The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just staying in touch with all y'all. I'm the guy who adopted Road Rippers idea of installing 2005 Chrysler Pacifica strut/spring assemblies on my 2005 Dodge Caravan to lift the front end about 4”. Several folks expressed concerns about how such a lift might affect my Caravan's handling. Well... this past summer I did a +5,000 mile road trip touring several western states. My first state was Nevada and Great Basin NP as well as SH50 “The Loneliest Road In America” and also the most boring! Next was Idaho and western Montana touring the Sawtooth Mountain Range and Montana's Bitterroot Mountains. Some beautiful country with lots of winding roads and some very daunting "primitive" gravel roads that my Caravan took in stride. Finally, the +100 degree heat got to me and I fled across Washington, first to Port Angeles and next a tour of the coast. The 65 degree coastal temps were really wonderful! Just outside of Port Angeles I took a one lane gravel road, which I nicknamed the “El Camino de la Muerte”, for 18 miles back into a campground located in the Olympic Mountains. It was so beautiful I stayed for several days completely blown away by the beauty of my surroundings. After that it was onwards south along the Washington and Oregon coasts. Unfortunately, I camp in my Caravan and between the state and local governments they've pretty much shut off the Oregon coast to boondocking. Around Bandon Oregon I headed east to Klamath Falls Oregon and took a tour of Crater Lake NP on the way. I toured Crater Lake itself, but the CL lodge was so jammed with people I decided to move on. Traveling west on Oregon's SH140 I saw a huge pyrocumulus cloud formation created by the +350,000 acre Bootleg Forest Fire burning underneath it. I finally decided to head home to SE Arizona taking a rout that passed by the North Rim of the Grand Canyon NP. The park was so Jammed with people that I kept moving on. However, I saw the North Rim several years ago so I guess that'll do.

I arrived at my home in SE Arizona after putting over 5,000 miles on my lifted Caravan, much of it on steep winding mountain roads, many gravel, and I had no problems controlling the car. So much for all the warnings people had expressed that I'd likely lose control of my lifted Caravan and die. Well I checked the obits this morning and amazingly I'm still alive. As for my Caravan it just recently turned 285,000 miles. Life is good!

Steve

PS sorry it's taken so long to post this, I accidentally posted it on a different website several months ago. Again, I'm sorry about that.

·
3rd gen > all others
3,769 Posts
^^He has a short wheelbase Caravan, so that's why he got more lift than us with the long wheelbase.

Great to hear the van is treating you well, especially at that mileage! (y)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Wheel Car Tire Land vehicle Sky

Before

Wheel Car Sky Tire Cloud

After

I left the stock tires on, after all my Caravan's never going to be an off-road vehicle. I just wanted to achieve the ground clearance that most cars came standard with back in the 1950's (when I was a kid) and there were a lot more crappy gravel roads than there are today.

Overall I'm very pleased with the modification.

As far as the exact lift... I spent my career as a geologist, I'm not an engineer, it may be 3" I don't know for sure or particularly care. All I know is that, thanks to Road Ripper's helpful insight, it's now adequate to meet my needs.

Thanks Road Ripper!

Steve

PS I've actually had strangers approach and ask me what I did to get the lift. It's that noticeable.

·
Registered
2006 Dodge Caravan SXE
932 Posts
View attachment 64269
Before

View attachment 64270
After

I left the stock tires on, after all my Caravan's never going to be an off-road vehicle. I just wanted to achieve the ground clearance that most cars came standard with back in the 1950's (when I was a kid) and there were a lot more crappy gravel roads than there are today.

Overall I'm very pleased with the modification.

As far as the exact lift... I spent my career as a geologist, I'm not an engineer, it may be 3" I don't know for sure or particularly care. All I know is that, thanks to Road Ripper's helpful insight, it's now adequate to meet my needs.

Thanks Road Ripper!

Steve

PS I've actually had strangers approach and ask me what I did to get the lift. It's that noticeable.
Bummer you had recently posted this. I was debating to do this with my van, but didn't know what other parts to get like the vertical stabilizer and how to attach the wheel sensor for ABS out of the way. So - - - I just went with the standard setup.

If you could post what hardware and p/n's you went with, it would be a SUPER help to all here. And the next time I have to change the front struts out. Because, I hear that the quick struts only have a life of 2 or 3 years.

Could you take the front wheel off and snap a fex pixs too please. Thanks much!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts