The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

How many miles redux

• Total voters
81 - 100 of 127 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
My 1997 3.8 grand voyager has 280,000kms .. Rebuilt tranny 5k ago..

So far pretty solid vehicle. Motor
Runs strong. Just took her on a road trip from Canada to Los Angeles.

·
Registered
1 Posts
1999 Grand Caravan 3.3L A604 Transmission

147,000 current miles, bought van from first owner at 98K miles for $4600

Only use Mobil Extended Performance Full Synthetic with Mopar OEM filter from Wal..mart local at every oil change
and also replace 4 quarts of the ATF +4 transmission fluid at each oil change so my baby will last.

Has been a wonderful van overall.

Replaced: Water pump at 110K, Radiator at 130K, Radiator Fans 'Relay' at 138K, Transmission Shift Solenoid Pack at 147K.

Added: some 17" 5 Spoke Custom TSW Wheels and Falken Tires from disc...tire...dire...com

Bought: 2 Captain Seats from PullAPart Junkyard for $25 a piece like new, in order to replace the middle row 2 person bench seat.

Still to do: Headliner, Powersteering Fluid drain and refill, brake fluid bleed and refill, Both front struts need replacing, and rear shocks next.

Would like to keep van as long as we want to keep it... Other vehicles are a Toyota Highlander V6 and a Volvo 850 wagon.

·
Registered
801 Posts
1997 Dodge Caravan 3.0L Purchased in spring 2010, just turned 300,000 kms today (186,412 miles)
Original Engine, the previous owner had trans rebuilt 3 yrs ago, windshield was replaced last year.
I added power windows/locks and Remote Start.
Strut towers are not rusted, but some rust is starting under the drivers door.
It's basically my daily work truck, the rear seats have been removed to make space for cargo, there's oil stains on the carpet from carrying chain saws/generators and various other auto parts.
The front end creaks like an old pirate ship over speed bumps but overall it's never left me stranded.
I've had others but 3 Gen vans are the best.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I didn't quite make 325K last year but I came close. 322,000 miles still un-touched eng and transmission(aside from solinoid pack). My goal is 350k by the end of 2012.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Recently turned over 100k on the '97 and it will be gaining more slowly now that we have the '11 for long trips. Bought in '07 with 56k on it, repairs include valve cover gaskets, multi-function switch, battery tray/vacuum reservoir, starter solenoid, belt tensioner, driver's power window, brakes, rear shocks (replaced with Monroe overload spring-type) and a water pump. Nothing too major - the power window repair cost the most since I needed it done ASAP and went to the dealer. Even though many people complain about the brakes, I didn't even have to replace the front pads until 87k (don't know if they were new or not at 56k) and the rotors warped around 97k due to a panic stop. Haven't touched the rear drums - and it will still chirp all four tires on a panic stop. I am hoping our trans holds up as I flushed it with ATF+4 when we bought it an added a trans cooler and temp gauge at that time as well. It has been a darn good vehicle and the '11 has some pretty big shoes to fill if it wants to impress me...

Father-in-law has a 98 LE 3.8 with just over 220k now. He put in a trans around 140k and just recently started replacing suspension components (shocks, struts, swaybar bushings and end links).

·
Registered
322 Posts
1997 GC 3.8 AWD, Just turned 170754, still has the original brakes, never have changed the transmission fluid, changed oil every 3K, just replaced oil pan and valve cover gaskets, 4K miles ago, checked oil level today havent lost a drop, and still looks extremly clean...will change tomorrow...fixed the entire front end, new motor mounts, serpentine belt, driver side window, eliminated exhaust leak, new plugs, repainted viper red...one of the best problem free cars I have ever owned....runs today like it is brand new its truly runs that strong...and noise free...motor has a lot of punch when needed for a minivan...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just bought my 1998 Town and Country LXi with 177,000 miles.. Paid $900 for it, has a few dents, but its good for a second car and for work.. I plan to fix the lights and a few things and keep it until it dies..

·
Registered
256 Posts
I need to vote twice as I have had 2 Voyagers :)

my current voyager has 177 thousand so I used that.

my last voyager had around 230-235 thousand miles.

not sure if anything I have can touch my 88 cherokee. 497,000

I have been thinking about JUST DRIVING it till I hit 500,000 miles "just because" but I can't afford it. would require $640 in fuel !! Ouch :)

if I could put a AMC Straight Six in my voyager I would not even hesitate.

·
Registered
213 Posts
My 1996 Caravan ES just rolled over to 211,000 miles. Still seems to have a lot of life left in both transmission and engine for the age and mileage. The durability of these vans sure does amaze me.

·
Super Moderator
4,773 Posts

·
3rd gen > all others
2,159 Posts
Congrats Sport! Holy cow that is a lot! Is the driver's seat worn out yet? LOL

Just about to get 200,000 miles on our T&C; currently sitting at 199,000. Bought it with 174,500 on it, serviced it, fixed all the major issues and have been driving it ever since. I wish I knew for sure if the tranny is original. All I know is that it isn't showing any problems and plan to change fluid and filter this spring. :)

·
Super Moderator
4,773 Posts
Congrats Sport! Holy cow that is a lot! Is the driver's seat worn out yet? LOL
A neighbor of mine had the same questions about my seats because he has two vehicles with about 150K on them and his seats are all duct taped up. One of them is a Mercedes!
My interior and seats are holding up surprisingly well. All of the seat foam is still firm, no stains or tears, heck the cloth on the seats aren’t even worn thin if you can believe it!
The only thing inside the van that is failing is the glue that holds the headliner up. It gets a little loose in the damp weather.

·
Registered
6 Posts
A neighbor of mine had the same questions about my seats because he has two vehicles with about 150K on them and his seats are all duct taped up. One of them is a Mercedes!
My interior and seats are holding up surprisingly well. All of the seat foam is still firm, no stains or tears, heck the cloth on the seats aren’t even worn thin if you can believe it!
The only thing inside the van that is failing is the glue that holds the headliner up. It gets a little loose in the damp weather.
Which mercedes? I'm an avid Mercedes lover and I have seen cars with 500,000miles or even 300,000miles and up with the seats immaculate. New Mercedes aren't that great.

·
Registered
43 Posts
99' TC 346,000 miles. Still orig un-opened eng and transmission. On a road trip over the holidays my original exhaust decided it had done enough and fell apart at the muffler. Oil usage is up. about a quart every 1000 miles but I think some of that is leaks. Trans shudder is getting more pronounced and on cold mornings it slips a bit. Then again the shudder has been there for over 200k.

81 - 100 of 127 Posts
About this Discussion
126 Replies
87 Participants
Hoorf
The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums
ChryslerMinivan.net is the best forum for Chrysler Town and Country owners to discuss mileage, price, problems, towing and more. Join now!
Full Forum Listing