The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my 2009 Grand Caravan SXT (3.8L) a year and a half ago and it's been a pretty good daily driver. Right now I've got it in my driveway, but I can't get the key to turn off so that I can take it out. The shifter also won't lock into PARK; I can pull it up and down into all the ranges without pressing the release button. I did get the shifter to lock in PARK one time, but the key still wouldn't turn all the way into "OFF"; it's staying in ACC.

I had the ignition switch replaced under factory recall shortly after I purchased the van last year. No problems since then. I need to drive to work tomorrow; can anyone share some advice?

·
Registered
200 Posts
Mine used to stick like that. I wire brushed the rod that pops out of the tranny that the gear selector cable attatches to. Then I used an eye dropper to coat that rod liberally in atf.

Took 3-4 applications but hasnt stuck in a while now.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Now it's not even moving through the transmission ranges. I'm afraid the shifter cable broke.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Now it's not even moving through the transmission ranges. I'm afraid the shifter cable broke.
Okay, it looks like I lost the bushing where the cable attaches to the transmission. Now I just need to find one.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I replaced the bushing and now I can shift transmission ranges, but I still have the original problem. It appears to be an interlock issue. I have a rather cumbersome workaround; if I pop the hood and disconnect the negative battery terminal for a few seconds I can turn the key to 'off' and remove it. That's obviously not a good long-term solution. Any suggestions?

·
Administrator
2009 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT (3.8); 2003 Dodge Grand Caravan eL (3.8)
2,477 Posts
There is a fuse you can pull that will allow you to remove the key, see my post (#2) in this thread: FOB Stuck in Ignition Switch
There is also a link in that post to a potential fix.

·
Registered
538 RWHP, LS motor, RX7 body
584 Posts
I recently had this when the battery was dead. Fob would go in, but then was stuck, until the car was jumped started.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So, if I need to replace the shifter...new OEM, new aftermarket (if it exists), or used part?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well...I feel stupid.
I ordered a new Mopar $200 shifter. It arrived yesterday and I was going to open up the dash and put it in today. But when I went to take the shifter knob off, I noticed that the actuator rod was all the way in. I wiggled it a bit, sprayed some penetrating oil...and it popped back out and (when the knob was reinstalled) the shifter started working again as it's supposed. to. Duhhhh....

I never even opened the box which the new shifter came in. Maybe they'll take it back...?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts