The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a heads up.

ebay seller MonsterBrakes in Canada

If you buy cross drilled rotors from them, they are NOT like the picture.

There are only half the holes cross drilled as the picture suggests.
I've not seen cross drilled rotors with so few holes drilled. I guess they save money that way.

They have fine print that says they might not look exactly as pictured but I thought they meant the color or texture....anything but the drilling. They omitted about 50% of the holes. Kinda bogus IMO. YMMV.

I def would not have bought them if they had posted an actual picture of the rotors they would send.

Those sneaky ebay sellers.

Reactions: JC1

·
3rd Gen Plebeian
507 Posts
It's a subject of debate, but drilled rotors are only for asthetics, and slotted rotors offer some performance benefits on paper.
The holes in a drilled rotor are supposed to release gasses and debris under the pad, they are also marketed to improve cooling. Conversely, each hole is a reduction in the overall mass of the rotor which reduces it's ability to sink heat, increasing temperature and reducing performance. The holes also circumvent the vane design of the rotor; air is inducted in the center of the rotor and centripetal force pulls the air through the vanes as the rotor spins. Finally, the holes offer a weak point for the rotor to crack when under extreme duress.
As long as they're asymmetrical rotors, they will have a superior vane design, which will give you the greatest impact in improved cooling.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There are differing opinions and I did it simply for appearance. It could actually be that the rotors I received are actually better BECAUSE they were drilled less.

I think it's now becoming the general consensus that cross drilling is not preferable on serious race vehicles, even though Corvettes, Porsches, Lambos and GTR's still come with cross drilled rotors. On regular street vehicles it's ok.

The rotors on my bike are drilled massively and let me tell you....I've taken my bikes on the track and those brakes are unbelievable and do not fade even under racing conditions. And they are single platter, not vented. 35,000 miles. No cracks.

I'm not terribly concerned either way. I'll check them periodically and should cracks develop, I'll just replace them.

I doubt my minivan will be in the Indy500 or LeMans any time soon lol

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
12,658 Posts
There are differing opinions and I did it simply for appearance. It could actually be that the rotors I received are actually better BECAUSE they were drilled less.

I think it's now becoming the general consensus that cross drilling is not preferable on serious race vehicles, even though Corvettes, Porsches, Lambos and GTR's still come with cross drilled rotors. On regular street vehicles it's ok.

The rotors on my bike are drilled massively and let me tell you....I've taken my bikes on the track and those brakes are unbelievable and do not fade even under racing conditions. And they are single platter, not vented. 35,000 miles. No cracks.

I'm not terribly concerned either way. I'll check them periodically and should cracks develop, I'll just replace them.

I doubt my minivan will be in the Indy500 or LeMans any time soon lol
If manufacturer know they are using low quality steel, then they will drill less, so less drilling doesn't means you have good quality rotors, it could be the other way around. Usually you get what you paid for. When buying brakes, don't buy the cheaper ones you find, buy the best ones you can afford. Once you find the best brakes you can afford, shop around for pricing. I never buy brakes over the internet.

Low quality rotor, crack is not from drilled hole to the next:

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Or they just drilled them less to save time on the press.....Anyone's guess isn't it?

Did you know when you buy from Autozone and Advance Auto parts you're getting the same Chinese stuff? (But they charge a good bit more....does that make it better quality?) No.

btw...the OEM factory rotors on my van are cracked all over the place. That's why I replaced them.

If these blow apart and cause a roll over, I'll let everyone know. If they last a year or two I'm good with that. I doubt a brake component distributor or manufacturer would be around long if they sold dangerous stuff. Too many hungry lawyers out there ;-)

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
12,658 Posts
Or they just drilled them less to save time on the press.....

Anyone's guess isn't it?

Did you know when you buy from Autozone and Advance Auto parts you're getting the same Chinese stuff? (But they charge a good bit more....does that make it better quality)

No.

btw...the OEM rotors on my van are cracked. That's why I replaced them.

If these blow apart and cause a roll over, I'll let everyone know.
Auto Zone is the worst, never buy brakes from them.

I buy my brakes from O'Reilly because of their hassle free lifetime warranty. I usually replace brakes twice a year, when it is time to replace brakes, I just buy a new set, including rotors. I then return the old ones for a quick, no questions asked return.

Can you do that whit your online bought brakes?

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Absolutely...and THEY pay return shipping costs.

I usually try to anticipate my parts needs because I usually do preventative parts replacements (pre-failure). I just went too long on the front rotors and pads.

Honestly, I've done pretty good by ordering over the Internet. I saved so much I can't count. The entire economy is shifting to Internet ordering. Retail sales is falling across the board.

Let me ask you this.....exactly where do you think O'Reilly gets their parts?
I do see some benefit to being able to walk in and exchange a part granted.
But to be able to afford to do that, they have to charge several times more than those who don't.

It's a personal decision for the most part. Whatever fits your needs and style better is what counts.
I don't see a "right or wrong" here, just a difference in preferences

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
12,658 Posts
Absolutely...and THEY pay return shipping costs.

I usually try to anticipate my parts needs because I usually do preventative parts replacements (pre-failure). I just went too long on the front rotors and pads.

Honestly, I've done pretty good by ordering over the Internet. I saved so much I can't count. The entire economy is shifting to Internet ordering. Retail sales is falling across the board.

Let me ask you this.....exactly where do you think O'Reilly gets their parts?
I do see some benefit to being able to walk in and exchange a part granted.
But to be able to afford to do that, they have to charge several times more than those who don't.

It's a personal decision for the most part. Whatever fits your needs and style better is what counts.
I don't see a "right or wrong" here, just a difference in preferences
When you started this thread, you were very angry with Monster Brakes and the parts you got, after the first reply, you did a little "research" and suddenly you got the best parts on the market.

In case you don't know, not all Chinese parts are created equal, also, O'reilly and others offer price match guarantee, tthat is a good thing if you know how to use it. O'reilly also offers very good discounts if you know the little trade tricks and how to use them.

And no, you will not get a no hassle, no questions asked return and free return shipping from Monster Brakes, try it!

Most online suppliers require you to first ship your "defective" part for inspection, more likely you will first pay return shipping only to find out they declined your claim because it was not a "defect" covered by the warranty.

If you are buying for quality (that you are not), then online shopping would be a good option because usually is not easy to buy the best quality items locally.

What made you change from I bought the worst don't buy from them to I got the best?

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
When you started this thread, you were very angry with Monster Brakes and the parts you got, after the first reply, you did a little "research" and suddenly you got the best parts on the market.

In case you don't know, not all Chinese parts are created equal, also, O'reilly and others offer price match guarantee, tthat is a good thing if you know how to use it. O'reilly also offers very good discounts if you know the little trade tricks and how to use them.

And no, you will not get a no hassle, no questions asked return and free return shipping from Monster Brakes, try it!

Most online suppliers require you to first ship your "defective" part for inspection, more likely you will first pay return shipping only to find out they declined your claim because it was not a "defect" covered by the warranty.

If you are buying for quality (that you are not), then online shopping would be a good option because usually is not easy to buy the best quality items locally.

What made you change from I bought the worst don't buy from them to I got the best?
Angry? Don't you mean "livid"..."enraged"....or "furious"? I mean look at all the profanity, rage and vile language I used. lol.

Because in my research, I found that fewer drilled holes reduces the chance of cracking and it is actually a technique used to improve longevity. While looking around the Internet I found Corvette and other sports car rotors drilled more like the ones I received. You have no idea what quality rotors I received and neither do I. Like I said....time will tell.

As far as the return....oh yes I would (except I've used them now).
You see, ebay guarantees I get the part I ordered or the seller (or ebay) pays the return shipping.

Local parts stores won't price match the Internet. Not any time I've ever asked.

Hey, Amazon shipped over 1 BILLION packages over the holiday season. A record.
Did you know that. People are using the Internet to order more and more.
Amazon also offers free return shipping.

O'Reilly and the other parts stores HAVE TO overprice to pay for the overhead. Same parts...3 times the price. Like 7 Eleven. You're paying for convenience.

And you have a tendency to twist people words. I never specifically said I was "angry" nor did I ever say I got the worst or best rotors. Stop that.
I would say I was....umm..."disappointed".

1 - 9 of 9 Posts