The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone.

I am the new owner of a 2014 T&C Limited with about 60k miles on it. My grandpa previously owned it before unfortunately becoming a statistic of the pandemic. Seems to work fairly well but I have noticed a few things that maybe others have had fun dealing with.

1. Both reverse lights do not work. Tried new bulbs. I can hear the relay click when I put it into gear. Thinking a wiring issue somewhere between the TIPM and the lights? Forgot to add that I read a couple posts that mentioned pulling the IOD fuse would cause the BCM to reset but only on previous generations.
2. I've seen a couple people mention the issue of a "bump" when shifting into Drive. Seems to mostly happen if the engine has not had a chance to warm up much. One fix was a TCM flash. Curious if that worked for others or if you went a different route?
3. Related to that, there are times where it seems like it takes a long time to shift from 3rd to 4th, and then immediately from 4th-5th.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
Can't help with reverse lights. Trans behaves much better if "economy mode" is off.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Does the van have a trailer hitch?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Yo, Swenny, sorry to hear about your grandpa. Condolences extended.

I don't own one of these vehicles but know someone who just got one and I'm an economically oriented hobbyist.
Get the correct transmission fluid and try a drain & fill. Simple, easy and likely to realize immediate benefits.

Consider further action if your fluid drains out really dirty or smells burnt.

Have you given "Gramp's van" a once over? Check the battery, charging system and cleanliness of connections with Winter upon us.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Can't help with reverse lights. Trans behaves much better if "economy mode" is off.
Econ is off. Used it once for a road trip of all freeway but that's it.

Does the van have a trailer hitch?
It does not although I am planning on installing one eventually along with a wiring harness.

Yo, Swenny, sorry to hear about your grandpa. Condolences extended.

I don't own one of these vehicles but know someone who just got one and I'm an economically oriented hobbyist.
Get the correct transmission fluid and try a drain & fill. Simple, easy and likely to realize immediate benefits.

Consider further action if your fluid drains out really dirty or smells burnt.

Have you given "Gramp's van" a once over? Check the battery, charging system and cleanliness of connections with Winter upon us.
Isn't the ATF sealed on this car? There's no dipstick or anything.

The once over is something I want to get done but having trouble finding a good shop.

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
2,062 Posts
Isn't the ATF sealed on this car? There's no dipstick or anything.

The once over is something I want to get done but having trouble finding a good shop.
Nope. You'll find a capped off dipstick tube, but it's there. There's a fluid temperature and fill level chart floating around that you need to follow when doing it. Any generic mm gauged dipstick will work.

I had a bit of harsh shifting at 67k. After a fluid and filter change, it was shifting like new.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey everyone.

I am the new owner of a 2014 T&C Limited with about 60k miles on it. My grandpa previously owned it before unfortunately becoming a statistic of the pandemic. Seems to work fairly well but I have noticed a few things that maybe others have had fun dealing with.

1. Both reverse lights do not work. Tried new bulbs. I can hear the relay click when I put it into gear. Thinking a wiring issue somewhere between the TIPM and the lights? Forgot to add that I read a couple posts that mentioned pulling the IOD fuse would cause the BCM to reset but only on previous generations.
2. I've seen a couple people mention the issue of a "bump" when shifting into Drive. Seems to mostly happen if the engine has not had a chance to warm up much. One fix was a TCM flash. Curious if that worked for others or if you went a different route?
3. Related to that, there are times where it seems like it takes a long time to shift from 3rd to 4th, and then immediately from 4th-5th.

Thanks!
I had the same bump when putting my 2015 Touring into drive. It was harsh and very unsettling. Took to the dealer, software update/Flash and good as new!

·
Registered
754 Posts
Transmission:
Yes, a software update fixed that on my 2015. That was several years ago. Maybe it didn't get the update yet.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Try doing a 'trans adaption reset"

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Kenbeneezer, Dead link... Do you have a working link? Thanks.

EDIT: Disregard. I was a connection issue on my end.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Had some free time during this last weekend to look at my reverse lights issue. After checking everything at the back I took out the battery, lifted up the TIPM, and unhooked the harness. Found the wire, decided to pull a little bit on it, then pulled some more. That might be a problem.

20210403_110733.jpg

So after repairing it I got super excited, went to test it, still didn't work. After checking everything for about 10 minutes neighbor came over and told me to check the fuse. It was blown. Replaced, tried again, he said they came on briefly and then the fuse blew again. Checked the wiring at the back and now I have a short to ground somewhere. So now I need to check the wiring again from the back to the front with the harness disconnected.

If the short goes away then it's either something with the harness itself or the TIPM I'm assuming?
If the short stays, then I assume it is the wires somewhere. Anyone have any easy places to check for potentially cracked reverse light/stop light/turn signal wires?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Dug into it some more last night. Good news, I guess, is that it is the wire after de-pinning it from the harness and still getting the short. Tore apart the back end and it seems to be all painted metal in the back so nowhere for it to short out to that I can see. Starting to wonder about the butt connector also if that may be the cause.

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
2,062 Posts
A signal tracer could be useful if it's chaffed a shorted to another wire. You'd set it to trace the wire with the short and when it branches off in a wrong direction, there's the wire it's shorted to. Trace back to where they intersect. Detecting a short to the body wouldn't work with that.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts