The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

New exhaust noise.

4K views 25 replies 5 participants last post by  LEVY 
#1 ·
This afternoon I noticed a slight elhaust leak as we were packing up to come home from out of town when I started the van. It's an 07 tc with the 3.8. As we got on the highway it got a little louder. When we got home I popped the hood and it sounds like it's coming from behind the engine. Is there a common point of failure that these leaks start at on these vans? It's driving me nuts and I hate exhaust leaks. Perhaps a flange gasket? Are these owner serviceable without too much trouble? When the vans is idling I don't hear the noise right up at the engine so I don't think it's a manifold gasket. Thanks for any and all help or advice.

#2 ·
While the weather is still warm, best to roll the van up on good sturdy vehicle ramps, lock the ebrake, chuck the rear tires, and put under the van jack stands. Then wearing clear safety glasses slide under and look around while the van has been off for while. Don't go under a hot van that was just on a drive.

Look for the obvious; rusty-crusty parts, dark holes in the sides of the pipes, wiggle the pipe(s) near the manifold IF the exhaust gasket failed. Even a bolt head or nut broke off there. Check out the CAT too.

Reactions: Jever10
#4 · (Edited)
Flex section on Catalytic converter where it bolts to the exhaust header is a common point of failure. Flex section typically fractures where the flex welds to the flange that bolts to the header. Can be hard to see due to the metal "cups/collar" at each end of the flex... flex basically goes up into them and the point of fracture is hidden. Usually also causes an intermittent rattle sound similar to a heat shield vibration/rattle prior to complete failure.

One of the posts (post # 17) in the thread below shows a photo of the failure:

#5 ·
I had just got my ac compressor fixed (no relation to your problem) .pulled out of the mechanic's driveway and. Bluuuummmm. It sounded like open headers. Turned right around and he took one look and said. Yep it's the flex pipe (that's the part that you need) drove its 3 miles to the exhaust shop (no check engine light I couldn't believe that the down stream o2 didn't completely freak out) the guy had it in stock. 2 hours later fixed. Oh I almost forgot I had a little leak and weird sound under load just before she blew. 100% shure this is the problem

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

#6 ·
Finally got up under it and the exhaust system is clean as a pin. The noise is coming from up near the engine somewhere. If I'm standing above the engine it sounds like it's coming from the right rear of the engine. Near where the cross pipe and manifold meet up but I cannot for the life of me feel a leak anywhere when it's running. How big of a nightmare is it to replace the rear exhaust manifold gasket? And if it's not that, how could I tell if it's that flex pipe? I can't find a walk through anywhere for either of these. Thabks for the replys guys I appreciate your time.

#18 ·
The only universal flex insert that they had was too long to fit, the guy tried. i looked at it as well and It wouldnt work. Im happy with the deal. I dont have to worry about my wife having the exhaust break while shes going down the road. And the van is quiet as a church mouse now. Sometimes im ok with admitting that I cant do some jobs. So no, i dont think i got ripped off. Cheers!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.