The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I'm new here because I just bought a 1997 Dodge caravan Mark iii(custom roof top and interior, looks like a nice conversion van on the inside for those who don't know.)
and It drove great on the ride home, but when I arrived to my home, I discovered it would leak oil whenever the engine is running.. the oil leak appears to be coming from the rear main seal.. but upon further inspection, I noticed that this little cover shown in the picture was where the oil seems to be leaking from, it looks like it was bent..
So I wanted to know if I could just bend it back into shape, and possibly seal it up, but I fear the rear main seal might actually be leaking, and the leaking oil just builds up inside that cover.
PART_1338490503247.jpeg

·
Registered
175 Posts
thats the inspection cover.if it is leaking out from behind it andnot just running down there from someplaqce else then yes it is the rear main that is leaking

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thats the inspection cover.if it is leaking out from behind it andnot just running down there from someplaqce else then yes it is the rear main that is leaking
Do you know where I could possibly find a free repair manual on how to repair the rear main seal?

·
Registered
562 Posts
Best bet is to look for a FSM on eBay--should be cheap enough. The tranny will have to come out and the flex plate removed to get at the rear seal, not a simple job. Just my $0.02.

FredB

·
Premium Member
10,109 Posts
How fast is the leak? If its slow, it could be the valve covers leaking and it running down through the bellhousing.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts