The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

New to me 2018 DGC GT

4K views 28 replies 13 participants last post by  James A. Doty 
#1 ·
Hi, I purchased a Hertz rental and have 7 days to bring it back no questions asked so I had it inspected. The power steering and coolant are very low. Front bumper has been replaced.

Question is: Where are the most likely places that the power steering and coolant would be leaking from?

We can find no visible signs of a leak. The vehicle was last scanned at 2900 miles (we assume thats when the bumper may have been changed). It has 42k on it now. I have 2 days to bring this girl back if need be.

Thanks

#2 · (Edited)
Shouldn't be leaking from anywhere on a 2018. Warranty coverage?

Low meaning what?: What line cold? Coolant low in the radiator or reservoir? You have to check the radiator level for a more meaningful measurement.

Power steering fluid may have backed up in the reservoir and overflowed if somebody manually turned the wheels while they were off the ground. What level is it at cold? Check around reservoir for spillage.

Any Carfax available? What's the tire wear tell you as for alignment?

Inspected by a licensed Mechanic? Did he/she look for leaks. Should have.

#3 ·
No, its not under factory warranty. The coolant level in the reservoir is about 1 inch below the min line. It's also purple which means it was topped off. I have not checked the radiator level. I see some evidence of leakage under the upper radiator hose at the radiator. Power steering is just right under the min line on the reservoir. I see what looks like some dirt and grime under the fittings at the rack and pinion, driver side looking down in rear of the engine bay.

Carfax mentions nothing. Has a very slight pull to one side unless it was just the crown in the road.

Mechanic didn't have a lift but jacked it up, drove it, and scanned it. I'm bringing to one with a lift Monday.

#18 ·
This^

I would never buy an ex-rental myself. I've rented too many cars and see how they treat them. Example: I rented a Minivan for a 6000 km trip and the oil life was at 2%. I said it will be way overdue when I return but all the guy did was reset the monitor and said "now you are good".

My 2012 T & C is an ex-rental. Very nice trouble free vehicle, bought it @ 42,000 miles.

My 2017 DGC is also an ex-rental. No complaints either. Bouht it with less than 2,000 miles on it.

Ex-rentals often have options not available on regular vehicles.

If you suspect it was involved in an accident, double check before you buy.

Nothing wrong with ex-rentals.

#5 ·
IMHO unless you got a TREMENDOUS buy on this car and feel like taking a chance on the revealed problems being all you'll find, I'd return it. The leaking coolant and power steering may indicate there was more damage than immediately appears (AC condenser, transmission cooler or lines for instance). There's always another good or even better buy out there.

#8 ·
I agree on passing on this one. But we’ve had great luck with ex rentals. Been through a Chevy lumina and 2 impalas. No major issues on any of them. Now trying our luck on a 2019 Caravan SXT. Really liking it so far. And I’ve got 4 years left on the power train warranty with the low yearly mileage we put on.

#10 ·
Low mileage ex rentals / buy backs work for me. Problems are worked out by the time I buy them. :)

Your front fascia/bumper, was it replaced or taken off and repainted?

#11 ·
Our 2006 Caravan had 3k on it when we bought it ex rental in Florida. Pretty much gave it away as we were moving and had to sell it quick. Had it for 12 years and it a was brilliant car. Our current T&C had 15k when we bought it ex-rental. Has been a good car too overall. I never had any doubts like you though. You don't want the ' regret seed ' taking root. Take it back. Hertz is a very murky company.

#12 ·
I hope to have my 2013 Town and Country Touring delivered Wednesday, that's the day I'm told to expect it. It too is an ex rental van, but it's an AMS Vans wheelchair conversion and I could afford it.

AMS did a complete inspection, they did an oil and filter change, cabin filter change, alignment, replaced the missing knob and dust cover for the USB port on the 430 (Is that it?) radio, then gave it a bath.

Carfax listed all the maintenance done on the van but yeah, like most if not all large car rental companies, Enterprise is self insured and there's no history to report as to if the van had ever been involved in an accident.

The van is at AMS Vans in Texas (was, I hope, it was due to ship out last Friday 2/7/2020), and I'm in SW Washington so I didn't get to look it over, but I saw lots of photos of the interior and the exterior and the van "looks" great. The van has 72,140 miles on it which isn't likely too unusual for a seven year old rental van.

I expect the headphones, and the remote for the DVD player are missing and will need to be replaced. If this van came with the rechargeable flashlight it is likely missing as well. I hope it isn't too big a deal to replace any of these items if they're missing.

I have my concerns. If I spot any issues when the van is delivered I have the right to refuse delivery and the van will go back to Texas. I also got a three year warranty on the engine, transmission, wiring, and hvac system so I'll have that to fall back on if need be. That doesn't cover a few things in the van, but certainly covers the bulk of the expensive items.

Wheelchair conversion vans new enough and with low enough miles to finance start at over $22,000 (average). This one set me back almost $32,000. But I got all the features I wanted except heated seats, remote start, adjustable foot pedals, and power folding mirrors. I can live without most of these items, but heated seats would have been amazing. :)

Sorry about droning on but I am excited about my purchase. I'm driving my friends completely crazy. I now have to start all my emails to my friends with "This is about the van" in the subject line.

All that said, it's important to be aware of what you're getting in to with an ex rental car.

#16 ·
Ever since I've been driving, and that's been since 1979. I've only had one car and it was a 1969 Ford Torino GT, it was a cool car, but I couldn't go anywhere with it by myself. All the rest of my vehicles have been vans.
1979 - 1975 Ford E150 short wheelbase with power transfer seat, Goldenboy lift, power sliding door, and drop floor.
1980 - 1969 Ford Torino GT.
1996 - 1978 Ford E150 with Ricon lift, drop floor, and power sliding door.
2004 - 1981 Ford E150 with Ricon lift, drop floor, and power sliding door.
2012 - 1986 Dodge Caravan LE with manual rotating seat, unknown branded power bi-fold ramp, drop floor, and power gullwing door.
2018 - 1985 Ford E150 with manual rotating seat, Ricon lift, drop floor, and power barn doors.
2020 - 2013 Chrysler Town and Country Touring with power transfer seat AMS bi-fold ramp, drop floor, and power sliding doors. It's supposed to arrive Wednesday.

I've been in a wheelchair since 1973, four manual chairs (All E&J) and eight powerchairs from Abec, Invacare, Fortress Scientific, Quickie, Pride Mobility, and Permobil.

So, yeah, I need a wheelchair van.

Sorry about the quality of some of the photos.

Unlike all my other vans the first van was just four years old when I bought it. No, that's not me in the photo but check out the size of those casters on that Quickie P300.

Amazingly enough I don't have any pre-wreck photos of the third van. The van in the background is a 1979 Ford E250 with a drop floor, a Ricon lift, and power sliding door.

#23 ·
Ever since I've been driving, and that's been since 1979. I've only had one car and it was a 1969 Ford Torino GT, it was a cool car, but I couldn't go anywhere with it by myself. All the rest of my vehicles have been vans.
1979 - 1975 Ford E150 short wheelbase with power transfer seat, Goldenboy lift, power sliding door, and drop floor.
1980 - 1969 Ford Torino GT.
1996 - 1978 Ford E150 with Ricon lift, drop floor, and power sliding door.
2004 - 1981 Ford E150 with Ricon lift, drop floor, and power sliding door.
2012 - 1986 Dodge Caravan LE with manual rotating seat, unknown branded power bi-fold ramp, drop floor, and power gullwing door.
2018 - 1985 Ford E150 with manual rotating seat, Ricon lift, drop floor, and power barn doors.
2020 - 2013 Chrysler Town and Country Touring with power transfer seat AMS bi-fold ramp, drop floor, and power sliding doors. It's supposed to arrive Wednesday.

I've been in a wheelchair since 1973, four manual chairs (All E&J) and eight powerchairs from Abec, Invacare, Fortress Scientific, Quickie, Pride Mobility, and Permobil.

So, yeah, I need a wheelchair van.

Sorry about the quality of some of the photos.

Unlike all my other vans the first van was just four years old when I bought it. No, that's not me in the photo but check out the size of those casters on that Quickie P300.

Amazingly enough I don't have any pre-wreck photos of the third van. The van in the background is a 1979 Ford E250 with a drop floor, a Ricon lift, and power sliding door.

View attachment 57327
I remember you posting about that bus (assuming it's the same one) over on WCJ a long while ago. Anyway, excited for you getting a "new" van. I think you will like it. It's a nice upgrade from a 1986 van.

#21 ·
It had a cracked facia, was parked for long time.

Asked if they wanted to sell it like that.

They asked me to make an offer, I did made an offer. Couple of days later they called me to let me know they accepted my offer.

Now, it looks like that (gray one).

#24 ·
Yup, still have the bus. The lift is now set up on a wireless fob, it's a nice touch. My buddies and I use the bus once or twice a year for ham radio stuff.

I'm excited about buying the 2013 Town and Country Touring. It's tough keeping the '86 Caravan running, some of the spare parts are difficult or impossible to come by.

#25 ·
My thinking is that if your van has had the bumper replaced and pulls to one side that is enough evidence to indicate there is hidden damage. If they are selling this vehicle for less than a comparable vehicle with similar mileage then they are trying to unload it.
Rental agencies have hundreds of comparables available.
Are you sure the balance of factory bumper to bumper warranty isn’t available. Of course if the existing damage was caused by the accident then the warranty won’t cover that.
Run don’t walk. IMO

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.