The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2008 T&C LX
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2008 T&C LX has an aftermarket radio that is inop (OEM radio replaced by previous owner). Can I replace this aftermarket with a Media Center 730N (RER) as plug & play or do I have to make major mods to install. Also any other plug and play recomendations to give me a full screen replacement with bluetooth and GPS. Thanks

·
Registered
109 Posts
My 2008 T&C LX has an aftermarket radio that is inop (OEM radio replaced by previous owner). Can I replace this aftermarket with a Media Center 730N (RER) as plug & play or do I have to make major mods to install. Also any other plug and play recomendations to give me a full screen replacement with bluetooth and GPS. Thanks
It depends how it was installed. If he cut the connector abd soldered the wires directly to save money or if he used an adapter harness. You won't know before you open it.

As for the radio, the Dodges radios available for the DGC/CTC are horribles. They are sluggish, difficult to manipulate and qui frankly outdated. You can get reasonably priced head units that are compatible with Android auto or Carplay. I got the Atoto F7XE. The XE is for the wireless version so I don't have to plug my phone each time I get in the car for the 7" screen to display the maps / phone / other things I want from my phone.

If you want to retain Steering wheel controls, you either have to get a canbus interface or buy a radio that has one integrated.

The only issue I have now is with radio illumination. It is not controlled by the headlight switch as it stands but I am working on it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
It depends how it was installed. If he cut the connector abd soldered the wires directly to save money or if he used an adapter harness. You won't know before you open it. As for the radio, the Dodges radios available for the DGC/CTC are horribles. They are sluggish, difficult to manipulate and qui frankly outdated. You can get reasonably priced head units that are compatible with Android auto or Carplay. I got the Atoto F7XE. The XE is for the wireless version so I don't have to plug my phone each time I get in the car for the 7" screen to display the maps / phone / other things I want from my phone. If you want to retain Steering wheel controls, you either have to get a canbus interface or buy a radio that has one integrated. The only issue I have now is with radio illumination. It is not controlled by the headlight switch as it stands but I am working on it.
Thanks for the info. I looked up the Atoto F7XE and it looks like what I'm looking for. Question: What is a canbus interface and does your model have one incorporated?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Unfortunately it didn't. You use that to convert the commands sent by the car's "computer network" to something the radio understands. You can then retain Steering wheel controls and illumination settings (when you turn on your headlight, it dims the radio) and propably more stuff I can't think of. I did get the steering wheel controls to work but not the illumination so I might need to hook it up manually buy I've not yet abandoned finding a solution with my +-100$ interface.

My van is in the garage having the trans oil replaced at this time (required for my extended warranty, otherwise I would do it myself) so I cannot test the idea I had at this time

·
Registered
32 Posts
I would definitely go to aliexpress and get an Android unit before getting an outdated chrysler stock unit. You can find them with a can interface included. Or you can order the PAC-audio harness separately.

·
Registered
109 Posts
The thing with the Chinese radios, a lot of then are pretty bad. I did a lot of research before I got mine and it seems that Atoto is one of the better ones. They even made a model found OEM in Toyotas.

The F7 (and F7xe, F7pro and all other variants) is basically your basic radio with Android Auto / Carplay connectivity. This might seems like a weakness as you can't install anything on it but I think it is more of a strength as what you have out of the box in terms of performance is what you will always have.

Your phone will evolve, get patches and updates. In "theory", that means that you will still have an up to date interface in 5 years.

·
Registered
32 Posts
The thing with the Chinese radios, a lot of then are pretty bad. I did a lot of research before I got mine and it seems that Atoto is one of the better ones. They even made a model found OEM in Toyotas.

The F7 (and F7xe, F7pro and all other variants) is basically your basic radio with Android Auto / Carplay connectivity. This might seems like a weakness as you can't install anything on it but I think it is more of a strength as what you have out of the box in terms of performance is what you will always have.

Your phone will evolve, get patches and updates. In "theory", that means that you will still have an up to date interface in 5 years.

To each their own. My bottom of the barrel $50 unit has been flawless for numerous years now. And it's great paired with a $20 carplay dongle.

If you're a super audiophile or tech nerd, then by all means shop the specs and pick the one that meets your needs. But they're all made in the same factory.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts