The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe someone already covered this(I only found 1 refrence in search).

CLEAR PACKING TAPE!!!!

I had tagged parking lot post and needed something to hold the plastic in place till fixed. All I had was clear packing tape. I put a strip over the seriously fogged-over lens and.... WHOA!!! The lens became as clear as nearly-new. I had previously tried to do the fine grit sand paper, the polish, ect w/ little luck. The change was unbelievable---I can actually see the headlight spot on the road for the first time in a long time :ThumbsUp: Put it on both head lights...great. If it mades any difference the tape I used was from Office Depot.

·
20 year old enthusiast
10,108 Posts
the cheapest fix on earth! can we get a photo on how it looks with the tape? You can finally see the road EH:beerchug:

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
I can say that would not work on mine. Mine had millions of microscopic cracks that went almost all the way through the thickness.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the cheapest fix on earth! can we get a photo on how it looks with the tape? You can finally see the road EH:beerchug:
pics or it didn't happen
Sorry no pics(it's kind of a hassel for me). Just give it a try. In 5 min from hardly able to see, to where I could see the light spot on the read for the first time in years. Rgardless to say, I put it on the unbroken lens also

·
Super Moderator
22,860 Posts
Maybe someone already covered this(I only found 1 refrence in search).

CLEAR PACKING TAPE!!!!

I had tagged parking lot post and needed something to hold the plastic in place till fixed. All I had was clear packing tape. I put a strip over the seriously fogged-over lens and.... WHOA!!! The lens became as clear as nearly-new. I had previously tried to do the fine grit sand paper, the polish, ect w/ little luck. The change was unbelievable---I can actually see the headlight spot on the road for the first time in a long time :ThumbsUp: Put it on both head lights...great. If it mades any difference the tape I used was from Office Depot.
How wide was the tape? Some pictures of the installation please. Did you cover the entire lens or just a part of it?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How wide was the tape? Some pictures of the installation please. Did you cover the entire lens or just a part of it?
used the standard 2" packing tape. You can get it at any CVS, Wallgreens, Rite-aid in the shipping/packing aisle. I put it over the entire lens of my '98 Voyager. It's so clear it looks as if there's no lens at all. No problems w/ compound curves. I'll see about getting a pic posted

ps : Have had it on for 6 mo and still as clear as first day

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes that works the clearer the better ,clear enough to read the inner roll .

Works like a contact lens.
Definitly make sure the tape is clear all the way to the center of the role, I've seen some "clear" packing tape that is a light tan through the layers to the center of the role.

I've already got one convert at the Mc Donalds where I stop in the am. He has a Volvo and the lights were really bad. I mentioned the tape fix to him and showed how it had worked on my van. I saw him a week later and he had added the tape-then lens' were crystal clear! The Volvo has nearly flat lights and unles you got really, really close you couldn't even see the tape. Cheap, Easy, Effective, what more could you ask.

·
Super Moderator
22,860 Posts
Definitly make sure the tape is clear all the way to the center of the role, I've seen some "clear" packing tape that is a light tan through the layers to the center of the role.

I've already got one convert at the Mc Donalds where I stop in the am. He has a Volvo and the lights were really bad. I mentioned the tape fix to him and showed how it had worked on my van. I saw him a week later and he had added the tape-then lens' were crystal clear! The Volvo has nearly flat lights and unles you got really, really close you couldn't even see the tape. Cheap, Easy, Effective, what more could you ask.
So ... you don't bother to remove the oxidation, just tape over it?

Will putting the tape on and taking it off remove the oxidization?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

No, you don't need to do anything to the lens, just put the tape over the lens(maybe wash a little of the dirt off)

·
Registered
2,194 Posts

No you don't remove it it stays on acting like a barrier or contact lens

Canada post has good clear tape as does the dollar store.

Just try it ive been looking for clear yellow for my fog light but can find nothing.

·
Super Moderator
22,860 Posts
No you don't remove it it stays on acting like a barrier or contact lens

Canada post has good clear tape as does the dollar store.

Just try it ive been looking for clear yellow for my fog light but can find nothing.
Yellow duct tape maybe. :)

I have some clear packing tape so will give it a try.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
I wouldn't fool with trying to polish or coat old lenses. I got 1 new left lens for my 96 Voyager on ebay for ~$25. That one was damaged from an accident in 2001 and the dealer wanted $350 then and junkyards ~$100 so, being a cheap bastard, I waited. 4 years later it is still crystal clear, but my right one (original) is looking hazy. I cleared it up a year ago by sanding w/ 1000 grit wet sandpaper, but old plastic just gets older. I'll have to drop another $25 now. The lenses for my 2002 T&C were more ~$90/pr on ebay a few years ago, but still look great. At least you don't own a new Mercedes. Most of those in parking lots have extreme cataracts, especially in sunny CA, and I'll be they cost a bit more to replace.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I wouldn't fool with trying to polish or coat old lenses. I got 1 new left lens for my 96 Voyager on ebay for ~$25. That one was damaged from an accident in 2001 and the dealer wanted $350 then and junkyards ~$100 so, being a cheap bastard, I waited. 4 years later it is still crystal clear, but my right one (original) is looking hazy. I cleared it up a year ago by sanding w/ 1000 grit wet sandpaper, but old plastic just gets older. I'll have to drop another $25 now. The lenses for my 2002 T&C were more ~$90/pr on ebay a few years ago, but still look great. At least you don't own a new Mercedes. Most of those in parking lots have extreme cataracts, especially in sunny CA, and I'll be they cost a bit more to replace.
This would be a good experiment. Since you're going to replace the entire assembly anyway, try the packing tape fix. If youd do it right you don't even notice the tape. Save $25+shipping. Let us know how it turns out.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts