The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy,
I've got a 2012 and have been having some problems getting it to start. There is no consistent pattern, but I get one of the following options:

1. Cranks and starts, no problem
2. Cranks, but does not start
3. Cranks, starts, but almost immediately dies
4. Cranks, starts, and then peters out like I am out of gas
5. Cranks, starts, starts to die, but then surges and stays on

I have never had any problems once it is running, it is just when starting that I have issues.
Thanks for any suggestions.

·
Registered
2008 Dodge GC SXT, 3.8L 2020 Dodge GC SXT Blacktop 3.6L 328 miles
273 Posts
It sounds like it could be your fuel pump relay malfunctioning. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. This forum has some discussions about this and shows a diagram of how to bypass it temporarily for testing and also there is a kit to replace it with an external relay.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It sounds like it could be your fuel pump relay malfunctioning. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. This forum has some discussions about this and shows a diagram of how to bypass it temporarily for testing and also there is a kit to replace it with an external relay.
That was my first guess, too. I had a bypass handy and tried it. The symptoms continue. I can also hear the fuel pump engage when I have the power on.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I'm having the same issue, 2008 T&C Limited 4.0 109K miles, began about 3 weeks ago. Usually starts fine with the remote start, but usually does not with the key. Seems more likely to fail if the car has just been driven. Tried wiggling the key yesterday after a failed start and it started right up. Remote start failed twice after getting gas at Sam's Club and had to wait 10 minutes before remote start would work again. I will check into the fuel pump suggestion. Love this forum!

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
5,322 Posts
Maybe the actual pump and not the just relay. There are fuel pressure test kits you can hook to the input line on the fuel rail. Symptoms definitely seem fuel related.

Reactions: SSPT&C

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm having the same issue, 2008 T&C Limited 4.0 109K miles, began about 3 weeks ago. Usually starts fine with the remote start, but usually does not with the key. Seems more likely to fail if the car has just been driven. Tried wiggling the key yesterday after a failed start and it started right up. Remote start failed twice after getting gas at Sam's Club and had to wait 10 minutes before remote start would work again. I will check into the fuel pump suggestion. Love this forum!
Look into the WIN module, I've seen posts that had similar problems to yours and that was the culprit.

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
5,322 Posts
That makes sense to me, except that, if it was the fuel pump, wouldn't you expect to see problems while driving?
Usually, but not necessarily. Sometimes failing pumps have issues starting up but run fine afterwards. That's why I suggested testing fuel pressure. You'll either be sure you're getting good pressure, or find it's too low meaning you need a pump.

Another possibility is a dirty throttle body that's getting stuck closed or out of calibration. And one more thing... What's your mileage and how new are your plugs? Interval is 100k and some say to change them sooner.

Reactions: SSPT&C

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Usually, but not necessarily. Sometimes failing pumps have issues starting up but run fine afterwards. That's why I suggested testing fuel pressure. You'll either be sure you're getting good pressure, or find it's too low meaning you need a pump.

Another possibility is a dirty throttle body that's getting stuck closed or out of calibration. And one more thing... What's your mileage and how new are your plugs? Interval is 100k and some say to change them sooner.
The car has 130K on it and, to my knowledge, has not had the spark plugs changed. I think you are right about checking the fuel pressure. If nothing else, it can eliminate a potential culprit.

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
5,322 Posts
Original plugs at 130k could cause starting issues. My gap was something like .057" at 100k, which is considered worn out. New gap is .043". Get some NGK or Champion Iridiums.

Reactions: ggoose

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
5,322 Posts
That can be caused by worn out plugs allowing too much unburnt fuel to get into the exhaust. If the cat is clogged, it could affect starting after running but not likely to cause issues on cold starts.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That can be caused by worn out plugs allowing too much unburnt fuel to get into the exhaust. If the cat is clogged, it could affect starting after running but not likely to cause issues on cold starts.
After reading up on it a little, I haven't seen any loss in MPG, which seems like a usual indicator of a bad catalytic converter. The exhaust does smell a little rich, but your explanation makes more sense to me.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts