty company at my shop to pay for a covered engine replacement. Had to get the dealer to threaten to break ties with the company if they didn't honor it.

·
Super Moderator
27,919 Posts
Those plans are an attractive upselling initiative for the Dealership. They will make them sound great for sure and likely a bit pushy.

Here's one that's a little different:
Ensurall: https://ensurall.ca/?gclid=CjwKCAjw...WakfmUhxUP91rKh6Kv8SGd2GKznesPMBoCX5kQAvD_BwE

Buy Direct & Save
Save up to 60% Off Dealer Prices. Get a Free Online Quote & Compare Ensurall’s Coverage and Prices.
Search using the name of an insurer and add bbb for Better Business Bureau and see what you find.

Example: Ensurall | Complaints | Better Business Bureau® Profile

Reactions: Pugwinkle

·
Registered
108 Posts
I bought my 2014 used 4 years ago with the highest level warranty of Lubrico warranty, $0 deductible, “bumper to bumper” for 60,000 km 3 years. Didn’t make a single claim on it and doubled it for another 60,000 km 3 years. It’s covered until 210,000 km. I’m at 185,000 now. Still haven’t used it. Everything I’ve had to do to the vehicle has been considered regular maintenance, and I don’t disagree. Other than the blind spot sensors which failed very early on, and were not covered by this warranty. So in that sense, I have not gotten my money’s worth.

One nice thing about the Lubrico warranty is it can be transferred with a sale. I plan to sell the van this fall and I’m sure it still being under the extended warranty will add significant value to the sale. So, in that sense, it may turn out to be worth it after all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Pugwinkle

·
Registered
19 Posts
Bought a repair warranty plan through a Chrysler dealer some years ago, and it was a huge waste. They had all kinds of reason not to pay.

M

·
Registered
475 Posts
I bought my 2014 used 4 years ago with the highest level warranty of Lubrico warranty, $0 deductible, “bumper to bumper” for 60,000 km 3 years. Didn’t make a single claim on it and doubled it for another 60,000 km 3 years. It’s covered until 210,000 km. I’m at 185,000 now. Still haven’t used it. Everything I’ve had to do to the vehicle has been considered regular maintenance, and I don’t disagree. Other than the blind spot sensors which failed very early on, and were not covered by this warranty. So in that sense, I have not gotten my money’s worth.

One nice thing about the Lubrico warranty is it can be transferred with a sale. I plan to sell the van this fall and I’m sure it still being under the extended warranty will add significant value to the sale. So, in that sense, it may turn out to be worth it after all.
So it isn't bumper to bumper then.:)

I hope you are right about it adding significant value to resale. That hasn't been my experience helping others sell their cars. Dealers won't pay a penny more on a trade. Buyers will choose one with a warranty over one without, but they won't pay more for it.

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
15,090 Posts
So it isn't bumper to bumper then.:)

I hope you are right about it adding significant value to resale. That hasn't been my experience helping others sell their cars. Dealers won't pay a penny more on a trade. Buyers will choose one with a warranty over one without, but they won't pay more for it.
I don't believe it adds any resale value either.

Let's suppose you've paid $3,000.00 for that warranty, do you expect a possible buyer to pay $3,000.00 extra for your car?

If I'm buying, vehicle having "bumper to bumper" warranty will be an extra bonus, but will not pay a cent extra for that bonus.

You already paid for the warranty extension, there is no incentive for not using your warranty anymore (you can only renew once), so start using your zero deductible warranty now!

If blindspot sensors were not covered under this warranty, then is not really a bumper to bumper warranty.

·
Registered
2011 DGC SE, 2015 DGC SXT
37 Posts
I used to sell cars - based no my experience the branded warranties can sometimes be worth it, but I would never buy any of the other warranties or service contracts. I did buy one on my used 2010 specifically because of all the electronics, it 'might' have been a wash...maybe. I doubt it though, there were a couple things it covered but now that I think of it, I suspect I paid more for the contract than any of the repairs.

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
3,131 Posts
there were a couple things it covered but now that I think of it, I suspect I paid more for the contract than any of the repairs.
That's usually the case. Most times you are better off putting the same money in a savings account until you need it.

I did have one on the Sentra I bought from Carmax that paid for itself when the transmission went out. Ended up paying about $1,700 for the warranty and the transmission would have cost $3-4k. Probably helped that this was a known common issue by the time it happened.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I personally would only buy the warranty from the vehicle manufacturer. I would read the fine print on the “Lubrico” warranty. Do an internet search. Never heard of the brand. Probably gives the salesman a nice commission. “Lubrico” sounds like something that only covers internally lubricated parts.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
I will be picking up my 2012 Chrysler Town and Country Touring -L with 127000 kilometres (79,000 miles) on Saturday and at that time I have to decide if I want to add a Lubrico warranty to the vehicle. The Best Value according to Lubrico is the 24 month/40000 KM at $1,359. or 36 months/60,000 KM for $1,699. I imagine both are taxable at 13%. If you don't use the warranty over that period for $149.00 they will extend it for another equal term.

Are these warranties worth purchasing? The vehicle I am purchasing does appear to have been very well cared for but I'm just a lady trying to buy a vehicle, definitely I have no mechanical knowledge.

I have never purchased a warranty on a used vehicle in the past, but I haven't purchased a used car since around 2004. I bought my current vehicle new in 2013 with a 5 year/100,000 KM warranty.

Would appreciate hearing your thoughts on these warranties offered for used cars.
Never heard of Lubrico, but most 3rd-party car warranties aren't worth the paper they are printed on, as they will deny any claim. I get 3 robo-calls each day selling warranties. Ditto for home warranties. Our realtor talked me into requiring a 2 year home warranty paid by the seller, saying that was standard. I'm sure the realtor got a commission. During the first year the electric water heater failed. They sent a plumbing inspector who claimed "denied, since not wired per code". I said it was wired per the code when installed back then (metal-sheathed cable), plus how could a "bad ground" cause the heating element to fail. I researched and found that plumbing company was owned by the warranty company ("Home Shield"), which was a scam alert. I had to start a court case to get them to pay.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts