The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our family just got a 2011 T&C Touring L with the tow package and we would like to install a hitch. We would prefer to install a factory hitch and was wondering if anyone here has installed one? Was the installation process as straight forward as the aftermarket hitches? Any difficulty cutting the rear bumper and what tools did you use to make the cuts? Any pics would also be helpful.

Thanks!!!!

·
Registered
225 Posts
The dealer did ours, but the factory hitch comes with instructions, a cutting template and the molding that goes onto the bumper once you've cut it. A sharp utility knife or a coping saw (or any small tooth alternative) will work fine - just be careful and take your time when cutting to prevent damage. The hitch itself is a direct bolt on just like any aftermarket setup. The factory hitch also comes with a heavy duty bracket for your wiring.

The only real installation difference, is the factory hitch requires you to cut away part of the bumper, whereas an aftermarket hitch will mount below the bumper making it lower to the ground.

I can take a few pics of our hitch if you need them.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I have a Curt aftermarket hitch. As mentioned the receiver is pretty low to the ground because it is under the bumper. I used a 2" drop, ball carrier and turned it upside down. This puts the ball at the perfect height for my utility trailer. I have scraped the receiver a couple of times, but no damage.

Phil

·
Premium Member
4,203 Posts
After dealing with the miserable ground clearance of the Curt hitch on my '06, I think it is money well spent to install the Mopar hitch. I wish I had.
Congrats on the new van!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all of the great/quick responses. Ground clearance issues is the main reason I am leaning toward the Mopar Hitch. I have installed a hidden hitch on another vehicle and it was a breeze. The only part I don't like about the Mopar hitch is cutting the brand new pearl black bumper, but I was able to find the instructions and have a question for those in the know.
http://www.mopar-accessories.com/en-US/imagehandler.ashx?id=13970

Anyone know what the 2 tools used in step 22 are?

·
Super Moderator
6,479 Posts
Thanks for all of the great/quick responses. Ground clearance issues is the main reason I am leaning toward the Mopar Hitch. I have installed a hidden hitch on another vehicle and it was a breeze. The only part I don't like about the Mopar hitch is cutting the brand new pearl black bumper, but I was able to find the instructions and have a question for those in the know.
http://www.mopar-accessories.com/en-US/imagehandler.ashx?id=13970

Anyone know what the 2 tools used in step 22 are?
I'd say a pencil, reciprocating saw and a de-burring tool

·
Registered
225 Posts
Unless you have a steady hand, I'd use a handsaw as opposed to a reciprocating saw - on thin plastic its easy to slip or cut too much. A Dremel tool would work very well if you have one. As far as de-burring goes, if you don't have the tool, a metal file will work just as well.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys, that pencil was really throwing me for a loop :thumb:. I have never used a de-burring tool, but a file seems like a much better alternative as I have a couple on hand. I'll let you know how the install goes after UPS dilevers the hitch.

For those looking for a hitch I found one for a reasonable price at http://bonnevilleparts.com/hitch-receiver.html.

·
Registered
462 Posts
For those looking for a hitch I found one for a reasonable price at http://bonnevilleparts.com/hitch-receiver.html.
Nice price, and only $17 UPS Ground shipping to my zipcode. I am at the same decision point and am wondering if the extra cost, time and effort to install the Mopar hitch is worth it for maybe 2" extra ground clearance. I had a HiddenHitch on my '99 GC and it very rarely bottomed out and no harm done when it did.

·
Super Moderator
6,479 Posts
Unless you have a steady hand, I'd use a handsaw as opposed to a reciprocating saw - on thin plastic its easy to slip or cut too much. A Dremel tool would work very well if you have one. As far as de-burring goes, if you don't have the tool, a metal file will work just as well.
Looks like i only typed half my post lol

I was going to add on that a dremel and and a file or sandpaper would probably work better IMO

·
Registered
225 Posts
Nice price, and only $17 UPS Ground shipping to my zipcode. I am at the same decision point and am wondering if the extra cost, time and effort to install the Mopar hitch is worth it for maybe 2" extra ground clearance. I had a HiddenHitch on my '99 GC and it very rarely bottomed out and no harm done when it did.
IMO the Mopar hitch looks better and the added clearance is nice too. I also purchased the factory 7 pin wire harness that is integrated into the hitch. It looks great, is protected from the elements and I don't have to fumble with a mess of wires inside the vehicle.

Less than $250.00 for a factory hitch is peanuts in the end and the additional installation time is nominal when you consider the final product.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I have a hitch on order for my 2011 Crew. I noticed that the aftermarket hitch for 2008-2011 vans do not have the crossbar below the bumper like the previous years. I don't think that you have to trim the bumper on the newer years. There are a couple videos around showing installs. I can confirm this week hopefully ... hitch is supposed to be in Wed.

·
Registered
462 Posts
I also purchased the factory 7 pin wire harness that is integrated into the hitch. It looks great, is protected from the elements and I don't have to fumble with a mess of wires inside the vehicle.
Is the factory wiring "plug and play" or do you have to run/splice wires to e.g. the battery?

·
Registered
225 Posts
Is the factory wiring "plug and play" or do you have to run/splice wires to e.g. the battery?
The factory wiring is 100% plug and play - no splicing required. The wiring connects into the TIPM.

For the others - you only have to cut the bumper if you install the factory Mopar hitch - aftermarket hitches install below the bumper.

·
Registered
73 Posts
The factory wiring is 100% plug and play - no splicing required. The wiring connects into the TIPM.

For the others - you only have to cut the bumper if you install the factory Mopar hitch - aftermarket hitches install below the bumper.
Do you have pictures of the hitch installed on the 2011?

·
Registered
225 Posts
I don't currently have any pictures, but it looks exactly like the picture I've attached. You can just barely make out the spring loaded plastic cover for the wiring on the far left of the picture.

Sorry its so small, but its all I could find online (I'm at work).

Our 2009 GC hitch was also a factory Mopar, but it was installed higher than the 2011 - they must have changed the hitch design.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 40 Posts