The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After Maintenance Round 1 and Round 2 this van finally getting up to par.

This round, I bought the following Mopar parts from MoparOnlineParts.com

HOSE-CRANKCASE VENT [Part# 4781264AC] $5.69

HOSE-PCV VALVE TO INTAKE MANIF [Part# 4781252AA] $1.78

VALVE-PCV [Part# 4694335AB] $8.17

I went ahead a replaced both hoses because they were both getting brittle and the vent hose was cracked and had been repaired by the previous owner with black electrical tape. So it was just cheap insurance.

The PCV valve I replaced was the Mopar part, probably factory original, so it was time for a new one. Again, cheap insurance to a well maintained and well running vehicle.

The valve was a little difficult to replace. I used a 15/16” wrench with a 12-point closed end and open end. Going into it, I was afraid the plastic construction of the valve would have become brittle with a potential to break off in the valve cover. Fortunately, this wasn’t an issue and it threaded out without breaking. Installing the new PCV valve was a bit problematic as the plastic threads were a little inconsistent and wanted to cross thread going on. I had to get out a razor blade and clean up the threads a little for it to go on. This isn’t my favorite style for a PCV valve.

After replacing the two hoses and PCV valve I poured in a bottle of Amsoil P.I. Performance Improver in the fuel tank and topped off with fuel to help clean out the entire fuel system. One twelve ounce bottle treats 20 gallons.

Upcoming future projects:

- Source of P0442, P0455 codes
- Sway bar bushings
- Fuel filter
- Automatic Transmission Service

·
5000 Club
5,730 Posts
96 GC LE 3.8 sitting at 213K miles. Changed the PCV valve at about 150K even though it was still clicking fine. Hoses were good. Not an additive lover. Gas tank hasn't had anything in it but 87 octane gas. Same for engine and tranny. Purrs like a kitten.

BTW - No need to be overly concerned about air filters (your round 1). Today's electronically controlled engines compensate for your average or worse dirty filter. Won't effect your mileage. I change my standard FRAM filter every two years at smog time regardless of mileage and I live in a dusty dessert region. There's been times when it's tough to see through it holding it up to the sun. Have always gotten the same mpgs as the day I drove it off the dealers lot.

He touches on air filters at the 1:05 mark in this video: http://www.motorweek.org/features/goss_garage/quick_car_care

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
96 GC LE 3.8 sitting at 213K miles. Changed the PCV valve at about 150K even though it was still clicking fine. Hoses were good. Not an additive lover. Gas tank hasn't had anything in it but 87 octane gas. Same for engine and tranny. Purrs like a kitten.

BTW - No need to be overly concerned about air filters (your round 1). Today's electronically controlled engines compensate for your average or worse dirty filter. Won't effect your mileage. I change my standard FRAM filter every two years at smog time regardless of mileage and I live in a dusty dessert region. There's been times when it's tough to see through it holding it up to the sun. Have always gotten the same mpgs as the day I drove it off the dealers lot.

He touches on air filters at the 1:05 mark in this video: http://www.motorweek.org/features/goss_garage/quick_car_care
Thanks for the post.

The choice of Air Filter wasn't for fuel economy. It's for much better filtration of fine dirt particles and a 4-year 100,000 mile service life. Simply remove and vacuum the dry filter media. No chemicals to buy and no mess. It's the same Donaldson nano-fiber filter technology used in the Abrams tank for desert operations. See link below. Yep, a Fram works great too. Have one of the old Allied Signal units in the car right now.

Donaldson Company Selected to Develop Filtration System for U.S. Army Abrams-Crusader Common Engine Program - link

1 - 4 of 4 Posts