The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

A quick one for you... apparently a full digital climate control panels are costing like 20$ in junk yards, so I am wondering if I can swap my manual (rotary knobs) 3-zones climate controls for a digital (automatic) climate controls panel?? Since the manual rotary knobs are also digital controls (no hard cables like in old cars), I think it may work? Are you?

I have the optional 3-zones (rear heat/ac) in my new 2k16 GC, but I don't have heated seats or heater steering, but this is not a big deal since I can leave plugs disconnected I assume...

The point is I don't really like the 3-zone manual (rotary) climate controls because I have to manually sync the temperature between 3 tiny knobs each time I want to increase or decrease temperature... with the digital gauges you can sync temperature directly into one single settings... and for 20$... it may worth the price ;-)

Thx guys! :)

·
Registered
171 Posts
I wish it was that easy, I agree with you it is a pita adjusting 3 temp knobs instead of just having one but im sure there is more to the system than just the control panel. For one the temp sensors, where and how many of them are there i don't know, hopefully someone else will chime in I would be willing to attempt this mod.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Its possible. All motors are equal. But you need also the wiring harness under the dash from a vehicle with HVAC and must install the solar sensor. Thats all. Programming is necessary.
Wow, awesome explanation Steffen! Thank you so much... well in fact it's not sounding as much complicated, but definitely not "plug and play" and I am not sure it actually worth the pain for a 20$ digital HVAC gauge cluster...

·
Registered
497 Posts
If you have the rear heat/ac then you should also buy the automatic control panel for the rear HVAC.

It is a plug and play installation. But you must take out both a-pillars, steering wheel, radio, center dash, glove box, the cluster and the instrument panel top pad. Now you can swap the complete wiring harness under the instrument panel pad and install the dual solar sensor. It's a five hour job.

Search for the document K6861201.pdf (https://mopar.chromedata.com/RichContent/CDJR/K6861201.pdf). All steps for removing and installing the instrument panel top pad are explained on pages 8 - 27.

A dealer can not activate the HVAC. You need Autoenginuity with Chrysler Extension E04 or Chrysler Diagnostic Application. In the module TIPM -> Vehicle Config 2 -> automatic temperature must changed from "Not Set" to "Set". The value for "A/C present" should already set to "Set" if the car has a climate control. The system should now calibrated. A dealer has the possibility to calibrate the step motors (lower and higher end position). He can use a routine in the tab "system tests" of the witech.

There are 3 automatic climate control Panels. Without front seats heat, with front seats heat and with front seats heat + heated steering wheel. Dont choose a panel from my11. It has green colors.

·
Registered
271 Posts
It's not actually necessary to synch the temperature settings. That's the whole point of having three separately adjustable zones. Set the non-driver zones to a medium temperature and leave them. Then, just adjust the driver zone to suit you. Simple. That's if you're driving alone, of course. If not, set the other zones as the passengers request.

I have a 2012 R/T with the 3-zone auto A/C. It has a Synch button, but I don't use it that often, since I don't feel like having that little amber light glowing all the time. Usually, I keep the front passenger and rear zones set at 20C/68F, and I adjust the driver zone between 18C/64F and 21C/70F, depending on how I feel at the moment. Those settings are for the cold months, when I'm usually wearing warm outdoor clothes. In the summer, I use warmer settings, of course.

·
Registered
3 Posts
MyST

Hi everyone. I want to upgrade manual A/C to automatic on my GC 2017. I found panels and sun sensor on ebay, but can't find wiring harness. I found part number 68268024AA, but it doesn't look like the thing I need. Do anyone know actual part number of the wiring? Or maybe have a photo of it to compare?

·
Registered
497 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
MyAT

Oh, that was the question - I need wiring harness from another vehicle, with another trim level. Does it matter how many speakers and DVD has my GC? As far as I understood I need to replace just wiring harness between instrument panel and a/c control panel.
By the link I see I need to chose from first 3 items and it seems I need the first one - Instrument Panel Parts Module+ATC w/3 Zone Temp Control+6 Speakers. Does ATC mean auto temp control?

·
Registered
497 Posts
Yes, ATC w/3 zone means automatic climate control. I wouldnt buy a new harness. Use a harness from a donor vehicle.

The difference between manual and automatic climate control unit are the two connectors at the climate control unit and the ATC has 3 wires to the solar sensor. The manual climate control unit has a blue 16-way and a light gray 14-way connector. The automatic climate control unit has a gray 26-way and a black 10-way connector. It would be possible to use the wiring harness of the manual air conditioner and replace only the two plugs and put the 3 wires to the solar sensor. But that costs a lot of time and you have to deal with a soldering iron.

·
Registered
255 Posts
So is the auto headlights integrated into the climate control? I don't mind the manual heat controls, but really miss the automatic headlights of other recent vehicles.

·
Registered
497 Posts
yes, the solar sensor is connected to the climate control unit. Pin 12 auto headlights, pin 16 solar sensor 1, pin 17 solar sensor 2 and I forgot the sensor ground. This is on pin 13.

·
Registered
3 Posts
yes, the solar sensor is connected to the climate control unit. Pin 12 auto headlights, pin 16 solar sensor 1, pin 17 solar sensor 2 and I forgot the sensor ground. This is on pin 13.
Is anything else required to get auto headlights? I mean another lights switch with auto option (obvious it is required), harness to this switch, dealer activation to get everything works?

·
Registered
497 Posts
yes, another switch, harness is the same (works with LIN protocol). But I dont know if the dealer can this activate (dealer installed option).

·
Registered
29 Posts
A dealer can not activate the HVAC. You need Autoenginuity with Chrysler Extension E04 or Chrysler Diagnostic Application. In the module TIPM -> Vehicle Config 2 -> automatic temperature must changed from "Not Set" to "Set". The value for "A/C present" should already set to "Set" if the car has a climate control. The system should now calibrated. A dealer has the possibility to calibrate the step motors (lower and higher end position). He can use a routine in the tab "system tests" of the witech.
If you were to purchase for the first time, would you recommend the Autoenginuity or the Chrysler Diagnostic Application to do this?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Since you obviously know your way around a wiring diagram. What diagram or schematic would you recommend for the 5th gen vans?

·
Registered
29 Posts
I just purchased a used automatic climate control for my van so next up I guess is finding the correct harness. The unit I just bought has buttons for the heated seats and steering wheel.
My 2014 30th SXT already has the regular style rear climate control and auto headlights so I'm assuming I don't need to add the solar sensor?
I just need to be pointed in the right direction to purchase the correct wiring harness. An option code or p/n would really help at this point.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Yes you need the solarsensor 68230114AB

Its the easiest way to buy a used dash wiring from a chrysler touring-l from my 13-16 (not 11-12 because Chrysler/Dodge used another ORC-module after MY12).

Autoenginuity can do a lot of activations in the TIPM. Activation of the automatic climate control should work. But I dont use AE at the moment because the CDA is more powerful. Autoenginuity can not used for all jobs where the 4-Digit vehicle pin is necessary. This means you can not program keys, activate remote start or rain sensor or add keyless go.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Yes you need the solarsensor 68230114AB.
I have a sensor in the center of my dashboard that looks just like this. Did they make different versions of the solar sensor?

the easiest way to buy a used dash wiring from a chrysler touring-l from my 13-16 (not 11-12 because Chrysler/Dodge used another ORC-module after MY12).
Okay, I will look for that. Thank you.

...I dont use AE at the moment because the CDA is more powerful.
Do you have any recommendations to purchasing a CDA setup?

Thanks for answering all of my questions!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
About this Discussion
23 Replies
8 Participants
HiQ
The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums
ChryslerMinivan.net is the best forum for Chrysler Town and Country owners to discuss mileage, price, problems, towing and more. Join now!
Full Forum Listing