The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a scanner so I know the code is related to coolant temp and usually points to a Thermostat... but I'm new to Chrysler vehicles (other than a 2000 XJ Cherokee, I've owned nothing but GM) and just wanted to get some feedback before I guess.

Bought the van last Saturday. It was 70 degrees outside. It's been over 50 until today, when it dropped to 30's (thanks, Michigan). Back and forth to work today, no problems. Drove about 20 minutes round trip to take son to babysitter, no issue. Left the house this evening and about 5 minutes down the road, the P0128 popped.

I did feel like maybe it wasn't heating up quite fast enough on the way to work this morning, so I'm feeling pretty good about my T-stat prognosis, but I wanted to check with you all as to the commonality of thermostat problems with the 3.6 engine. I haven't had a thermostat fail on any modern vehicle I've owned so I'm just wondering, is it likely that the thermostat is bad or do I need up increase my concern level?

Also, are aftermarket t-stat housings OK or do I need to go genuine MOPAR?

Thanks all! I'll be here quite a bit, I'm sure.

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
11,948 Posts

First, remove the radiator cap and make sure you have the right amount of coolant (check radiator itself, not the recovery bottle).

Thermostat failure is not something that occurs very often.

Your vehicle may not even have a thermostat. If coolant level is ok, then proceed to replace/install a new thermostat.

·
Super Moderator
24,194 Posts
1. Welcome to the Forum.

2. Listen to LEVY (most times) :)

Low coolant level in radiator (below the level of the heater pipes at the firewall) = low/no heat. Driving up hill may bring heat back for a bit. Top up radiator and check for leak.

If no topping up required, check to see if fans are on all the time and/or if top hose is not hot. What is your temperature gauge showing?
Judgement call = new thermostat if coolant temperature is low and fans are not on. Air conditioning or bad relay may be causing the fans to come on. Give us more information.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I went ahead and swapped the thermostat. Definitely was the problem.

Before, engine temp gauge would stop at 1/4. I’m not that familiar with Chryslers so I don’t know what the 1/4 mark on the gauge represents.

Finally had time to work on it, so I hooked up my scan tool and found that the engine was only getting to about 160F. That pretty much confirmed it for me.

So, I got a t-stat, the Mopar coolant from a dealership (by the way, are there any aftermarket coolants that are compatible? AutoZone dude said no, I don’t believe him).

Did the job, bled the cooling system, warmed her up, went for a drive. Stays between 190 and 200 while moving, reached 220 parked while revving engine to 1,000 RPM, then dropped back down to under 200 when the fan kicked in.

So my new question is - is 190-200 normal operating temp? Is 220 the normal trigger for the fans?

·
Registered
12 Posts
I went ahead and swapped the thermostat. Definitely was the problem.

Before, engine temp gauge would stop at 1/4. I’m not that familiar with Chryslers so I don’t know what the 1/4 mark on the gauge represents.

Finally had time to work on it, so I hooked up my scan tool and found that the engine was only getting to about 160F. That pretty much confirmed it for me.

So, I got a t-stat, the Mopar coolant from a dealership (by the way, are there any aftermarket coolants that are compatible? AutoZone dude said no, I don’t believe him).

Did the job, bled the cooling system, warmed her up, went for a drive. Stays between 190 and 200 while moving, reached 220 parked while revving engine to 1,000 RPM, then dropped back down to under 200 when the fan kicked in.

So my new question is - is 190-200 normal operating temp? Is 220 the normal trigger for the fans?
I did same and yes now Temp gauge stays almost at middle before it was little lower, only pita is to remove the clamp

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts