The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If any of you who run it or want to give it a shot are going through Sioux Falls anytime soon, the BP stations there have it for $1 less than E-10. It puts it at around the break even point as far as cost vs efficiency.

For me the only good ethanol gets served in a shot glass. I don't need to be converted, so don't bother trying.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I don't have the option! The closest source of E-85 for me is a 2-3 hour drive (I think) I had never even heard of the stuff till I joined this forum in March. Flex fuel vehicles are available here but I don't think half of the people know what "flex fuel" means!

·
Registered
43 Posts
E-85

West Burlington Iowa had it at $3.09 a gal. yesterday. Best mileage I think we've had is 19.5 on the highway driving back and forth to Iowa City from Burlington. Keep telling the wife that I ought to brew my own.:beerchug:

·
Vendor
1,469 Posts
What? $1.00 is the break even! Sorry, it's $0.30 that is the price difference for equality.

I have over a year of burning this in a Silverado under my belt. That is the magic number. In Iowa, there is a $0.95 differnce, which saves me about $0.06 per gallon in my Silverado. I have not calcualted the difference in the van, but I can tell you this: E10 gives me 16-17 mpg in the van, E85 gives me 13-14 mpg.

·
Certified Minivan Freak
9,436 Posts
20% was the break-even point for me and our 2003 van, since that was our mileage loss. At $3.80/gallon for regular, that makes it 76 cents. Back when we were paying about $3.00 for a gallon, E-85 for anything under $2.40 was financially advantageous.

·
Premium Member
4,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Regardless of how good or bad a deal it is, this was my official public sevice FYI for my fellow vanners here.
In MN the price break is only $.50 to $.60.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
I don't have the option! The closest source of E-85 for me is a 2-3 hour drive (I think) I had never even heard of the stuff till I joined this forum in March. Flex fuel vehicles are available here but I don't think half of the people know what "flex fuel" means!
As long as they don't start thinking it's OK to cook anything with rubber. (Bad joke - flex(ible) fuels...)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts