The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for ideas on how to troubleshoot an issue I am having with my '98 Grand Voyager sliding door lock.

When I hit the door lock switch, or when the vehicle automatically locks when moving, the door lock on the driver's side slider sounds like a machine gun - rat-tat-tat-tat-tat-tat - you get the picture.

Seem like it can only be one of 2 things: lock actuator is kaput, or the signal coming to the lock actuator is kaput.

Anyway, ideas appreciated on how to narrow things down a bit. I've let this go on for a while, and it's time to finally fix it.

Thanks,
mccrew

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Does the lock actually lock when this happens? Or only tries to lock? Does this also happen during unlocking?

·
Registered
322 Posts
Seems we all have that problem, my experience "for me" "ALWAYS" actuator, replace problem solved...pin point the one doing the locking, unlocking, replace...you can clean contacts but usually will do it again at some point, replacing $125ish give or take...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi, Leon,

It happens on the lock operation, not on unlock. Continuing the machine gun theme, when it finally achieves "cease fire" the door is properly locked.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
I would guess it's the actuator, which is like $20 on Amazon (for a Dorman aftermarket unit). I'm not sure about the machine gun action though - whenever mine acted up (no pun intended), they simply did not move when I hit the switch. I don't recall them continuing to try to actuate. Your van must be smarter than mine :).

·
Registered
322 Posts
My rear hatch was doing the machine gun action literally going off every few seconds continuously while driving, there was very little break while this was happening. So annoyed not having the part waiting until I got one, I took the cover off cleaned contacts, opened the lock and mechanism literally 100 + times and this solved the problem for a few days. Knew it was only a matter of time until it started all over again so I replaced the unit and problem was solved. I also found out not sure why that when one of the side doors goes out needs replacing that the rear hatch lock can do the same thing. This puzzled the **** out of me, because I thought just that one side door needs to be replaced, pin pointed the side door a few days later the rear started all over again, for me found it easier to replace the entire lock with a new one and problem didn't return. some glitches are weird on these minis and from experience "for me" easiest long term was to replace the lock with a new one. But also know the electrical problems can really be a PITA to pin point on these minis. From experience seeing it happen know where to go and not spend hours trying to "think" it out...on the 97 I have all of the locks did the machine gun at one point or another and took me two times to fix it quickly, not take hours like a shop does...try asking them to solve the problem is another can of worms, replace lock id bet 100 times no more machine gun and trust me that is really annoying.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, it's not the actuator. Just got a replacement part from Rock Auto, and plugged it into the wiring connector, hit my remote Lock button, and... ratt-a-tatt-tatt-tatt-tatt-tatt! Ugh!

Looking at wiring diagrams, there are only a few other things on the circuit. Switches, body control module, and door lock relay.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Bummer. Sounds like you need to figure out which part of the system "knows" that the door lock didn't actuate and keeps trying to actuate it. It's really weird because when my actuators went bad, they simply didn't move, but there was never any attempt by the system to keep trying to unlock them - it was just a one-time click. Now that I think about it, my actuators always failed to unlock, rather than lock, I wonder if the van's brain makes a distinction between the two?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Solved - Good news and bad news

I have a solution, and it's a good news / bad news situation.

So the good news. There is a Technical Service Bulletin from November 2000 on this topic. It's Bulletin 23-042-00 "Sliding Door Power Lock Actuator Chattering Sound".

The solution involves installing an O ring on the sliding door lock lever tab to stop the plunger lifting away from the lock lever when it's in the lock position. I had been assuming this to be an electrical problem, when it has turned out to be a mechanical issue.

They provided a "Silencer Kit", part number 05072507AA.

The bad news? That part is long discontinued.

Sounds like it shouldn't be difficult to find other O rings and hack a solution to this.

TSB attached for reference.

Attachments

·
Registered
322 Posts
Interesting info, never came across that when I had the same problem. Both sliding doors and rear hatch have done that on my mini, and each time replacing the actuator fixed that annoying problem. Hatch was the first to do it, occasionally progressively getting worse, finally non stop. Replaced actuator solved my problem each time. No idea why it worked for me and not on yours? good info for others, but can be frustrating when one fix is not the same for each.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts