The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to this site and love my caravan! Have a rusted out 2000 Grand Caravan with a freshly dead transmission and a leaking rear main seal that has served well for 300K miles. Pulling any luxury systems and block and tranny before having it crushed. The body is that bad. Recently purchased a perfectly clean and functional 1999 Caravan for $400. Wife doesn't like lack of electric windows, remote door locks, and the rear secondary air conditioning.

I realize the rear air might not happen because the Grand Caravan being 7 inches longer and the air parts are crammed into the right rear interior panel, but I have a couple general questions;

1) What are the mechanics with the remote door locks? Are there individual radios in each lock? Or is there a central module somewhere? Is the main computer involved in any way?

2) The front doors appear identical, but will I run into any trouble with the electric windows and any wiring harness mods?

3) What is the best way to find information on all of the available factory upgrades for the 1999 Caravan?

Thanks, I plan to contribute and give back here as I go...

·
Latent car nut
9,204 Posts
Sorry to say the electricals will be your biggest issue; an issue so very big I wouldn't even know where to begin.

·
Registered
37 Posts
New to this site and love my caravan! Have a rusted out 2000 Grand Caravan with a freshly dead transmission and a leaking rear main seal that has served well for 300K miles. Pulling any luxury systems and block and tranny before having it crushed. The body is that bad. Recently purchased a perfectly clean and functional 1999 Caravan for $400. Wife doesn't like lack of electric windows, remote door locks, and the rear secondary air conditioning.

I realize the rear air might not happen because the Grand Caravan being 7 inches longer and the air parts are crammed into the right rear interior panel, but I have a couple general questions;

1) What are the mechanics with the remote door locks? Are there individual radios in each lock? Or is there a central module somewhere? Is the main computer involved in any way?

2) The front doors appear identical, but will I run into any trouble with the electric windows and any wiring harness mods?

3) What is the best way to find information on all of the available factory upgrades for the 1999 Caravan?

Thanks, I plan to contribute and give back here as I go...

So if it was my van I would pull the dash and dash harness back(very modular when disassembling). I have found the HVAC system is different from my 97TC to 99SE. You can do a quick check by pulling the hvac panel and look at the plug (mine was black in the 99). Also if your "rusted van" has dual AC zones the hvac box under dash will be different than the base mdl van. By moving the dash and dash harness you will gain the power windows and frills of the old van. I would assume you would need to rebuild each door to gain the power locks and power windows. I know it sounds like alot of work but the main body harness runs down the center of the van under the carpet and branches off after that. Just park the vans side by side and the swap will go quick

·
Registered
10,142 Posts
Welcome!

The front doors are identical and they will interchange with no problem.

·
Registered
801 Posts
I did a power window swap into a 97 Caravan that had manual windows, it was a piece of cake, everything fit as it should, there's no interaction with the BCM, it just needs 12 volts to operate.

The door locks are tied to the BCM. this gets a little more involved.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts