The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

381 - 400 of 415 Posts

·
Voted most useless member
1,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #381
Okay Fixed my side running light issue and did some prep work to the grill.

·
1,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #382

·
1,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #383
How I fixed my running lights. Wire grounded on Tail pipe. NEVER AGAIN!

·
1,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #384
MY new toy. About to wire it up soon. Custom RGB Light strip

Yup. I am buying 5 more of these for the roof. And here is the COOL PART! I think its just a STANDARD RGB strip since it only has 3 leads going to the strip.

This is the video that goes over the unit only getting the Right turn signal. It goes reverse of this with the left turn signal.

·
1,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #385
What the Hazards look like. And some other notes on Installation. Picks soon!

I feel like a LITTLE KID!

Man I love this thing.

Plan is to use at least 2 more of these on the top of the van. I really like the how they do the chasing effect of the right and left turn signals. So what I am going to do is that when my car hits reverse , this Airplane light effect is going to go on. Kind of like runway lights.

Thing is that in order to make it work, I will need 2 of these per side. THen hope and pray they sync up. So. I might have to make a custom controller. I have seen the Mini RGB controllers do this chasing effect by default once the power is supplied and I am looking to do that.

One thing is for sure My reverse lights sure do get some attention. But still not enough for the Colledge kids coming down my street. So. Next step? A THIN mounted light bar for reverse lights with a blinking function may be in the works.

Next is to wire up a sign that says Backing out and some Runway lights on the driveway that I can operate via x11 from the cars stock garage controler on the car.

More on that later in the next post.

·
1,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #386
Done!

Day video going over full install and pics coming up soon. BUT IT WORKS!

·
1,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #387
DIY NEON LIGHT! Just in TIME for CHRISTMAS!

THe Year Prior I used Rope light. And I hate that it sucks. THIS YEAR? I MADE MY OWN!

Soon to be on for the HOLIDAY season.

Best part? MADE FOR LESS THEN $3.00 BUCKS!

·
Super Moderator
21,595 Posts
THe Year Prior I used Rope light. And I hate that it sucks. THIS YEAR? I MADE MY OWN!

Soon to be on for the HOLIDAY season.

Best part? MADE FOR LESS THEN $3.00 BUCKS!
Is that for your van or your house? :)

What do you have planned for Halloween?

·
1,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #389
TOTALLY for the house. I'm not really in the Holiday season this year. But I wanted to use that to edge a walkway. I wanted to do something for halloween. But.. I'm missing my son. Its not the same. :(

I'm Just glad that I was able to do this so Cheaply. And get such Great results.

And.. You know what I FORGOT TO DO?? Put the Bottom bolt on the alternator. So... Going to do that tomorrow.

I'm trying to get the PT and the VOLVO all set up for the winter.

RIght now its just flush the coolant, and finsih flushing out the Power steering. Got all the ATF4 I need, and am almost ready to do it.

I ordered a few more parts, GOt to ship out something to a Audiophile bro, and hopefully. I find the will to decorate this holiday. Meantime. I don't know what I am going to do next. I just don't feel it.

Sucks.

However. After shopping for a fridge for my sister, I was driving out of the airport Ikea, and .. No crap. SOme dude came up and filmed me and the car. Startled the **** out of me!

Meantime, I am going to switch out the inverter in the back. THat sucker draws like 40 amps. I use to be able to leave my Inverter running for 12 hours and come back to my Van. Not anymore.. So.. I'm going to switch ou tthe 700w one to a smaller style unit out.

So I guess MGTOW is taking off here. I think he was a EDM music fan. hmm. I guess its time to install the 30 inch tv in the van. :thumb:

I'm kind of tired. Sorry for the crap response. I have not been sleeping much.

·
1,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #390
you think these will fit?

·
Super Moderator
21,595 Posts
Look good but hope you don't plan on stealing them. :biggrin:

·
1,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #392
Update on the Work done so far.

So far 2 of the EL wires have died. The one of the front grill, and the one on the back of the tailgate. It was not the Inverter, it was the wires and how they were terminated. So both have been replaced.

The Power steering pump is now SO QUIET with ATF 4 being flushed, its sort of Uncanny. But since now NO FLUID LEAKS.... The Damn Belt drive is starting to make noise again. Back to using the silicone spray. :angry:

I also found out that my REAR engine mount is TOast. So. Ordering a replacement for that. Going to fill it with soft bathtub silicone, and Install sometime this week.

I also replaced part of the hose, and now pretty much made doing any work there EASY. Also, LESSON LEARNED HARBOR FREIGHT HOSE CLAMPS SUCK!

Ordered back up sensor, and about ready to install that soon.

Stuffs kind of on hold. My mom got hurt in Dubai, and so.. Yea. Stuff.

Few small things to do before winter really hits.

Other then that, not much to update.

·
Super Moderator
21,595 Posts
You have a lot on your plate imickey.
Best wishes for your Mother's recovery.
What's wrong with Harbor Freight's hose clamps? Surely they aren't spring type clamps? :)
Sounds like you will have a fun vehicle to drive for the winter. No LED reindeer horns?
When do you expect your first serious snow?
Last Christmas eve and day we had something close to a hurricane here, lost power, very unusual, cold turkey, hoping for better this year.

·
1,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #394
Brother, as long as you have Family around you, the Holidays are never cold. Your FEET might be, but a Old Fashioned Wood stove takes care of that. :thumb:

I don't know about cold weather this year. Its actually still 52 F outside right now. And not Cold. Small rain, but nothing bad. Nice really.

I'm actually surprised that more people don't use Natural gas for things like Ovens and ranges and Hot water. Sure its another bill, but if you take out those large loads on your electrical system of your home, a small generator will be able to power the home from the Natural Gas that comes in, and your golden. Central air most of the time uses 220v Blowers, so that helps out quite a bit since that's a PRETTY hefty load for a generator. Many times the won't start with a Power Inverters Square wave / non sinusoidal waveform.

It still surprises me that they still bother with 120v appliances. At 250V these things just run so much better, and with much less current needed. Hence less heat generated as well with the added benfit of needing a smaller generator to power loads in the home when the power goes out.

The nice thing with the natural gas generators is that you almost NEVER have any problems starting them. The "carburetors" never gum up, and with how a durable Briggs and stratton motors are with the new Synthetic 30wt oil, its going to last your lifetime if you just keep it out of the elements.

The other big plus is that if you know what you are doing, you can get a MUCH higher compression ratio in that engine, since CNG has an octane rating of 130 vs 87-92 for consumer grade gasoline. Since it already at your home, there is no issue with supply either.

Heck if its good enough for the Bonneville salt flats? And 1500 HP (that the conservative part of the Power avaliable through CNG) from a 572 Cube Big block ford? Imagine what is possible with a from your typical low compression Briggs Motor?
https://www.enginelabs.com/news/fueled-for-success-this-streamliner-uses-cng-to-assault-the-salt/

Now the cool thing is, you can actually heat your home from your generator directly. How?
https://youtu.be/o36HFUx1BqM

Now the head for this engine is EASY to make. But the FINS on the side of the piston are a bit harder to do but as you see from the video, all made in a guys garage. Doing this on any off the shelf generator is very possible.

Then you just pipe in those lines into a home you have heat. A Heat exchanger from the echast can also be used. Basically, you just pushed the efficiency of that small engine generator to levels only Shipo would be able to calculate, but its pretty good.

I'm actually surprised more homes in the Midwest don't have a unit like this available as it would be small, compact, cheap and easy to implement at any Home.

Take your typical Cheap generator. This one is $175 bucks at Walmart.

According to the spec's, 1.5 gallons of fuel at 50% load.
Sportsman Gasoline 2000W Portable Generator:
  • Two 120V outlets
  • 12V DC outlet for battery charging
  • Sportsman portable generator is ideal for tailgate parties, working away from outlets or emergencies
  • Can run for 9 hours with a 50% load on 1.2 gallons of gasoline (seems fishy..)
  • 2000W generator surge capacity, 1400W running capacity
  • 3.5 HP engine
  • 4-stroke OHV, low oil shutdown
  • 3600 RPM
  • Frequency: 120V/60Hz
  • Engine displacement: 94cc
  • Recoil start, circuit protection
  • Decibel rating: less than 65 dB
  • Fuel type: unleaded gasoline
New, these engines have a compression ratio of about 90-115 psi . With that said, This unit could in theory at 220v could supply your entire home with power and heat for about what Californians pay for electricity if you use the waste heat from the engine to heat your home as well from a CNG fuel source.

It would also be at least an order of magnitude cheaper to run from a CNG source as well. Instead of 3.5 HP, you would be able to get about 5-7HP from this engine if you raised the compression ratio to the optimized level for CNG.

But there is one more great reason why to use CNG instead of something like Propane. CNG DOES NOT HAVE A PROBLEM WHEN ITS -30 degrees bellow zero. Still starts right up. No problems. No fuss.

Sorry I went off on a tangent like that, but its the 21 century. Problems like this just should not exist. Well. You know who I blame.

Snow.

You know, I really should of just ran from the cops back in 2016. THey could not have kept up with me. Chains and AWD? I should have ran. Winter time.. Just is not as fun without your kids.

But. If it does snow? I'm going to try to have a good time. I like to video tape people going up the hill and down the hill by my house. And My favorite part. I LOVE WATCHING PROUD FEMINIST WOMEN put on tire chains while drinking Hot Coco, and yelling out. YOU GO GIRL!

But my Favotire memory was this woman last year. She could not put them on. And I KNEW she was just last year Yelling about how MEN were toxic. I took a photo of the event.

Soo.. This woman ends up outside my home as she works up at the school up the street. So she takes off with the chains Killing her paint job. GOes up the street to find some simps.

SO I HAPPEN to roll on by to go get smokes. GUess who got 3 guys to help her.

So I did the ONLY thing a GOOD christian would do. I got out my tablet. Loaded up the photo, and the VIDEO of HER yelling about how HORRIBLE men are and how WOMEN do not need them.

The 3 Men helping her dropped the chains and left her starded there on the road.

THAT was one of the best Snow time moments of my life. :biggrin:
AND she was a DEMOCRAT! and Hillary supporter.

·
Super Moderator
21,595 Posts
You could have been mean and thrown a skunk under the vehicle. :)

You are sounding a bit bitter there imickey, did Lady Godiva beat you in an arm wrestle? :help_wsig

·
1,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #396
NEW el wires installed. Still waiting on the RGB lights for the roof

EL wires On the interior!

·
1,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #397
Its been heck trying to get the lines just right to follow the molding, but I'm working on it.

I think I am going to have to take the door panels off in order to do them properly. Doing it right without getting that "wavy" effect has been the hard trick to do in the interior.

I might have to wait till spring and warm weather to pull the entire interior out in order to install the flip down LCD screen mount. To many projects and to much to do.

I also was sent a TPMS system to test out. But guess what, it arrived with a non functioning LCD display. Oh well.

Also, Power steering pump is leaking. Sheet. When it comes to things that handle fluids, from now on, I'm only buying it from Rock Auto, or someplace local that does High quality parts period. I'm tired of these parts that just don't hold water. I'm almost better off getting one from a junkyard since I know I can see it NOT LEAKING.

New pulley on altenrtor has kept that thing at 13.8 to 14.4 almost rock solid. Even with 3 batteries installed.

Next is to Upgrade my HID bulbs. I got some genuine HID bulbs from the retrofit source. Yup. You know what onces I got!

So before I put them in, I am going to dial them up the BEST that I can. In the future, going to do FULL out Projector upgrades in new housings. I'm also not going to bother with the High beam Bulbs,. Going to drop in a legit CREE 100w LED chips in there, and call it a day. Nothing puts out more light then that thing. Even puts some light bars to shame.

I also did the same for the Back up lights. I Ordered 4 of the 100w led chips (Off brand, but good quality) to use for the back up lights next. I am going to mount them on an aluminum plate, and seal them up with whatever clear coat I can that is electrically non conductive.

I did order the 120v driverless units, but on square wave AC, they are not even bright. Lets hope I get them soon. THey are small enough to fit in the liciecne plate area, and the flood of light that 4 of them will put out overdriven will be perfect since they will only stay on for about 30 seconds max.

I had to move a fridge for my sister so.. Out went my sub, and in some small 12 inch for time being. And. I no longer need a DSP. For some reason, this 12" sub sounds Better then the 15. Hmm. I guess its all about the box. Not as Loud, but damn, it sounds amazing. Hard to believe I got the sub for less then $20 bucks back in the day at Frys.

I'm about ready to start with the Amps in the front state. Still wondering about just Building a Class A 1969 amp for the tweeters. I still have to see it beats the stock Chip amps that came with the Van as far as sound quality.

I also got my DD-1, so Can't wait to start using it. . I also ordered a O scope too!

Before I drop down the cash for a DSP, I really want to make sure that what I got is clean and clear and no rattles first. The front doors need some love, and I am about to replace the drivers. I'm kind of sad I have not used one of my better amps on the front stage, but. Even with how I have it set up now, its sounds amazing. And more louder, and my ears are going to start ringing.

I really want class A amplification of the Tweeters and Midrange unit as that really is the sweet spot for sound. Though I am still wondering if I should get one of those new Zapco Budget amps for my high end. I don't really need that much power, and with the way I have my system set up, 100WPC and 20 drivers (soon to be 22 with some Ribbon tweeters) might not be a good idea. :) But I want to not use the deck power and go Full RCA preamp outputs for cleanest output from the deck. But as it sits now? GOd the sound is so clean and clear. But it could use a Teeny bit more air on top. Right now its so easy to listen to and clear.

Anways, back to setting up the lasers outside. I got the coolest toy from Ace Hardware. A laser Holiday projector that does custom words for $25 BUCKS! WHOO HOO! Can't wait to try to incorporate something like that in my car.

I am ordering a Audrio set and a rasberry pie so that I can start doing some custom things in my van with the lights, and of course the Chrysler EVA system! I really want to have the car greet me when I come in. That would be SO COOL!

Also, the door open chimes etc. One thing I really want to do is get a custom accelerator brake controller. I know there is an off the shelf one, but the PROGRAMING of it DAMN! I would rather build the code all myself

If you guys here about anything new coming this way for that, let me know.

I also got my Light meter, so I will be doing some before and afters of the HID upgrades.

Late.

·
Super Moderator
21,595 Posts
You are busy, busy. :ThumbsUp:
I hear Santa is looking for help right now, interested? He needs more light on his sleigh, maybe a few more reindeer with red noses. :biggrin:

·
Registered
106 Posts
I'm also not going to bother with the High beam Bulbs,. Going to drop in a legit CREE 100w LED chips in there, and call it a day. Nothing puts out more light then that thing. Even puts some light bars to shame.
Out of curiosity, how would you install LED chips (arrays, I assume?) to high beam reflectors? They're designed for filament-sized light source and a LED of any kind won't be even close to producing the designed light pattern.

As far as wiping the floor with light bars, my tweaked 120...150W ballasts with large capsule aeromotive HID bulbs (brazed to halogen bases) have been doing just that for better part of a decade, producing a very close match to the beam pattern the reflectors are supposed to. 42" light bars can barely produce two thirds of the lightpower a pair of them can, and quads haven't been uncommon in some of my cars/vans/trucks. Well over half a mile of 5lux throw even with a non-pencil beam, that is.

·
1,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #400
For that, we go to Candle Power Forums!

Out of curiosity, how would you install LED chips (arrays, I assume?) to high beam reflectors? They're designed for filament-sized light source and a LED of any kind won't be even close to producing the designed light pattern.

As far as wiping the floor with light bars, my tweaked 120...150W ballasts with large capsule aeromotive HID bulbs (brazed to halogen bases) have been doing just that for better part of a decade, producing a very close match to the beam pattern the reflectors are supposed to. 42" light bars can barely produce two thirds of the lightpower a pair of them can, and quads haven't been uncommon in some of my cars/vans/trucks. Well over half a mile of 5lux throw even with a non-pencil beam, that is.
I'm thinking about just using a parabolic lens.

THIS IS HOW STRATUS DOES IT.

I think they are pretty good at it since they are used for filming and light scatter is not a very good thing for Filming at night or aerial photography.

381 - 400 of 415 Posts
About this Discussion
414 Replies
15 Participants
imickey503
The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums
ChryslerMinivan.net is the best forum for Chrysler Town and Country owners to discuss mileage, price, problems, towing and more. Join now!
Full Forum Listing