The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

Nasty smell / taste inside the Cabin

8K views 16 replies 6 participants last post by  bredabounce 
#1 ·
Hi there,
Lately my ’01 Voyager produces a nasty ‘dry’ smell inside the cabin.
It’s hard to describe it; even in Dutch.
After driving it for about 10 minutes (or longer) my throat soar, my tongue feels like the leather of an old shoe and I’m a little light headed :smile_dea.
I think it is coming from the engine compartment and not from the heater or AC.
It doesn’t matter if the heater of AC is on or not.

The car was brought to the dealer workshop a few weeks ago for a repair on a leaking hose under the dashboard (AC overflow). The dry smell was present at the time but drowned out by the really sickening odor coming from the AC. The cooling system was pressure tested and OK.

I hope someone over here has dealt with this in the past and knows a solution.
Thank you for your reply from overseas.

#7 ·
engine exhaust leak making it's way into the cabin.

-Jim
After replacing the radiator, checking the rear-heaterlines and al the other tubes in and around the engine compartment, an exhaustleak is the only thing I can't rule out.
One (or both) of the manifolds or the collector must be rotten or something.
Is there a 'hilbilly' way to check if there is a leak?

#3 ·
i brought the van to the dealer today;
the AC system wasn't leaking, and no other parts like the heater core seem to be broken...

The dealer suggested to replace the cabinfilter and clean/refresh the AC system.
I hope this is the solution for the problem. The refreshed AC now smells like sweet apples (the fruit :))

@jim; thanks for the reply.

#4 ·
They story continues; The problem is still present..., even after the quite expensive visit to the dealership. :confused:

- I can rule out the AC overflow (fixed)
- as wel as mold in the AC (cleaned)
- The dealer says they have checked the exhaust system as well as the coolant system.

thus... What's left...
Does anyone have any idea (whatsoever; even if it seems ridicules of farfetched...)

#5 ·
...update...
today steam was coming out of the enginecompartment. It seems like the radiator is leaking coolant near the right coolingfan.
The radiator was replaced with a brandnew one in august 2011...
I hope the nasty smell is/was coming from the leaking radiator (if I habe the source of the problem, the problem is half fixed).
Now I need to make sure if it is really the radiator or something else. I still have warranty on the radiator
Is it difficult to replace a radiator on a 3.3?

#6 ·
Replacing the radiator is not too bad. Just takes time.

As for the smell, if the new rad doesn't fix it, time to pull the wiper tray and make sure there isn't anything foul in there by the fresh air intake.

#8 ·
Burning coolant does make a most objectionable, nearly acrid odor.
Theoretically that can happen if steam escaping from a hole in the rad or hose touches an exhaust manifold.

#9 · (Edited)
Getting "light headed" leans me towards an exhaust leak and carbon monoxide poisoning. Get the exhaust looked at asap. In the mean time buy a CO detector for $10 from a pilot shop. Sporty's for one. Pilots often use them to detect CO in cockpits. It will keep you and the citizens of Holland safe while this is going on.

A/C evaporators sometime get so much mold buildup they have to be replaced.

Hold your gloved hand over the exhaust tailpipe with the engine running. Any leak up front will start getting noisy as the back pressure builds.

#11 ·
the front manifold seems OK. I can't check the rear one on my drive way so I made an appointment for this week at the garage...
I hope this will end the car troubles for a while... last friday the (normaly very reliable) Suzuki of my wife broke down with a broken clutch and broken accesoiry-belt... :(

#13 ·
No broken manifolds, no leaking gaskets... according to the dealer everything works properly.

The do suggest to toroughly clean the carpet in front, passengersside... there is some residu from the [now fixed] leaking AC overflow.
That will be the next thing to do...
Also the windscreen needs to be replaced... a little stone or object caused it to break...
thanks for all the advise; I will post the results.

#14 ·
"Felling a little light headed" First thing that comes to my mind is a propane leak, has anyone even thought to check the system for leaks?
specialty propane shops have the test equipment for detecting leaks, get it checked just to be safe.
I had a 1989 Plymouth Voyager with dual fuel LPG. been there, done that.

#16 ·
The LPG system works properly, no leaks. The LPG has a specific scent added (sulphur) and the mileage is 'normal'.
I hope its just a mold/clean problem... but didn't have the time to clean the van.
Will keep you posted after "operation carpet cleaning" :)

#17 ·
The carpet is cleaned...
and the sickening odor is less present...

But some of it is stil there, and it is coming from the outside.
I suspect something 'waterisch' is leaking (AC? Coolant?) on mij exhaustsystem.

It will be checked on tuesday (10th), along with the yearly obliged dutch vehilclecheck.

But first i need a damagerepair quote... Got rearended in a traffic jam (a damaged rear bumper 'click here' for image :angry1:)
And the cracked windshield is due to be replaced on monday the 9th.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.