The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
To be fair to the OP, I don't believe that she faults the person she got the van from. I think she wants to go after the dealership that sold the van to that person. Regardless, it's a waste of time to take it any further. She is not the original party that may have been wronged and it would be almost impossible to prove anything anyway.

Years ago cars with 100k miles on the clock were considered to be near the end of their life cycle and there was some incentive to show lower mileage. Heck, the odometers back then would only go to 99,999 before resetting to zero. Nowadays a quarter million miles is nothing on some vehicles. I can't imagine anybody is really going to bother to turn back the odometer on a minivan and then only by 30k miles. The difference in resale value between 168k and 198k on a 4th gen minivan is simply not gonna be worth it.

·
Super Moderator
29,235 Posts
I suppose, if one had all the facts, they could put a sign on their vehicle saying
"Shop ABC turned the Odometer back 30000 miles
They could do that for you too"

and leave it at that for whoever reads the sign to figure it out.
Ask the Shop for permission first, just to put them on the alert. :)
DO get at least 5 minutes of legal advice.

·
fix it if you can
5,592 Posts
I suppose, if one had all the facts, they could put a sign on their vehicle saying
"Shop ABC turned the Odometer back 30000 miles
They could do that for you too"

and leave it at that for whoever reads the sign to figure it out.
Ask the Shop for permission first, just to put them on the alert. :)
DO get at least 5 minutes of legal advice.
Were you the one giving friendly advice to @LEVY before he went MIA?

Would you really want to open that can of worms - with nothing to gain and much to loose (anything from 'slander' liability to van suddenly catching on fire or brake lines bursting or being cut to who knows what).

·
Registered
194 Posts
<SNIP>
Unfortunately… I didn’t buy this van. It was given to me. Soooo, what do I do then?
<SNIP>

I think that's the disqualifier. Do you live in Michigan as you mentioned no inspections?

If you had actually bought this and are a Michigander, Michigainian, a Michigan resident I'd have referred you to Steve Lehto, a Michigan lawyer specializing in lemon law.
He's got a YouTube channel and has done many videos on odometer fraud.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
I'm no lawyer, but don't see how the poster has a civil complaint against the dealer since they didn't buy the vehicle from the dealer. They might be able to complain to a state authority to investigate the dealer, but likely some innocent error, perhaps by an earlier shop. Little benefit in faking 30K miles. The BCM mileage is probably more important in the rusty north than the PCM engine-transmission mileage, but even more critical is the rust which depends on where it was parked and if washed underneath after every salty winter drive.

·
Registered
288 Posts
OP didn't pay anything for the vehicle. It was given to her.

It is yet to be proven that anybody was ripped off or is a fraud victim.

If the only mileage discrepancy is between the cluster odometer and the mileage stored in the PCM then that is NOT evidence of fraud. The stored mileage in the PCM can be changed at any time by anybody with the appropriate scan tool.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Hey y’all, I recently discovered that the Dodge dealership my husband’s aunt got this van from lied to her and the van has 30k more than the odometer shows. 198k-ish and not 168k.

Most people would probably leave it and be at peace knowing what it really is. I am not most people. 🤣 I wanna see it roll over to 200k, dangit!! It taunted me with all its mechanical failures and the labor I had to do… I think I deserve it lol!

We don’t have inspections in this state, just super curious what you’d do in this situation. Or what you can legally do. Do you contact the dealership who will call you a delusional woman and send you on your way? I sure wish it worked so that they’d owe us a check for this lol.

2004 T&C Limited 3.8L btw.
Wow, that is intriguingly interesting. How did you discover this? What proof have you found of odometer tampering?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Thank you all for the validation LOL! I felt silly at first but like… now I have 30k less potential life on this vehicle and your girl is SALTY.

Unfortunately… I didn’t buy this van. It was given to me. Soooo, what do I do then?

PS I don’t have the Carfax but on (I believe) vincheck.info I found the last two dealerships. I want to get one though.
Its old, like mine, 160k, so, just live with it till she can no longer move.

·
3rd gen > all others
4,200 Posts
30K miles can be a big deal. That's the transmission fluid change interval, and with prices going up that could cost $65 or more just for fluid, filter and a gasket. If the van was thought to have been 168K and is really 198K, that could mean a lot of parts are about to wear out, that wasn't accounted for and costs money. The van was given to her by relatives who thought it would probably be good for a few more years and not cost much in maintenance to help her along financially, when it turns around to be a money pit. I think that is the root of the frustration here. Remember, single mom with 3 kids needing reliable transportation.

·
fix it if you can
5,592 Posts
it would probably be good for a few more years and not cost much in maintenance
to quote Forest Gump:

Not knowing the facts, not drawing any conclusions.
It's perfectly fine to suspect foul play and investigate, it's not a good practice to accuse or point fingers unless one has evidence to back up such claims.

·
3rd gen > all others
4,200 Posts
Carfax is hardly worth anything. I have a car that was damaged in an accident (frame bent) and the carfax didn't show any accidents at all, just a few emissions tests/mileage when the car was driven in the cities when testing was mandatory (it isn't anymore, hasn't been in years). It could potentially hold some clues, but don't count on it.

Might be worth a peek at the PCM mounted on the outside of the frame rail driver's side, just behind the bumper cover. It could have a sticker on it announcing that it is a rebuilt unit and a date. I found a TCM on a van in the junkyard (2001-2003) that had a bright orange sticker on it declaring such.

Reactions: beat_truck
21 - 37 of 37 Posts