The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I know that it's absolutely possible for the reman to be kapoots but wanted to run this through all the gurus around here.
So I put it in, go to start, only produces the whirring noise. I can't tell for certain if it's actually spinning the flywheel but I will say this...
If I set key to acc, climber under and short the big positive terminal to the one right next it, the pinion(right?) just spins. Shouldn't it
move a bit outward first? Ok, so, it WILL click out if I don't do the short method but then...it won't spin! I'm at a loss.

I will ask, the two larger battery connections you attach to the starter, mainly speaking of the negative that sits between two nuts which
are attached to one of two main mounting bolts...of which this one isn't all the way in (ease of testing) and two, the loop that goes over the
bolt for the negative, the loop is only touching one of the nuts...more than like going to be an issue where possibly not enough go juice hitting
starter? Anyway, thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Reman starters are junk all the time, to the point I'd rather use a Junkyard starter than buy a reman.
I would however get your connections properly sorted before grabbing another starter

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Reman starters are junk all the time, to the point I'd rather use a Junkyard starter than buy a reman.
I would however get your connections properly sorted before grabbing another starter
Shortly after I posted this I went outside to do just that and the sky decided my little corner of New Mexico needed even MORE rain and hours later, still doing it! I'll get around to that, lol.

Another question?
Lets say I get this sorted out, the starter makes proper contact with flywheel and does that correctly. But still no start. I spray some starter fluid in the intake...nuffin. I'm assuming the next best place to check would be spark. I know how to leave a plug on the boot and seeing if it arcs near some metal but would a single bad plug result in a no start? I only ask because you can obviously make a single plug not do it's sparky goodness while the engine is running and while she will not like it, engine keeps going. So not sure why it would stop it from starting in first place?

·
Super Moderator
30,138 Posts
This is as simple as it gets. What exactly are you doing? Where are you at in the process?
Rectangle Parallel Font Drawing Line art

Nothing = dead wiring

One click = relay working

One click and nothing else = dead starter (give it a hit)

Lots of clicking = weak current to starter possibly/most likely

Whirring = starter turning over

Cranking = starter engaging flywheel and turning it

• Helpful
Reactions: Carbuff2
1 - 5 of 5 Posts