The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, heres my problem. Drove this van home the other day, its been sitting in a garage for a little over a year. At first it did ok, but now after driving it home and cleaning it up, I try to back it up the drive and it wont go into reverse. It feels like its trying, almost like linkage is loose. It seems to start going into reverse, then kicks back into neutral. Any ideas? Oh, this is a 92 caravan with 3.3 and 4 speed auto.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ummmmm,. Ok, I drove it home?????????? I did some research. If its what I think ive found, then unlike a lot on the Internet forums, I will tell the resu6. Its amazing at the losers who ask for help and never respond to their results.

·
Woody Status
512 Posts
Well it is a 22 year old 41TE, and its been sitting.

Start by checking the solenoid pack, maybe the reverse solenoid is sticky.

When you put it in L does it do anything?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thats what I figure it is, the reverse solenoid pack. I hope. Lol

Well it is a 22 year old 41TE, and its been sitting.

Start by checking the solenoid pack, maybe the reverse solenoid is sticky.

When you put it in L does it do anything?

·
Woody Status
512 Posts
Have somebody put it in reverse and start tapping on the solenoid back with a screwdriver or something.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Replaced solenoid pack and thought it was fixed. Reverse worked but not perfectly. So decided to take a test drive around
the block and when it went to shift it bout through me into the windshield and downshifted. Then no reverse again. Put it in low and drove up to turn around and as long as I stayed in low it did ok. But still no reverse again. So thought about fluid change and filter, but question is would that let it go forward but not reverse if it needs changed?

·
Registered
25 Posts
unlike a lot on the Internet forums, I will tell the resu6. Its amazing at the losers who ask for help and never respond to their results.
Hi Karavan, Did you ever find out what the problem was?
I have the same van. 1993 Silver Woodie. It is MY opinion that these can possibly be the best vans
before they started 'de-contenting' them. If I can just get my trans straightened out.:angry:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No, im still working on it in my spare time. My check engine light doesnt come on, so I dont know
if I should still hook up to the computer and see if its throwing any codes. I may send my TCM off and
have it programmed or checked out to see if it got burned up like the ECM did.

Hi Karavan, Did you ever find out what the problem was?
I have the same van. 1993 Silver Woodie. It is MY opinion that these can possibly be the best vans
before they started 'de-contenting' them. If I can just get my trans straightened out.:angry:

·
Registered
25 Posts
No, im still working on it in my spare time. My check engine light doesnt come on, so I dont know
if I should still hook up to the computer and see if its throwing any codes. I may send my TCM off and
have it programmed or checked out to see if it got burned up like the ECM did.
As Stinovlas's has mentioned we can learn nothing from the check eng light and we are 3yrs behind the OBD2. From what I have picked up so far we should ALWAYS have
at least reverse and 2nd gear or else we are looking at serious faults. So just to be clear and someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but even if we unplugged all comp boxes
we would still have reverse and second.
Good luck with your Woody.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
When I unplug both, I get nothing. When I just unplug one or the other, nothing. When both are plugged
in I get forward but no reverse. Im going to send my tcm and have it checked out.

·
Registered
1 Posts
When I unplug both, I get nothing. When I just unplug one or the other, nothing. When both are plugged
in I get forward but no reverse. Im going to send my tcm and have it checked out.
Did you ever figure out what the problem was ... I have the same issue no reverse

·
Registered
92 Posts
Let me just say this to all suggesting electronic issues:
Reverse is a "mechanical" gear on these transmissions. You can completely unplug the trans and it will go into Park, Reverse, and 2nd gear. These gears will always work, assuming the trans is good.

If you lose reverse, chances are you have a major mechanical issue.

The only thing to "try" to fix it is to change the fluid/filter using quality ATF+4 and a quality filter. If you had fluid/filter done recently, ensure they used the correct fluid, anything but ATF+4 will destroy your trans and cause it to function improperly until it destroys itself.

Proper service of these transmissions is key to them working properly. I change fluid/filter every 15-30k miles depending on how I'm driving. I beat them hard and I've never had a trans fail under 200k miles, most making 250-300k without issue. The only people I ever hear with trans issues are those who think they can go 60-100k miles without changing fluid.

You change your 5 qts of engine oil every 3-5k miles, what makes you think you can go 60-100k miles on 4 qts of transmission fluid?

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
9,605 Posts
Proper service of these transmissions is key to them working properly. I change fluid/filter every 15-30k miles depending on how I'm driving. I beat them hard and I've never had a trans fail under 200k miles, most making 250-300k without issue. The only people I ever hear with trans issues are those who think they can go 60-100k miles without changing fluid.

You change your 5 qts of engine oil every 3-5k miles, what makes you think you can go 60-100k miles on 4 qts of transmission fluid?
  • You are 100% incorrect. You are just wasting your money and contaminating the planet.
People who knows me, also know I never, ever change ATF. (Is not an advise, it is just my way).

Most of my vehicles are over 500,000 miles, never, ever had a transmission problem (other than due to an accident).

So I can safely say you are 100% incorrect.

My opinion is, most transmission problems starts after a ATF change.

Few in this forum travels more than I do, few do more heavily trailer pulling.

Most of my travel involves vehicle seats stored and vehicle full of stuff, plus a heavily loaded trailer.

I'm traveling right now, vehicle loaded, no trailer this time.

Sorry, but your are incorrect.

·
Registered
92 Posts
  • You are 100% incorrect. You are just wasting your money and contaminating the planet.
People who knows me, also know I never, ever change ATF. (Is not an advise, it is just my way).

Most of my vehicles are over 500,000 miles, never, ever had a transmission problem (other than due to an accident).

So I can safely say you are 100% incorrect.

My opinion is, most transmission problems starts after a ATF change.

Few in this forum travels more than I do, few do more heavily trailer pulling.

Most of my travel involves vehicle seats stored and vehicle full of stuff, plus a heavily loaded trailer.

I'm traveling right now, vehicle loaded, no trailer this time.

Sorry, but your are incorrect.
Anecdotal evidence is anecdotal.

You have gotten lucky, nothing more, nothing less. I suppose you never change your engine oil or coolant either, I mean, you wouldn't want to harm the planet and waste your money right?

I have worked on and cured enough of these transmissions to say with full confidence, you've proven nothing other than you are a very lucky person. Kudos to you on being lucky, hopefully it doesn't run out.

Some anecdote to counter your anecdote: 9/10 of the vehicles running this trans I have bought with "bad" transmissions (according to transmission shops) gave me another 100k of service after a simple fluid/filter change.

The 2 biggest killers of these 4 speeds is and will always be:
1. Lack of maintenance.
2. Wrong fluid/filter.
PERIOD.

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
9,605 Posts
Anecdotal evidence is anecdotal.

You have gotten lucky, nothing more, nothing less. I suppose you never change your engine oil or coolant either, I mean, you wouldn't want to harm the planet and waste your money right?

I have worked on and cured enough of these transmissions to say with full confidence, you've proven nothing other than you are a very lucky person. Kudos to you on being lucky, hopefully it doesn't run out.

Some anecdote to counter your anecdote: 9/10 of the vehicles running this trans I have bought with "bad" transmissions (according to transmission shops) gave me another 100k of service after a simple fluid/filter change.

The 2 biggest killers of these 4 speeds is and will always be:
1. Lack of maintenance.
2. Wrong fluid/filter.
PERIOD.
Lucky? with that many vehicles and that many miles?

And you wrong again with coolant and engine oil.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Lucky? with that many vehicles and that many miles?

And you wrong again with coolant and engine oil.
Sorry, I'll choose to take the advice of the transmission guys able to take these transmissions 200k+ under hard abuse over one guy who happened to take a few to 500k (as he claims, I find 500k without a fluid/filter change to be extremely unbelievable, especially given what I know of these transmissions and how finicky they are with fluid and contaminants).

If you've worked on and fixed as many of these transmissions as I have over the decades, you might think differently. Especially when so many of them were fixed by a simple fluid/filter change, even after transmission techs claimed the trans was junk.

The fact is, the majority of people who've had transmission issues also have never changed their fluid/filter, and that majority is far more than your few examples.

And wrong on the coolant and oil? I mean you're worried about the planet, so why change either, you're just doing more harm to it. While you're at it, you better ensure your tires are recycled, ensure your suspension components don't end up in landfills, etc, cause all of those will harm the environment too.

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
9,605 Posts
And wrong on the coolant and oil? I mean you're worried about the planet, so why change either, you're just doing more harm to it. While you're at it, you better ensure your tires are recycled, ensure your suspension components don't end up in landfills, etc, cause all of those will harm the environment too.
You are newbie here, so you don't know me.

I'm not giving advice to anyone.
I change engine oil every 3000 miles or so, mostly after a trip, most of my trips are over 3000 miles anyway.

Engine oil gets contaminated by combustion by-products, ATF don't.

Anyways the more you talk, the worst you look.

If you've worked on and fixed as many of these transmissions as I have over the decades, you might think differently. Especially when so many of them were fixed by a simple fluid/filter change, even after transmission techs claimed the trans was junk.
I work on vehicles every now and then, but not much, I just have one of my guys do it for me.

When I do it, I do it for pleasure, not because I can't pay for someone to do it.

Back to my trip, think whatever you want to think, it wouldn't make a difference anyways.

·
Registered
92 Posts
You are newbie here, so you don't know me.

I'm not giving advice to anyone.
I change engine oil every 3000 miles or so, mostly after a trip, most of my trips are over 3000 miles anyway.

Engine oil gets contaminated by combustion by-products, ATF don't.

Anyways the more you talk, the worst you look.

I work on vehicles every now and then, but not much, I just have one of my guys do it for me.

When I do it, I do it for pleasure, not because I can't pay for someone to do it.

Back to my trip, think whatever you want to think, it wouldn't make a difference anyways.

I maybe a newbie to this forum, but I've been keeping 4 speed Chryslers on the road for decades and helped many people keep theirs on the road. Your input on this subject is a severe outlier, and if anyone here takes your words to heart, they will end up yet another person bitching about Chrysler transmissions.

FYI, transmission fluid gets contaminated by clutch particles, metal particles, and gets worn down from friction and heat. Not only is transmission fluid acting as a lubricant, like engine oil, it also acts as hydraulic fluid. To think transmission fluid doesn't need to be changed is severe false information and quite frankly, couldn't be more wrong.

If this is seriously the kind of false insight people can expect on this forum, it's no wonder many people leave.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts