The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to introduce myself, long time forum member @JeepGarage.net, RamForums, and Trail4Runner,com avid Motörhead, joined for being at a complete loss as to where to go for an issue on 2012 Caravan.
So here goes 2012 Ram Caravan 3.6l, back I. June of this year, p305 cylinder 5 misfire, switched coil s around to no remedy, slight surge at Idle with some hesitation and felt like it wanted to stall but didn’t, hesitation cleared up after about 1200 rpms. with almost 92k, decided to switch all coil packs and go from there.
Actually made problem worse after new coil packs installed created checked all hoses fitting’s etc. no issues. Took to shop, diagnosed with low compression on 3 cylinder’s cylinder 5 was one of them.
Warranty enacted and paid for LKQ warranted used engine with 82k. After install cylinder 5 misfire p305 returned, diagnosed cam sensor, replaced and all as well until next morning, P305 yet again, new crank sensor replaced by shop, still got 305, checked fuel injector’s, fuel, rail, engine compression, MAP sensor, MAF sensor, IAT sensor and IAC, all within prescribed limits. Checked harness all was good, new PCM installed great on start up, several minutes later 305 returns, another new PCM great at start very slight hesitation, overnight the Devil came back with a 305 yet again. The shop is at a standstill, can not figure this out it has been 4 month’s with no remedy, warranty company has paid shop already and 1500 out of pocket was paid for work.
What am I missing here I have built and rebuilt and and am pretty knowledgeable on repairs I pride myself in knowing what I’m doing and doing the majority of my own work.
I have had many vehicles in my 57 years and this thing is ready to make me lose my mind.
All electrical, fuel and air requirement’s are being met, the suck, bang, and blow is fine engine runs above 12k rpm, no miss, hesitation or stalling. Cleaned throttle bottle, replaced IAC, and IAT sensor’s, could this be some type of ignition break down.?
Either way I’m ready to call it quits and see if it falls under Magnusson-Moss against the shop they replaced the engine due to an initially being diagnosed with the p305 under the original engine and then after engine replacement and just about every part being thrown at it, right back to the same thing. Any Ideas ?

·
Registered
2005 Town & Country base 3.3L
44 Posts
Sounds like you've been through ****. I have read that the 3.6 was prone to burning valves which cause misfires. The heads were updated to fix this over the years. Is the shop for sure the compression is good on the engine? I'd want multiple tests just in case the valve seals one time but not the other.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts