The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1994 T&C / 1980k and old...I know....but have done many things to this van to keep it running a little longer. Now battery turned out to be 6 yrs old..so replaced.. alternator was removed and tested under load.......checked out good.....

wife 1500 miles away in it and just put the new battery in 3 days ago and started home....got 30 miles, called 911 ..Trooper jump starts it, it runs beautiful....she goes down the road a mile and the car chugs down again...like battery dead....

is this a bad ground? She will be probably letting some wrecking place just have it tomorrow because she can't get a straight answer where she is. HELP

Much appreciated.

·
Premium Member
10,109 Posts
It could be a multitude of things. How does the engine behave when it dies, does it run rough then stall, or act like you just turned the key off and quietly shut down? Also how does the electrical stuff int eh car act, does it stay on or shut down as well?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Andyg

It starts cutting out and then goes dead rather quick. However, it is now a mute point as this morning my wife sold the car to a junk dealer in AZ but I would like to make a point: September we drove to CA and the car made a terrible noise, I thought the alternator bearings. Removed and had tested, not the alt. Found noise to be from under car near flywheel and called aamco, drove it over. They said the transmission had gone out, wanted 1700 to fix. Did not. Borrowed vehicle form friend, took wife to AZ where she used the friends' truck for a month. I went down and was going to replace starter in van, thinking the gear was grinding on the flywheel - but had been sold wrong one...got mad, tried to start car..bat dead..charged up and drove 850 miles ( no trans problem ) left van in AZ for wife....she had charging, dead bat issues...was about to drive to Las Vegas..bought new battery...started out and made it 30 miles and it died on FWY. Trooper jump started her, she proceeded, it broke down again in mid of fwy....got towed to a shop...guy looks at small trans oil leak and says " there's your problem...you need a new transmission!" She called junk man, sold for $100...end of story. I called several mechanics here in the NW and they said, based on info given, it was a bad ground problem... I am still curious, even thought he car is gone, just in case something like this ever happens again. But beware of these mechanic shops along the highway . There's no ethics anymore.Thanks

·
Premium Member
10,109 Posts
They see you are out of state, and basically out of options, and they go nuts.

A ground problem could for sure cause that type of problem. Without a means to diagnose now as the van is gone, we could make many guesses as to the problem. Could have been a sensor, bad actual wire from the battery, ect..

·
Registered
233 Posts
Oh no!!!! That was a heck of a van, Mine had similar problems it would run awesome then die and need jumped, then everything electrical died but it kept running but soon would die, maybe 5 mins running after that, turned out to be the alternator. If you were closer I wouldve greatly given you $100 for it, I also have a 94 T&C! :D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts