The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Van has 106,000 mile on it. Recently it developed a rather loud clicking noise in the motor. My mechanic said it sounded like the cam shaft was going bad and that these motors are known for that. First I’ve ever heard of it. We needed to make a long family trip so he suggested I put in a heavier grade oil, and a quart of Lucas synthetic motor oil additive. I pit in Mobil One 5W40 synthetic motor oil and the suggested Lucas product. 1,000 miles later the sound was gone. Now I’m wondering if i had a sticky hydraulic valve lifter and that was the sound. Has anyone else had such an experience?

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
5,356 Posts
No! Do not continue driving it or it will get worse. The oil is probably just taking up a little slack and the sound will return. Failed rocker bearings are the big killer in these engines. They spit out the bearing needles which causes the roller to go off center and make the slap you heard. Left long enough, it eats the cam lobe. I would not risk a trip like that. If it fails while on the trip, you'll be driving with a cylinder down and cause more issues.

Reactions: Mtfix20
1 - 2 of 2 Posts