The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

401 - 415 of 415 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
I think they are pretty good at it since they are used for filming and light scatter is not a very good thing for Filming at night or aerial photography.
Interesting. Filming lights usually have uniform light dispersion, not a progressive hot spot that's preferable in high beams, but the parabolic "thrower" reflector on the module you linked looks quite a bit more like a hot spot design. I wonder if the module and reflector fit in the minivan headlight housing and if it does, how it'll get a sufficient cooling airflow. Estimating from the photo, it's approximately 9x5" in size which may be a tight fit.

Good luck, I'm looking forward to seeing the finished installation.

·
Voted most useless member
1,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #402
My finished design is going to have all the driver circuitry Placed on the outside. As far as cooling, Liquid cooling from a basic PC Heatsink will be the way to go as its is Low profile, and will fit in the Sonar Housing.

The CREE LED This guy below has been used in some great Flashlight builds. There is a reflector housing that fits this guy perfect after some time on the lathe. The total depth would be less than 5 inches and would fit the housing perfectly. I am still experimenting with some Parabolic lenses from an LHS and some others that used them on High Beams to see if I can get a sharp focused 30' beam angle. I have even tested it with some short throw lenses that are from a Rear Projection CRT TV that seem to focus the light almost perfectly, BUT THEY ARE HUGE! They work great however, it's just how am I going to make fit ? They will work great on my VOlvo since the housing is not an issue since its LARGE. But I am slowly thinking about some really advanced solutions.

Call me crazy, but I did some initial tests with using a Projector. I ordered 2 of them to severe as guinea pigs. Thing is, I was able actually do something kind of cool by having an active focusing of the light even when the car goes over a bump or change height. Yea, I was not driving the car while doing it, and I was serving as the controller, but I was able to stop that "Flash" you get when you go over a bump with regular focused headlights.

I know they make headlight leveling systems, but this would be with no moving parts. You can also change the color of the beam to match the rain conditions. Say, if it was foggy, you wanted more yellow light output etc. (Though the science behind that is still sort of murky)

Here is my reasoning:

THe Image bellow show a typical street when it is wet outside. The Light scatters all over. When you have cars coming at you from the other direction, it is almost impossible to see people on the side crossing.

If you could selectively throw light where a CCD sensor (Infrared would be best coupled with a regular CCD Device) could atuentate glare and be able to focus the light say on the sides without causing glare for drivers or you.

Night vision based on thermal Cameras could see warm objects such as people who be able to warn you or shine the light so that you would be able to see them, and do it in a way that it would not be noticeable to the driver as say a light coming on. It would do it in a smooth fashion.

See, the problem with night time driving is that we can have great aftermarket Morimoto housings, but that only really works well when on the highways or etc. Flat long roads are perfect. But it can be a problem with CIty driving or dense urban areas.

Since everything is going to LED's now, LPS or Low pressure sodium lighting that gave so much clarity at night are starting to be replaced with these all over. AND THEY SUCK!
Notice the color clarity of the image at night.

TOday, the Lighting sucks MANG! Sure its BRIGHT. But that's not always great. When it rains, it can be almost impossible to see at night with these LED lights overhead.

THey say they work better, but in actual practice, I don't think so. THey use images like these:

And say its better afterwards, but the eye and the camera lens don't see it the same way.

·
Registered
106 Posts
This is fascinating. I've looked into some LED headlight conversion ideas (mainly modules) during last couple of years but not really looked into a pure driver + emitter + lens/reflector setup.

They're HIGHLY illegal in car applications but then again, I haven't bothered about the legality for a long time so something like this may well work. When I saw this, the first application I thought of is my son's Celica GT-Four (ST205) and its fog light openings in the front bumper. They're approximately 5" in diameter so a pair of modules like these, in custom enclosures, could easily take its high beam performance to a totally new level. Fog lights are long gone and useless at best so using the location for auxiliary high beams is tempting.

So is installing an array of 6-10 of these to the roof rack or ski box of the GV. If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing and 100.000+ lumens sounds so absolutely crazy that I almost have to look into it now.

Thanks for the tip. This may result in something joyfully insane. :blink:

·
1,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #404
Time to change the Transmission. Reverse went out.

I buy a new one, or pull one from the junkyard from a wrecked AWD Van OR See if I can get one of the Pacifica Transmission, and see if everything fits.

I was going to just to the rebuild route on the spare I have since I know its in better condition, but I don't yet have my own shop space. All I got is a driveway. Who knows, I might try it. Can't be that hard. Just have to have all the right tools.

I'm a fan of bolt in and go, so that may just be the way to go. That would also take care of the transmission leak, and I'm sure the worn torque convertor all in one step.

So if I find a wrecked one, chances are I knew it was driving. I see a ton of these vans in PERFECT condition in the yards, and I'm pretty sure that they all came in due to transmission issues.

Now I looked into how hard it was to pull one from a PACIFICA/// That is NO PICNIC! You got to just about take out EVERYTHING just to get to it.

I still have not really been able to answer if the only difference is the gear ratio, in the 41AE and the mounting flange you put on it to make it work with the AWD system.

Looks like all the other parts to do a rebuild kit are all the same.

Anyways, Looks like I will have another Transmission video for you guys to watch. I think This time, I'm going to order the head mount go pro so you guys can see just what it takes to do the job. I wanted to get the 1080P glasses, but almost ALL of them suck. The video looks like it came from some flip phone back in 2006.

Guess its a great time to put in the fuel pump in the volvo, and get it up and running. My PT cruiser needs and alignment and and tires anyways.

·
1,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #405
Silicone Wipers
Get them

I have been using the Silicone Blades for over 4 years now, and they are just now starting to go bad. One has torn, and the other has essietly got so pitted that that it just does not wipe well anymore.

After looking at how much Single wipers were, I said to **** with that! $28 bucks for a wiper blade! You got to be out of your mind! And they are not even silicone!

So right now there are some Blades on Ebay form a seller that is selling blades for my ride, and I snagged them up. Its actully not been very rainy like past years, but April showers are coming sooner or later!

The construction of the blades seems to be all plastic. But if you look closer, it's just a facia.
http://www.silblade.com/assets/images/SilBlade_Cutaway.jpg

I wanted to get the colored ones, but I guess that might have to wait till I try these out.

I also wanted to tell you NEVER TO BOTHER WITH THOSE CHEAP STUPID double blade wipers. OMG THEY SUCK!
https://www.carid.com/pilot/arista-dual-wiper-blade.html

Also, I have been looking into upgrading my wiper nozzles and also getting the hot water system working. I have seen some that would be really easy to install. But so far I have not been able to get a good deal on these so far.

FluidHeater.png

Update on the Transmission.

I'm about to go pull one from the junkyard if nothing else. I don't really have the tools to do the job at home. I could, but some things are better sent off to a rebuilder. I'm trying to find someone in the local Portland Area that wants to do that. If not, just a Junk yard pull seems to be the way to go. Seen some Crashed up rides, so I might be pulling one sooner or later this week. Would be nice to have reverse back.

Update on LED back up lights.

Would be nice to have reverse lights that REALLY shine an honest 20,000 lumens. And guess what! I got them!
I will be showing the whole build and log for that in a bit! If I can shoe horn some more deals on housings? I will have about 40,000 lumens. And the MOST killer "Fog Lights" ever made! No kidding! I am going to be Slightly overdriving them since they are only going to be on for a very short time. They will be in closed aluminum housing too!
I'm going to Silicone the **** out of them to make sure they are water tight and don't fog up. They are the Bumper type! So they mount flush to the bumper.

Update on EL wire and other lighting.

I was able to 0rder some DC-DC boosters that were small and would work perfect with the EL inverters to keep them at a toasty 15 Vdc At this voltage they get BRIGHT! And so, they will be going in soon. I got a bunch of them from ebay from practically nothing! I am looking at installing the Roof lights soon. I have the RGB bluetooth controllers, and also plan on getting a Arduino or Raspberry pie in order to run them via Bluetooth if possible. If not, a direct wire to the unit with another kind of driver may be needed.
The plan is to do kind of like a Runway lighting effect. Also to turn on the lights as soon as it detects my Wifi as soon as I pull up to the home. Kind of like an automated Alexa or google home. It will also turn on the Lights Warning people that I am backing up. I might do this manually and put a timer on the circuit. I was thinking about wiring it up to a flame thrower so JUST IN CASE people can't see me backing up...... (Na.... :)

Update on other lighting.

INJECTOR LEDS:
After I get done doing my engine, and doing some much needed maintenance on the bearings and other stuff to get the engine bay as quiet as possible, I plan to actually do something really cool. Put LED on the Injectors so they pulse when they shoot fuel. Pretty cool! I am going to be keeping the stock wires, and then using connectors if I can to hook up the LED to the injectors. I don't want to mess with the ip67 rating on the wires under the hood. So doing this will be the safest way to do so.

Locking side Seat Glove Box compartment:

I plan to get a switch that I can use like a PIR sensor instead of a Hard wired switch. I have all the parts ready to go! And COOL! Its going to be RGB! I kept thinking about the switch, but I leave it open so often, I wanted to be able to see when I put my hands in there. And for it to go off when it does not detect motion! So instead of spending all that money on custom hardware, I am using a slightly modified Toilet Light circuit! God I love these things! So many uses for the Built in PIR and Night light function built in!
Power will be from Dollar tree 5v USB power supply.

Till next time!

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
9,318 Posts
.....Blades for over 4 years now, and they are just now starting to go bad. One has torn, and the other has essietly got so pitted that that it just does not wipe well anymore.

I also wanted to tell you NEVER TO BOTHER WITH THOSE CHEAP STUPID double blade wipers. OMG THEY SUCK!
Never buy double blade wipers, blade pressure is distributed between both blades, only half of the pressure is applied on each blade, not enough to do a good job.

Wiper blades only last me about a year, if I want them to perform as they should.

·
1,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #407
Great! Another electrical problem! This time its the Dome lights flickerin on and off

So today, the dome lights started flashing on and off rapidly. The Rear hatch light is on, so it seems the sensor (since there is no real switch) seems to have gone out. I'm not really certain on how that works, but I suspect its a magnetic switch.

I'm going to have to do some digging in the FSM and see if I can find out more about it. Right now, I just turned the Dimmer switch to the off position, and am hoping that solves the problem. However I would not be surprised if its a grounding issue of some kind. So lets start checking out the lights in the cabin to make sure there are no grounding issues, then check the current draw.

After that, going to go to the tailgate and inspect the switch.

I've been busy playing with my New toy (THE MOST POWERFUL CONSUMER LEAF BLOWER EVER!!!! :biggrin:

But I should get around to it soon. And post with pics what I did to fix it.

I also need to fix the "pond" lights on the doors as they have both seemed to go out. I have a spare ready to go in, they just don't say Chrysler on them , but have a cool pattern. Really, they are just LED mini projectors. I would rather have a strong laser there instead, and will be ordering some more soon. The cheap ones just don't cut the mustard. The plastic housing just makes them overheat.

·
3rd gen > all others
2,159 Posts
I used some silicone blade refills on my Supra back in the late 90's when they were sold in stores. I loved them! The longer they worked, the more silicone they imbedded in the glass and the easier they wiped. I used them for years, and sold the car with them on back in 2010? I should have kept those blades, but I thought I could simply buy more. The stores no longer carried them, and just stocked the plain rubber blades that need to be frequently replaced. I guess long-lasting blades were bad for business.

I use Bosch Icon blades now, but I will be searching online for silicone blades for my other cars now that they are still being sold. :)

·
Registered
106 Posts
I've been busy playing with my New toy (THE MOST POWERFUL CONSUMER LEAF BLOWER EVER!!!! :biggrin:
Massively off-topic, but Husky 580 or Redmax 8500? I've considered replacing my well-worn Dolmar (195mph, 720cfm) with either now that more powerful blowers have actually been introduced. It's been the king of the hill since mid-00's but not anymore. Buffalo Turbine Mega would kick some serious ass but my neighbors would really hate my guts if I got one... :nut:

·
1,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #410
Massively off-topic, but Husky 580 or Redmax 8500? I've considered replacing my well-worn Dolmar (195mph, 720cfm) with either now that more powerful blowers have actually been introduced. It's been the king of the hill since mid-00's but not anymore. Buffalo Turbine Mega would kick some serious ass but my neighbors would really hate my guts if I got one... :nut:
Dude. My BRIAN is off topic. And so is this thread. OFF TOPIC AWAY! :)

I live next to Democraps. I need a Powerful BLOWER. :)

Just in the last few weeks, I blew so much of their Damn trash they just "Clean out" their cars right on the side of the road. Everywhere they park , they leave "bread crumbs" of TacoBell Packets, Fast Food, This time some Prescription drug pills, And so much more. So I blow it all down to the Main road. All of a sudden, the Street cleaners come out and start cleaning up the road the next day.

If I could get a Jet Engine strapped to my back? I WOULD!

Just for kicks? check this out! :lORD almighty! They look like the Blowers that they use on Ships to evacuate a Compartment. I always wanted to get one of those Turbo's they use on Diesel trucks,

Now if we are talking about blowers... BOY would I love this strapped to my back!

The vacuum attachment would be KILLER TOO!

GOT to love Races right?

I got this guy. Still wish it had MOAR POWA! But dang, its comfy, Almost Zero Vibration, and and it sure gets the job done. Now If I could JUST install some LED's.. :)

I got it for No kidding. $139 Bucks! BRAND NEW, but Open box with extra parts and Extra things of 2 cycle mix. With how THirsty this thing is, After the can of Premix fuel, I had to go get regular Gas. But I did use all the treatment options that are out there for keeping the carby clean. Full tank lasts about an hour if filled to the top. Not bad! Starts right up, and I keep it inside. Man, I feel like A REAL BOY NOW!

All I need now is a Trump Hat, and a Make America BLow Again T SHIRT! :)

I'm off to finish doing a data rescue. Catch you guys later. And Feel free to post whatever in this thread.

Later guys!

·
1,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #411
The Gates Solution Kit now Problem Kit.

Well, its not like I did not ask for it. Yes folks, I am that person that serves as a warning beacon for others. A LOUD one.

So this last week, my Gates double sided $90 Belt just CHEWED itself to Infinity and beyond. I was left with just 3 ribs on the belt and TONS of SPAGHETTI. Why did this happen? Is it Gates Fault? **** NO!

This is what happens when you start messing with things under the hood. One of those things for me would be the installation of the Alternator Overdrive pulley. This Little gem that I love so MUCH has been causing me some issues since installation. So for me, that means a TOTAL CUSTOM belt drive system.

You would be amazed at just how little of a choice you have when it comes to Serpentine drive belt systems.

The Dayco guide on Pulleys is one of the BEST resources in the world if you want to cross reference pulleys. But it's a TON of work to find a system that will work. And EVEN then, you are kind of stuck with a few parts due to having to use a double sided belt vs single sided flat belt.

Now I have to thanks Gates for getting back to me and they sent me an email and sent me the pulleys that would work with my system. I JUST WISH I GOT IT BEFORE I STARTED ORDERING PARTS LOL!

So if you want to talk to them in person, they our based out of Denver. And I did get a woman that replied to me and sent me some pulleys that would work. However, I ordered other pulleys that work just fine? SO? I think she MIGHT have been just cross referencing parts. Not sure.

NOW today, it seems like I am ready to start selling a Alternator Overdrive Kit. One that works with the STOCK Flat Belt, and the Double sided belt as well.

THe Gates belt, is in fact SHORTER then the Stock belt. It's one of the reasons why my Overdrive Pulley worked for so long.

Now the LENGTH is about 1 inch shorter APPROXIMATELY

Now the Gates Solution kit uses the Part number of the BELT as
[FONT=&quot]Gates DK060956

[/FONT]
Now Oreillys has this belt listed with these specifications for the belt as I am not able to find it on the GATES site:

• Warranty: 3 Year Limited Warranty
  • Unit of Measure: Each
  • UPC: # 770075238928
  • Number Of Ribs: 6
  • Top Width (In): 13/16 Inch
  • Top Width (mm): 20mm
  • Outside Circumference (In): 95-3/4 Inch
  • Outside Circumference (mm): 2432mm
  • Effective Length (In):
  • Effective Length (mm): 2427mm
  • Belt Material: EPDM, Polyester

With that in mind, lets see what the STOCK belt is if you have Air con, and all that jazz. Basically a stock set up!

• Warranty: 3 Year Limited Warranty
  • Unit of Measure: Each
  • UPC: # 72053009644
  • Number Of Ribs: 6
  • Top Width (In): 13/16 Inch
  • Top Width (mm): 20mm
  • Outside Circumference (In): 97-3/16 Inch
  • Outside Circumference (mm): 2468mm
  • Effective Length (In): 96-5/8 Inch
  • Effective Length (mm): 2454mm
  • Belt Material: EPDM, Polyester

SO, it's about an ~INCH or so SHORTER!

So,

THE OEM pulleys that come with it are in fact the 3" pulleys. them OEM pulleys are about 3.5 inches. Lets do this in Millimeters. (Next post)

·
1,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #412
Continued.

So the Pulleys that come with the kit are the Gates 3" pulleys (2.99Inches or 76mm) and the solution kit comes with 2 of them. Hence the SHORTER BELT: These are the Pulleys that come with them. And of course Amazons Link to them:
This is what Oreilys says on their site. I really like they list this INFO. Makes it easy to order parts. Just wish they kept them in stock. Almost everything I want is Special order. :cry:

So Again, 3 inch pulley is what the GATES solution kit comes with.

Now the OEM pulley size, lets talk about that. Now what I have seen is that the OEM pulley that comes with these cars is FLAT but has a Very small lip on it. It metal. Not like the smooth one with the rounded edge. that you get aftermarket. I can't find an image of it, but I am sure I got one someplace. But the PULLEY looks like this Sort of. (THE ONE ON THE LEFT) It has a SMALL indent on one side or both sides of it as the one that I have seen. It gives it a small valley to ride in.

And this is our FRIEND the rounded PULLEY, or as I like to call it. Mrs. AstroGLIDE!

that DOES work great with the: [h=1]Dorman 82570 HELP! Tensioner Pulley Shield[/h]For ALL those WET and SLIPPERY situations. Hmm. I wonder... Nevermind.

Anyway..

The stock pulleys that come with our vans are this model:

So what when I spoke with gates, they sent me this. Man I love USA! We really do have the best people working here!

So what did I ORDER?

·
1,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #413
So why is all the info uP? If you want to go my route and install things like AD-244 alternator / Dual alternator set ups, etc and do some custom belt drive stuff, (supercharger) YOU CAN! AND STILL KEEP THE BELT ON IN THE RAIN!

(But for RIGHT NOW? No. I'm still looking into what combination of pulleys to use I did find the GOLDEN Pulley in the Garage. The ELUSIVE OEM pulley that has a LIP or a small Grove for the belt to ride in. I placed that one in the Idler section. And I have the Astro-glide Lubed Pulley of death and Triple AAA Mayhem in the ... GULP..Pensioner... Tension-er. (whatever spellcheck) section.

So far so good. ZERO NOISE from under the hood. But the belt tension is STILL not to specifications for belt tightness. (loose. ) So it's going to be a the 109MM - 110mm (4.25inch ) pulleys next. That will complete the OVerdrive kit and them some testing. I will be making some CUSTOM pulleys as well! I am going to TRY to find one that is smooth that is flat. But so far? Looks like I am going to have to make them.

Also, Its getting to be that time to start replacing the Idler. For the record, I HATE the GATES Spring type Idler. I don't care what anyone says, that thing looks out of spec from the factory. I like the large Round spring style better.

I have another Walmart Value battery to replace, (they don't seem to like the cold winter to much) And it seems it never got the 14.4 VOlts its loves since the alternator was slipping. RIght now VOltage is a ROCK solid 13.8 at the OBD port.

After doing some testing on this setup, its going to be time for the AD-244 kit, and then pull the engine, throw a Junk yard wrecked trans and engine combo in, and call it a day. I am going to see if I can swap in the 2001 valve covers as I HATE the ones that are on my engine. THEY LEAK! And the gaskets are WAY to expensive for what they are. Redoo the COld air intake setup, and then tackle whatever else there needs to be done.

Its a good time for some R & R. And I need to return a 5" pulley back to Amazon.

Now if it could ONLY stop raining?

·
1,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #414
Boy it's been a while. Well, 79 days in jail can do that to you. Still kind of messed up about the dude I saw die in front of me, and just trying to get things back to order.

I will be doing some write ups soon. I got a lot to do this month. Good news? NO LONGER AM I ON PROBATION! And, I'm Pro Se! That means, I know enough law to embarrass SOME public Defenders. :)

More on that when I get around to it. I just wanted to check in. Miss you guys.

·
1,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #415
Out of JAIL and BACK over the HUMP!

Well, TODAY I just bought some BRAND NEW TIRES. I got 4 of them for less then NO KIDDING, $157 bucks!
Where? WALMART OF COURSE!

Also, time to take care of some MISC Problems that I have not tackled before the rain and cold weather kick in.

FIrst, I went to Lowes. Picked up some stuff I am going to need to get the inside of the doors looking great and fix things that just have been not held up.

FIrst is going to have to be the Pound lights that say "Chrysler" in the doors. They JUST have not held up. The LED's are fine. But the step down converter is shot. The Board broke from all the banging. So, HOW am I going to fix that? EASY! I just bought new ones. Before I install these this time, I'm going to HOT glue the inside of the boards. They are just floating around in the case. That is why they broke.

Also, the 6x9 I installed started to Buzz. Why? Well it was NOT the Speaker or the AMP.. It was the Dust cap that came off from the woofer. Took that small paper cap off, and ALL is good for now. In the future, I'm going to do something a but more custom and high end in the future.

FOr now its trying to get the doors PERFECT. So I got some "dynamat" in the form of Peel and seal and some other cool tricks for adding mass to the doors. This is a stop gap before I go full out Dynaudio on the doors with custom Fiberglass door pods. Right now it's just simply getting rid of the last bit of Vibration in the doors.

Of COURSE its NIGHT TIME.. I have an excuse this time! My Antibiotic makes me sensitive to sun. :)

I will put up photos as I can. While I feel good, better Knock this out.

I

401 - 415 of 415 Posts
About this Discussion
414 Replies
15 Participants
imickey503
The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums
ChryslerMinivan.net is the best forum for Chrysler Town and Country owners to discuss mileage, price, problems, towing and more. Join now!
Full Forum Listing