The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2006 T&C-3.8L - I am looking for a part number for the two, short, pre-formed flexible hoses that are connected to the Power Steering finned cooler. Every parts diagram I see online lists the cooler for about $59 and shows the hoses attached with no part number (I'm not sure the hoses come with the cooler--I would probably have to call the dealer). They are low pressure hoses connected with spring clamps. I considered buying two short lengths of hose at Auto Zone however the bend is pretty tight and would probably kink, thus the pre-formed hoses from Chrysler. Any help is appreciated

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
I replace ours from the dealer about every 5 yrs/100K miles. (Sorry don't have the part number) They cost $37 and are OEM. I haven't been able to find anyone else that sales these hoses.

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
9,738 Posts
Remove both hoses, take them to O'Reilly or Napa and ask them to allow you to look at their inventory for the closest fit.

They should allow you (done that a couple of times). Once you find the correct part, came back and post part numbers for others to see.

Good luck.

·
Super Moderator
21,985 Posts

·
3rd Gen Plebeian
408 Posts
Remove both hoses, take them to O'Reilly or Napa and ask them to allow you to look at their inventory for the closest fit.

They should allow you (done that a couple of times). Once you find the correct part, came back and post part numbers for others to see.

Good luck.
This. Had a '64 chevy with a '74 sbc and a summit radiator, everytime I needed a radiator hose I'd just go browse through Autozone's inventory to find the near perfect preformed hose.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Good luck.
Come to think of it, I have done that before with the special elbows to the rear heater core. It's worth a try....thanks. (And I will post what I find!)

·
Registered
21 Posts
I wish this post had been here a year and a half ago for my 01 voyager. Only the rubber hoses that connect to the cooler were were bad. I could not find them. I figured (incorrectly) that fuel line hose would work. After a year, the fuel line hose was dissolved by the PS fluid. I lost a PS pump and a steering rack in the dead of winter, so I had to pay someone to fix it.

I now see that you must buy the metal hose and short rubber hose as a set. One set from the rack to the cooler, and the other set cooler to reservoir. Total cost ~$35. I don't want to talk about what the pump / rack repair cost.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I wish this post had been here a year and a half ago for my 01 voyager. Only the rubber hoses that connect to the cooler were were bad. I could not find them. I figured (incorrectly) that fuel line hose would work. After a year, the fuel line hose was dissolved by the PS fluid. I lost a PS pump and a steering rack in the dead of winter, so I had to pay someone to fix it.

I now see that you must buy the metal hose and short rubber hose as a set. One set from the rack to the cooler, and the other set cooler to reservoir. Total cost ~$35. I don't want to talk about what the pump / rack repair cost.
I would have thought that fuel line hose would tolerate PS fluid???

·
Registered
21 Posts
I would have thought that fuel line hose would tolerate PS fluid???
I would have thought fuel hose would work as well.

My 2001 voyager was assembled in May of 2001 in Saint Louis. This was the around the time that Chrysler switched from using special Chrysler PS fluid, and started using ATF-4. So if the van had been assembled before a certain date in that May, then old fluid was used. On a particular Monday, the factory started using ATF-4. Either fluid will work the same, but there are dire warnings not to mix the two fluids.

When I replaced the leaking hoses in the spring of 2018 with Fuel line, I am pretty sure I bought PS fluid that said "for Chrysler" to top it off. I now believe that my van was one of the first to use ATF-4. That resulted in a mixture of the two types of fluid, which apparently is bad, and may have seriously weakened the hoses. When they started to leak again in January of 2019, I kept topping it off with ATF-4, because I had it. The leak got worse, but it was too cold and wet to work in the driveway. The PS pump croaked before I got a warm day to fix it.

Since just about all the components in the PS system got replaced in February, 2019 I now have ATF-4.

·
Super Moderator
21,985 Posts
When I replaced the leaking hoses in the spring of 2018 with Fuel line, I am pretty sure I bought PS fluid that said "for Chrysler" to top it off. I now believe that my van was one of the first to use ATF-4. That resulted in a mixture of the two types of fluid, which apparently is bad, and may have seriously weakened the hoses. When they started to leak again in January of 2019, I kept topping it off with ATF-4, because I had it. The leak got worse, but it was too cold and wet to work in the driveway. The PS pump croaked before I got a warm day to fix it.

Since just about all the components in the PS system got replaced in February, 2019 I now have ATF-4.
Who says so? Shops and Owners are putting in the wrong fluid frequently. I think there was another problem with your hoses or the fluid wasn't power steering fluid.

·
Registered
911 Posts
I should have been paying better attention when I installed an ATF cooler on my Honda this summer - it came with a length of hose of a type that would be highly suitable for this application, but all the hose I used is now (in typical Honda fashion) behind plastic panels fastened with plastic push-fasteners, so I'm not going in there to read the print.

Anyways, you might think about looking for hose that's compatible with aftermarket ATF cooler installations.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts