The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
youtube.com/sideburns2009
2,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to replace my struts and springs sometime during the spring...or possibly sooner. Along with my ball joints. (I've decided on moog problem solver, greasable ball joints) Originally I was going to use Monroe Quick Struts. I've also had good luck with Gabriel shocks on my Dodge Ram so I was wondering...has anyone used the Gabriel ReadyMount Struts? If not which would any of you recommend between the two? Price difference is about 10 dollars a piece, Both have a limitied lifetime warranty.

·
Premium Member
10,109 Posts
After the monroes I have put on the front of my van, and all around on my gto, I wouldn't hesitate one second to try the Gabriels. The sens-a-tracs are not very good quality in terms of consistent dampening. My van rides terribly, and the gto nosedives under braking.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Looking to replace my struts and springs sometime during the spring...or possibly sooner. Along with my ball joints. (I've decided on moog problem solver, greasable ball joints) Originally I was going to use Monroe Quick Struts. I've also had good luck with Gabriel shocks on my Dodge Ram so I was wondering...has anyone used the Gabriel ReadyMount Struts? If not which would any of you recommend between the two? Price difference is about 10 dollars a piece, Both have a limitied lifetime warranty.
What prices did you find on each ?
I am seeing about $169 ea for Monroe's and $199 ea for Gabriel's

·
Certified Minivan Freak
9,436 Posts
I've never been a fan of Monroe's Sensa-Trac line. But I have their Reflex shocks on the front of my Dakota and would put those on everything I own, when eventually needed. I tried a set of Gabriel Ultra shocks for the rear of our '07 van, to try and tighten it up some, but they rode like steel poles. I tried the next lower line in the Gabriel product portfolio and didn't like those either. I gave up, and never tried a Monroe...figured I'd quit spending money.

If KYB make the GR-2 as a quick strut for the 3rd gen, I'd be tempted to try one of those. I've heard many good things about the GR-2's blend of ride and performance.

·
youtube.com/sideburns2009
2,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What prices did you find on each ?
I am seeing about $169 ea for Monroe's and $199 ea for Gabriel's
228 for monroe 218 for gabriel. This is from autozone and oreilly, not online.

Nowadays there's also a similar product from KYB.
I thought a few people on here said the KYB's didn't last long. Maybe it was the opposite. I had Monroe Sensa-Trac's put on my '94 but the shop failed to tell me the springs were bad. It still bottomed out so I never really got the full effect of the new shocks.

I've never been a fan of Monroe's Sensa-Trac line. But I have their Reflex shocks on the front of my Dakota and would put those on everything I own, when eventually needed. I tried a set of Gabriel Ultra shocks for the rear of our '07 van, to try and tighten it up some, but they rode like steel poles. I tried the next lower line in the Gabriel product portfolio and didn't like those either. I gave up, and never tried a Monroe...figured I'd quit spending money.

If KYB make the GR-2 as a quick strut for the 3rd gen, I'd be tempted to try one of those. I've heard many good things about the GR-2's blend of ride and performance.
The Gabriels on my Ram are the ones with the auto adjusting valve. I forget what they call it. ASV Technology or something. They are open on regular terrain for a smooth yet controlled ride but close on rough terrain or with heavy loads. I get compliments all the time on how smooth the Ram rides, especially for a truck. I just don't know about Gabriel struts.

Too be honest, I guess anything would be better than the almost 13 year old struts on my van now. Is there anywhere to get KYB locally?

·
Man. Mopar. Minivan.
3,895 Posts
I recently installed Monroe Quick-Struts on the front of my 2000. When I took it in to the dealer to have the blasted alternator replaced, I had them look at the installation that I did to verify everything was okay. (They couldn't find a problem.)

Just like it was before with my old units, every time I go over a speed bump/small bump, no matter how slow I go, the front shocks creak and moan really loudly... this problem never went away even with the new Monroe Quick-Struts.

Needless to say, I am *NOT* impressed with the Quick-Struts. And while I have admittedly not gone out and measured yet, I could swear the front of my van sits a bit lower than it did on the OEM strut/spring assembly.

·
Premium Member
10,109 Posts
Jason, I agree with you that the Reflex line seems to be a good shock. I put mine on almost a year ago, and they stiffened the rear up nicely and stopped the bottoming out problem I had.

Chrysler1924, How many miles are on your 2000? You may have worn bushings in the control arms causing your creaking, that is given the sway bar has been checked first.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts