The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, Everyone!
I'm new to this forum, and my van is getting old in the automotive world. I am 23 years old, and live in Phoenix, Arizona. My van is a 1994 Plymouth Grand Voyager LE with 3.3L Engine, Front wheel drive, Key-less entry, and pretty much all the bells and whistles it could have had, as far as I know. Except the wood. My Grandfather loved these vans, and had one of the first ones in 1984. He bought this one for $3,500 cash in 2003 after driving by the dealership, seeing it parked on their lawn, and deciding that he HAD to have it. Back then it had under 100,000 miles on it, and today it has almost 200,000 (Actually 197,7xx right now). But as much as he loved it, he didn't maintain it well. He basically drove it until it was about to fall apart. I'm not really sure why he did that to it but he did, and because of this, it is now my 'restoration' project, I guess you could call it. He willed it to me, and I promised him before he passed away last spring that I would take care of it for him. My ultimate goal with this thing is to get it back to pristine (or at least rust free and mechanically sound) condition so that I can take it on a road trip from where I live to Colorado Springs. There, we will spread my Grandfather's ashes, along with my Grandmother's ashes. My Grandparents loved it up there, and wanted to spend the last portion of their lives there. However, for many and varied reasons, they couldn't. So it will be their final resting place. I am about 1/10th (maybe less, maybe more - I really don't know) through the process. I have purchased almost all of the shop manuals for the 1994 Chrysler vans from eBay to help me as I go along, since although I've worked on cars with my Dad since I was a little kid, I've never tackled a project of this scope before. I got it running for the first time in a few months on Christmas day last month, and now it's stable enough that I use it as my daily driver. Though there's still a LONG way to go before I would trust it through those mountains. I'm currently working three different part-time jobs right now, so I will probably post infrequently. I look forward to meeting you guys, learning from you, and chatting with you. Pictures (and questions) will be coming soon. Thanks!

·
20 year old enthusiast
10,108 Posts
Welcome!

Good luck with the restoration project!

·
Woody Status
512 Posts
I say full resto and a 2.5 TII swap. Add wood grain for extra street cred.

·
the Mopar guy
1,172 Posts
Doesnt look too bad!! Pretty good actually. Just some paint on the hood and roof, and a few touch ups (if the paint on other side is as decent as the driver's side, just buff it to a good shine...then it. A back-yard repaint is never as good as even original paint, even if it's got some age to it).

·
Woody Status
512 Posts
Looks like a clean, solid van. Defiantly worth putting some money into if there is a set of solid rocker panels hiding beneath that cladding.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quick question: Here's where I admit I have very little knowledge about vehicle bodies. What and where are these rocker panels of which you speak?

·
Woody Status
512 Posts
These are the rockers. Basically the area under the doors.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have seen them rusted out on many vehicles. I just never knew what they were called. Thanks, guys! Just checked, and mine have zero rust on them right now. However, there is a lot of surface rust happening on the roof from sitting out in the rain. The paint only started peeling off in the last two years or so. Now I can't wash it without getting snowed on, so to speak.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts