The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Easiest way to see if air is trapped is see if heat is working. If cold air out of vent then air is trapped in coolant system. I always use the bleeder for coolant when replacing the thermostat as it is cheaper than a head gasket. There are many ways to properly fill coolant in vehicles but with the system the Pentastar uses you just crack open the bleeder until all air is out then close.

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
14,576 Posts
Easiest way to see if air is trapped is see if heat is working. If cold air out of vent then air is trapped in coolant system. I always use the bleeder for coolant when replacing the thermostat as it is cheaper than a head gasket. There are many ways to properly fill coolant in vehicles but with the system the Pentastar uses you just crack open the bleeder until all air is out then close.
No, that happens when coolant is low enough (not the same as trapped air). When that happens, just add coolant unto the radiator, no bleeding is needed.

·
Registered
2012 Chrysler Town & Country Touring L
53 Posts
i park on an incline, radiator to high side, run the engine with heater full blast. fill the radiator until it stops burping.

kinda expensive these days, gallon of premix > $15 gallon... i'd have used the bleeder if i knew about it.

·
Registered
236 Posts
No, that happens when coolant is low enough (not the same as trapped air). When that happens, just add coolant unto the radiator, no bleeding is needed.
You are incorrect. 30 years auto service dealer certified in multiple automotive brands with being Master certified retired. When air is trapped no coolant is getting by air due to pressure so air has to be released. You may get lucky by not bleeding but that is the reason they put a bleeding port there.

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
14,576 Posts
You are incorrect. 30 years auto service dealer certified in multiple automotive brands with being Master certified retired. When air is trapped no coolant is getting by air due to pressure so air has to be released. You may get lucky by not bleeding but that is the reason they put a bleeding port there.
30 years unnecessarily doing it doesn't make it right (or necessary).

No harm doing it, but it is just a waste of time. If you are filling the system for the first time in a production line (new parts), it would make sense as you want to do it as quickly as possible.

But, if you are just doing your own vehicle, not worth the risk of braking that part.

Many, many, many have problems with low coolant, most just add coolant and go on with their lifes. Very few of those unnecessarily bleed the system.

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
2,703 Posts
A Pentastar misfires like crazy after 10 minutes of running if the bleeder hasn't been opened. If you don't experience that, you either let it sit a good while to self bleed or got lucky. Not worth risking a head gasket worrying about breaking a little plastic bleeder screw.

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
14,576 Posts
A Pentastar misfires like crazy after 10 minutes of running if the bleeder hasn't been opened. If you don't experience that, you either let it sit a good while to self bleed or got lucky. Not worth risking a head gasket worrying about breaking a little plastic bleeder screw.
Nah!

Once the engine is running, air and coolant will be quickly pushed out throughout the valve (hole, jiggle pin or whatever). If coolant is hot enough, the thermostat will open.

No time for the engine to overheat, Pentastar or otherwise. Ask all of those who chage thermostat without using that plug.

You don't need ASE-A1 cerification to correctly change a thermostat.

Have a great day!

·
Registered
78 Posts
What mixture of antifreeze to water?Did you bleed the system( there is a bleeder screw by the thermostat.)

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Thanks everyone for their help. But I haven't had time to check anything because of 4 deaths in the family in 2 weeks. I will get back to it this weekend.

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
2,703 Posts
Wow. Sorry to hear that. We're not going anywhere.

Reactions: Milkman

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
I would like to thank everyone for their great help. It did turn out to be a TX 259
Sensor (Located on Cylinder Head). And a Cooling Fan Resistor.

41 - 53 of 53 Posts