The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
05 3.8 , Van was very quiet for 500 miles with new gates belt kit (belt, idle pulley, tensioner parentheses. Initially Needed to Install my rebuilt OEM alternator with a new littons decoupler, and a brand new Mopar harmonic balance or slash me and poly, the old one was warped. so i thought it was a good idea to install the new belt kit (above)tensioner. By the way the Mopar harmonic /balancer main pulley that I got was the sixth to the last one available in the entire USA, they no longer make them!

I Ran the same gates belt before on an otherwise complete stock system and it worked well for about 30 to 40,000 miles. No after changing all this, the Belt system does NOT like the new idle pully and newer style tensioner, Those are the only two different brand of parts versus before.

This gates kit has a supposedly better tensioner. It’s a longer teeter totter shape with an additional end to fit a breaker bar. Bigger wheel too, It almost hits the harmonic balancer . The idle pully is 1/8” to far outboard so the belt is riding free for that narrow amount, insboard side. Googling revthers had this issue too, there were photos on amazon showing the misalignment just like I’m experiencing. But this kit was was quiet till the belt wore in.

Ajax on the belt quiets it for 30 miles.

1)going to change back to stock idle pully first.

2)Then flip belt around opposite direction.

3) still chips? Then stock new Dayco tensioner,( yes OEM says Dayco on the back) Since it worked before.
Old gates belt was fine and was the same gates microfiber as before.

I read the Dayco belt is better for misalignments though.
what a let down lol. The stock system was NOT misaligned, the complete gates kit IS!!!

I keep a very clean engine there is no oily lubricants of any type on the belt nor is there on the pulleys that I can see.

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
Interesting read...
Yes, please keep us up to date about flipping your belt to run the other way and/or replacing the tensioner, etc.
Your report is a great asset to those of us who want the very best maintenance components installed by the very best mechanics in the world.

Beeping off with the Backyardigans...

A Gates representative came into the shop just the other day and gave us a cardboard display (think Cracker Barrel's three sided desert display on table : ) BUT the basis was a Protect The Ride 2022 rebate promotion that paid $25, $50, or $75 rebate to customers who had Gates products installed on their vehicles from new serpentine belt, to the deluxe tensioner, belt idler pulleys and water pump kit (that rebated the full Monty of $75) Also Gates radiator hoses had a rebate as well as Gates timing belts, components, etc... Shop invoice had to have the details especially the Gates part numbers.

Attachments

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I tried something else first without taking things apart. When the engine is shut off the belt is not hanging over the edge of the idler pulley. It only all hangs over the edge when the engine is running. It’s funny Gates makes a big deal about belt noise is from improper pulley alignments they even have a YouTube video about that. You shouldn’t need to align pulleys with different homemade shims and washers if the parts are made correctly in the first place! What a bunch of BS.

The idle pulley new is super smooth with a blackish brown coating on it. The belts backside rides on this, and the belt has stupid printing on it in different places. But the whole reason it’s aligned improperly is probably because of the tensioner.

So I deglazed the gates pully, turn on the engine on and off about eight times to make sure all areas were covered by lightly sanding with 120 Emery cloth, sanded with engine off! Then turned it back on and it was quiet. To top it off I added some delmacious earth To a little bit of the pulleys I could reach and rubbed it in on the under side of the belt. That made it super quiet as they’re ripped around the block.That stuff is a super fine powder made of ground up seashells which is for sprinkling on the ground to kill ants when their Xoskeletons rub against it.

I’ll see how long this lasts

You can find on Google people mentioning lightly touching a file against the rotating belt edges with the engine on! I thought about this looked at it there’s not nearly enough room to be safe doing that. I don’t wanna be killed by a file stuck in my chest, At least not over a Mopar van.

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
There is also food grade Diatomaceous Earth and some folks drink it in water to address parasites.

I first learned of DE from pool filters. Even today with the cartridge type filters it is advised by Pentair (even the Pentair employees at customer service didn't know about it) to pour a quantity in the strainer after installing a new filter to 'condition' it.

Never heard of using it for belt dressing though.

Let us know how it all turns out...
Cheers!

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
One piece crank pulley the outer metal ring is rubber mounted onto its center hub,... but it does not come apart. And I checked with it running with a flashlight a few times, it’s still running straight versus the old wobbly original.

If the outer ring did slip from the inner hub it would self-destruct not just slip.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Two trips and 15miles with the diatomaceous earth and 120 grit cross hatched idle pulley. Quiet at all rpm’s so far. With or without AC on.

This shows the chirping noise is from the backside (top in this position) of the belt under the idle pulley. Looks like cause is the new offset gates idle pulley or the new gates updated tensioner since the belt runs thru that before going under the idle pulley.

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
Dude, did you describe a chirp like a momentary chirp like when an A/C compressor clutch engages or a continuous chirping or squeaking like when a baby duck is lost from it's mama?

Back in the 350 / 4bolt days, we'd called that a harmonic balancer and yes, it is a heavy mass outer pulley mounted on a inner hub and it is dynamically isolated by pressed rubber to subdue the harmonics. Kinda like a flywheel and I suppose it is in a sense of a balancing rotational mass but not really a flywheel in nomenclature terms.

They may slip and especially if exposed to petroleum degradation that softens the rubber isolator. I can imagine that happening shortly before it comes apart in a swirling mass of fatigued metal.

Marvin is spot on in putting a mark. I mean what does it take but a second and a Sharpie or scratch awl.

Regardless, please let us know how it turns out in the long term. I sense that you addressed the symptom in a successful manner. I will certainly be interested in knowing how it all endures in the years, months, weeks that follow.
And if you dust it with DE again, use some belt dressing, a bar of Ivory soap, etc... please post that as well (just to keep your discoveries and teachings accurate) for the next guy
Thank you dudeinthevan

1 - 9 of 9 Posts