The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a 2010 Dodge Caravan SXT. My van did not come equipped with Uconnect bluetooth or navigation. The head unit is an RBZ 430 model. Now, I have an RER head unit from a 2008 Chrysler Town & Country that I am wanting to swap over to my Caravan. What will I need to make this a successful transfer? Please be as detailed as possible. I removed the RER head unit along with the factory auto dimming mirror that contains the mic. I was told that I can use the Sirius satellite radio antenna for the GPS as I am not using Sirius nor do I plan to, but I also have the GPS antenna from the Chrysler should I need it. I'm disabled and trying to do this myself, so any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh, I almost forgot. I'd also like to swap out my manual HVAC controls for the digital ones from the Chrysler. Does anyone know if that's possible or not and if it would be plug and play or what? Never mind. I found a thread here about it and it sounds like WAY too much hassle and the digital unit sounds troublesome also. Guess I'll forget that idea.

·
Registered
2009 GCV SE
1,975 Posts
If you search up the part number of the radio on google, see what vehicle the other units with the same part number came out of. If it's out of a Dodge caravan or town and country, then it will be a high speed.

Edit: For the RER NAV and BT addition, you will need to add the auto dim mirror and auto dim mirror wiring harness, and then you will need the piece in the dash coming from the auto mirror harness which goes to the radio. The auto mirror harness can come out of any 2008 and up van, just find the connector by the E-brake and see if its white or grey, then find a van with the same color connector as yours and grab that auto mirror harness piece. However the piece between the radio and that plugs into the auto mirror harness at the base of the A-pillar is 730 specific, you will need to find a van with which had the 730 and cut out the wires going from the center plug of the radio, that go to the auto mirror harness. The 430 uses a dash module unlike the 730, which is why you can't grab that harness. The NAV antenna itself is really easy to grab, it runs from the blue connector at the radio to just above the radio where the antenna sits.

As for the digital auto climate, I did it to my 2009 and I think it's worth it. It will take some work but it is doable. The main thing is you will need to either make an adapter, cut the existing wires and solder on the new connector, tap into the existing wires, or change out the entire dash harness. You will also need to run 3 wires up to the overhead console for the interior temp sensor, 2 wires up to the sun sensor, 2 wires to the front ac wiring by the HVAC ducts, and one wire all the way to the rear hvac blower. It took me a year to figure this out as one wire in the front hvac differs between manual and auto.
Motor vehicle Automotive design Electrical wiring Electronic instrument Gadget

Between the auto and manual unit, they all use fully electric doors in the hvac ducts, the only difference is the auto function and auto control of the temperature doors and the addition of a sun sensor and a interior I/R sensor. I hadn't experienced any issues with mine since I installed it back in 2018.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the information. It's pretty much what I thought on the radio swap, but I'm having trouble figuring out how to get the harness I need out of the parts van, and then of course, how to install it in my van. I don't mind tearing up the parts van a bit to get to what I need, but I don't want to damage anything on mine when I go to install it. I already basically have the dash mostly stripped in the parts van, but can't figure out how to remove the entire dash that remains so I can get to the harness. I saw a video online where a mechanic was replacing the evaporator in a 2008 and removed the entire dash in one big piece, but he rushed through the removal and didn't show the locations of all the bolts that need to be removed to get it out. Any help on that issue?

·
Registered
2009 GCV SE
1,975 Posts
Thanks for the information. It's pretty much what I thought on the radio swap, but I'm having trouble figuring out how to get the harness I need out of the parts van, and then of course, how to install it in my van. I don't mind tearing up the parts van a bit to get to what I need, but I don't want to damage anything on mine when I go to install it. I already basically have the dash mostly stripped in the parts van, but can't figure out how to remove the entire dash that remains so I can get to the harness. I saw a video online where a mechanic was replacing the evaporator in a 2008 and removed the entire dash in one big piece, but he rushed through the removal and didn't show the locations of all the bolts that need to be removed to get it out. Any help on that issue?
If you're only grabbing it for the wires of the radio for the BT, the small center plug on the back of the radio is all the wires for the mike. The harness piece for the BT, overhead screens, dvd player, and backup camera is all one separate piece to the rest of the wiring in the dash. This piece will run from the base of the driver side A-pillar, to behind and above the air ducts, to between the 2 main center air ducts and then to the radio. Following the wires from the center plug of the radio, I would cut the wires that go down from the radio, the wires that go to the right side of the dash, unplug the 4 connectors above the steering shaft, and pull the harness piece out. It will be clipped in at 2 points behind and out of reach, wiggle and pull the wires down from the driver footwell. I wouldn't tear the dash apart for it.

You can remove the entire dash as a piece, there are bolts along the base of the windshield from the top side of the dash to remove, there are bolts on either side of the dash which are visible when you remove the side window defroster vent trim piece, underneath will be like 3 or 4 bolts to remove, and then at the base of the dash on the floor there are supports, I would remove the bolts that screw straight into the floor. Then there are a few 10mm bolts securing the hvac to the dash, one in the driver footwell, and 2 in the passenger footwell, they all screw straight up from the footwells. Then the whole dash needs to lift up half an inch or so and pull out of slits on either side (where the bolts were you will see the piece once you lift up the entire dash).

I wouldn't remove the dash unless you want to pull the entire dash harness, I would cut the wires you won't use or need and take only the ones you will use and want. The auto dim mirror harness runs from the connector by the E-brake to behind the firewall felt cover and has 2 clips holding it behind the felt, then up to the base of the A-pillar, to the top of the pillar and to the auto mirror. The SAT wires are a part of this harness that split off at the top of the a-pillar and I recommend just cutting them, it's not very easy to remove them or add them.

The installation is really easy and self explanatory, do not run the auto mirror wires behind the firewall felt like you got them from.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks. I'll do my best to figure it out. I appreciate the help. I've wanted Uconnect and nav since I got my van, so it will be really great to finally have them. I hope anyway.

·
Registered
2009 GCV SE
1,975 Posts
Thanks. I'll do my best to figure it out. I appreciate the help. I've wanted Uconnect and nav since I got my van, so it will be really great to finally have them. I hope anyway.
If I can recommend something, I would suggest selling your RER and finding a 430 RHB radio. The RER does not stream BT music, maps are very outdated, and overall I find them to be really slow. The 430 RHB's are newer, and the RHB in my van is actually quite good even when searching for places. This however means you would need the wiring which has the bt module under the dash (you will also need a 2011+ BT module) and programming to activate the feature. You can PM me if you have more other technical questions

1 - 8 of 8 Posts