The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

MyGig RER and blind spot sensors?

7K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  SergiTC 
#1 ·
My 2010 T&C Limited is having problems that appear to be related to the RER head unit. It started about a year ago, and seemed to be related to the temperature inside the van. When it got hot enough (greater than 95°F, I think), the instrument cluster would light every warning light, it would ding every couple seconds, the front wipers would run constantly, the headlights would flash, and the speedo/odometer would not work. The van would drive just fine, I just couldn't tell how fast I was going. When the cockpit would cool enough, the problem would go away.

Through working with the dealer tech and my own research, we determined that the problem would go away if I pull the M12 fuse, which implies that the problem is the RER head unit. The only difficulty is that when I do this, my blind spot detection system stops working (i.e. warning message in instrument cluster and both mirrors' triangles light up solid)

I'm considering replacing the RER with an aftermarket head unit to get more functionality at a cheaper cost, but am concerned about two things:
1) Is the problem really the radio, or is it the blind spot sensor controller?
2) If the problem is the radio and I replace it with an aftermarket unit, will the blind spot sensor stop working?

See less See more
#3 ·
I don't think the BCM is on the same electrical circuit as the head unit. If it was the BCM, how does disconnecting the head unit eliminate the symptoms? For reference, I've both pulled the M12 fuse and also physically unplugged the head unit, both actions stop the symptoms. The tech also used his diagnostic tools and traced the problem to the segment of the CAN bus that only contains the head unit and the amp.

#5 ·
I'll give it a try, but it's not obvious which fuse to pull based on my manual. The closest I'm finding at this point is M34, labeled as "Park Assist, Heater Climate Control System Module, Headlamp Wash, Compass, IR Sensor, Rear Camera, Lamp Door FT Drv/Pass, Lamp Flashlight, AHLM, Relay Diesel Cabin Heater, Rad Fan Diesel". I'll give that one a try and report back.

#7 ·
Tried M34, no joy. At other times, I've also tried M10 and M11. M10 was interesting... the symptoms didn't go away, but they were interrupted at regular intervals (i.e. every few seconds, the wipers would pause, the beeping would stop, etc. for a couple seconds, then resume). As mentioned above, removing the head unit has the same effect as pulling fuse M12 (i.e. instrument panel returns to normal, wipers stop, headlights stop flashing, but the display shows an error about the blind spot system being offline).

#8 ·
The only thing I can think of with regards to a short would be back at the BSM sensors. We had the bumper replaced three years back (a fire hydrant reached out and tore a hole in one side of the original one), which certainly could have affected the BSMs. I'm at a loss as to why disconnecting the head unit would affect that section of wire, though.

Been toying with reaching out to contacts via work to see if I can find an EE at Chrysler who'd talk to me. Seems like the kind of thing they'd get a kick out of :)

#14 ·
And now I have the answer to my question... I spent the better part of yesterday and today replacing the MyGig with a Pioneer AVIC 8100NEX, using a PAC RP4-CH11 to preserve steering wheel controls and integrate with the factory amp and a CHRYVD to connect the backup camera (still having problems getting the VES integration that the CHRYVD is supposed to include). After all that, the backup sensors and the BMS both work again! :)

#16 ·
Howdy -- I know original post in past years, but I wanted to update for other interested folks.

I can confirm if Mygig navigation head unit removed, I see the same issue "dash alert that blind spot detection is disabled" and triangles in mirrors both solid Yellow.

I had already removed MyGig and replaced with Kenwood DNX xxx and ADS Maestro integration. That works great. No blind spot error.

I was going to replaced entire setup with new Android head unit (with 10in screen) and just purchased the PAC RP4-CH11.

I'm glad to hear the error goes away with this alternative PAC integration product.

-GA

And now I have the answer to my question... I spent the better part of yesterday and today replacing the MyGig with a Pioneer AVIC 8100NEX, using a PAC RP4-CH11 to preserve steering wheel controls and integrate with the factory amp and a CHRYVD to connect the backup camera (still having problems getting the VES integration that the CHRYVD is supposed to include). After all that, the backup sensors and the BMS both work again! :)

#17 ·
Hi, I have issues with MyGIG (RHB on T&C 2014) which I described in another thread. Here I just want to share my observations that despite MyGIG isn't working (no picture, no sound, no radio, no rear view cam) when I disconnect it or pull out the fuse I also got blind spot error with yellow triangles in both mirrors. After connecting MyGIG back blind spot detection works again. I guess that there is something related to CAN BUS which disables blind spot detection when MyGIG is removed.

I wonder what will happen with blind spot detection if MyGIG is replaced with an Android head unit. Do I need additional stuff like PAC RP4-CH11 to get blind spot detection? (Also I guess that in order to get steering wheel controls working with non-MyGIG head unit I need CAN BUS integration anyway.)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.